PDA

View Full Version : Best Good, Cheap String

JongJong
08-28-2009, 07:56 PM
What string is really good AND cheap? I want this thread to be used for future searchers looking for a good cheap string so please vote honestly and provide a good reason. Also if you believe a hybrid of strings or a string not listed is the best choice please post it.

Hokiez
08-29-2009, 05:23 AM
Thread fail. Pro Supex is a brand, not a string type, Cyberflash is a poly and you then have 2 syn guts. No way to compare them to say what is a "good" string as each persons playing style is different, much less the Best. It's like, but even worse than, saying what the best racquet is. Are you a 70yo 3.0 woman? A 21yo D1 college player? Depending on how you play, that will dictate what the best inexpensive string is.

What's the best cheap software?
What's the best cheap car?
What's the best cheap furniture?
What's the best cheap food?
What's the best cheap vacation?

None of those can be answered without vast amounts of further information.

Valjean
08-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Toalson's Leoina 66.

canadave
08-29-2009, 06:19 AM
What string is really good AND cheap? I want this thread to be used for future searchers looking for a good cheap string so please vote honestly and provide a good reason. Also if you believe a hybrid of strings or a string not listed is the best choice please post it.

I'm not sure I'd put it quite as harshly as Hokiez did, but the thread does indeed, for lack of a less harsh word, "fail."

If your intent, as in the bolded section above, is to give future searchers a place to look for "good cheap string", can we then logically assume from your very limited and somewhat flawed poll (flawed, due to the reasons Hokiez pointed out) that there are only four possible good cheap strings (discounting the fact that Pro Supex is a brand name for many different strings)?

I know you said if a string isn't listed please post it, but is four "strings" really all you could come up with as an initial start to the poll? :confused:

Hokiez
08-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Perhaps it was a little harsh, sorry for that. But it's also like the third one of these "best cheap" polls he's started. There is a search function for a reason.

Best Cheap Overgrip
Best Cheap Racquet

Irvin
08-29-2009, 06:26 AM
'Best' and 'Good' and opinions of the individual player. Many people like Prince SG with and without Duraflex, I can't stand the stuff. Your mixing apples and oranges here. A Co-Poly with two synthetic guts and one brand of string (Pro-Supex.)

'Cheap,' now that is easy to answer, Gosen OG Micro is the cheapest in your list although all around I like the 16 gauge better.

Irvin

hoodjem
08-29-2009, 06:28 AM
I would vote for either of the first two.

But be aware that they are like apples and oranges: poly versus synth--not comparable.

P.S. I like Gosen OGSM 18g even better (and CF 1.20 is the best IMO.)

Irvin
08-29-2009, 06:30 AM
...I know you said if a string isn't listed please post it, but is four "strings" really all you could come up with as an initial start to the poll? :confused:

I think four or five is the limit to the number of selections you can have in a poll. Maybe it would be better to have separate polls for best SG, best poly, best multi, best durability, best etc...

Irvin

canadave
08-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Perhaps it was a little harsh, sorry for that. But it's also like the third one of these "best cheap" polls he's started. There is a search function for a reason.

Best Cheap Overgrip
Best Cheap Racquet

I see what you mean now that I checked his posts. I think he thinks he's being helpful by posting all these "best" threads. Other posts he's made seem perfectly normal, so I doubt it's trolling.

But, JongJong, just so you know, these "best" threads are completely pointless and useless, and not really helpful to anyone, now or in the future. There is never any objective "best" thing in tennis equipment, whether it's racquets, strings, overgrips, or whatever. Everyone's different, and everyone will have a different subjective opinion--not to mention that few people have had the necessary experience using the various equipment in order to compare them intelligently. For instance I've only tried two or three different strings; it'd be silly for me to comment on which of the hundreds of different strings out there is "best".

jimstorm
08-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I see what you mean now that I checked his posts. I think he thinks he's being helpful by posting all these "best" threads. Other posts he's made seem perfectly normal, so I doubt it's trolling.

But, JongJong, just so you know, these "best" threads are completely pointless and useless, and not really helpful to anyone, now or in the future. There is never any objective "best" thing in tennis equipment, whether it's racquets, strings, overgrips, or whatever. Everyone's different, and everyone will have a different subjective opinion--not to mention that few people have had the necessary experience using the various equipment in order to compare them intelligently. For instance I've only tried two or three different strings; it'd be silly for me to comment on which of the hundreds of different strings out there is "best".

UMM i disagree about your its not helpful to post BEST things... although everybody has a different opinion, enough people on this site know what they are talking about enough to the point that they can give good ideas of things for people who dont know what to do or use. although you have only tried 3 strings, you found the one that is best for you, and now someone with a similar game to you can look and say that that may be best for them too...

Quadium
08-29-2009, 01:41 PM
MSV Focus hex is a good deal for 8 bucks

Casco
08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
You list various kinds. The best poly line IMO is WeissCANNON and they're prices are reasonable, though not cheap. I think they're multis and new mullti/monos are tops, too.

goosala
08-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I like the Pro Supex Titan syn gut in a 17 gauge. It is soft and plays well with awesome feel. Forten Sweet 17 is a great cheap string too.

Fedace
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Gosen got the lead so far. i had no idea that gosen is any good.

Deck
08-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I've used the OG Sheep micro 17 many times as a cross in hybrid stringing and it is a great bargain.

wksoh
08-31-2009, 06:35 AM
Eagnas Polynova Titanium - it came free with the drop weight stringer. I like it... ^^

JongJong
09-02-2009, 04:18 AM
i know 10 char

Federafa23
09-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Pro Supex Maxim Touch - only 8 bucks and has a very nice play

stanfordtennis alum
09-02-2009, 03:33 PM
this is not an accurate poll by any means as you have a syn gut, a poly, an entire string brand