PDA

View Full Version : What's a Donnay user to do about grommets?

sstchur
08-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm demoing the Donnay Pro One (mid) and loving it, but am very hesitant about buying b/c my understanding is that grommets are not readily available, nor are there plans to make them available any time soon (and once the current stock of Donnays is gone, that's it).

I'm trying to get verification of this from TW, but I expect the worse.

Assuming I don't have the money to stock up on racquets (because I don't) are there any alternatives besides using a different racquet?

Is there any chance that other grommets could fit, or anything you can do to strengthen the grommets or preserve them?

I'd really love to make the switch to this racquet, but this issue is almost a deal breaker.

Any (practical) suggestions?

Power Player
08-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Let me know what you find out. I am just going to suck it up and buy some more and see what happens. Sucks, but I am not sure what else to do.

sstchur
08-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Let me know what you find out. I am just going to suck it up and buy some more and see what happens. Sucks, but I am not sure what else to do.

I'll definitely let you know what I find.

It sucks, but I'm seriously considering looking for a different stick now just because of this issue. Maybe I'll be surprised and there will be a good solution... we'll see.

Plazma
08-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Is producing grommets such a big deal? I wonder all the time why noone produces new edge grommets...

BreakPoint
08-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Is producing grommets such a big deal? I wonder all the time why noone produces new edge grommets...
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that creating the mold to make grommets costs more than creating the mold to produce the frame itself.

sstchur
08-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that creating the mold to make grommets costs more than creating the mold to produce the frame itself.

But given that grommets for it existed in the past, one would assume that that mold already exists and need not be created anew?

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 10:13 PM
you could see if anyone has any on the forums. I actually still have a grommet set and a bumper set for the Pro One.

BreakPoint
08-28-2009, 10:14 PM
But given that grommets for it existed in the past, one would assume that that mold already exists and need not be created anew?
True, but they stopped making both the frame and the grommets a long time ago. TW is just selling off the stock that they've had in inventory for a while. Remember that these racquets were a one-time special build for TW from a custom order that was made a couple of years ago. It's too bad that TW hasn't been able to convince Donnay to make some more grommets. :(

sstchur
08-28-2009, 10:43 PM
you could see if anyone has any on the forums. I actually still have a grommet set and a bumper set for the Pro One.

Actually, I wonder if anyone can comment on the durability of the Pro One (mid) grommets? I've heard that the OS grommets are very very poor.

Are the mids also poor? Normally, I don't worry too much about grommets (I string my own racquets and don't really run into any problems), but if the Pro One grommets are especially weak (and it sounds like they might be) that really makes it an unfortunate problem.

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
i think they fixed the problem with the Pro One OS grommets. I've had mine for awhile now and the grommets are fine. A bit worn, but fine.

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Mine lasted a fairly long amount, still the original grommets, no cracks, nothing. Maybe constant string breakers should have to watch out?

Deuce
08-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Broken grommets can always be tubed - so that's not where I see the issue.

To me, the issue is more the bumper. When part of the bumper wears out, and the top of the frame is exposed, there isn't much one can do without a replacement bumper.

furyoku_tennis
08-29-2009, 01:36 AM

To me, the issue is more the bumper. When part of the bumper wears out, and the top of the frame is exposed, there isn't much one can do without a replacement bumper.

on the bright side, at least you can use guard tape to temporarily cover the exposed part of the frame.

v205
08-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Buy the last few L4 and L5 on TW just for the grommats... :(

sstchur
08-29-2009, 06:34 AM

I'm not very knowledgeable about that... what does it mean? How does one tube a broken grommet?

Gorecki
08-29-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm not very knowledgeable about that... what does it mean? How does one tube a broken grommet?

i believe he refers to Fittex individual grommets, availiable here:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-GROMMET.html

when all choices are down we can always use protect tape and these individual grommets!

does anyone think a good idea for ALPHA (and TW) to make Fittex sets for the most common models? like the bumperless POG or the PS 6.0 Chicago?

mrw
08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I have 3 mids and 3 spare sets of grommets which I bought when T/W made them available last year.

Overall, the mid grommets hold up very well. I wouldn't anticipate any unusual wear. I string my own and do so pretty often. All mine are intact and looking good.

Deuce
08-29-2009, 10:46 PM
i believe he refers to Fittex individual grommets, availiable here:

^ No - I'm not referring to the Fittex grommets - for the simple reasons that my experience with them has been that they crack within a few months, and that they are ridiculously overpriced here.

I am referring to tubing...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-GTUBE50.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-GTUBING.html

Gorecki
08-30-2009, 02:29 AM
^ No - I'm not referring to the Fittex grommets - for the simple reasons that my experience with them has been that they crack within a few months, and that they are ridiculously overpriced here.

I am referring to tubing...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-GTUBE50.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-GTUBING.html

Sorry Your Highness.... I Ask for your forgiveness. it' my humble fault that i didnt guess all your personal experiences in Tennis... it will never happen again!:evil:

i will go to that corner now and beat myself to oblivion for commiting such terrible mistake as to thinking you were refering to a different solution...:evil:

Deuce
08-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Sorry Your Highness.... I Ask for your forgiveness. it' my humble fault that i didnt guess all your personal experiences in Tennis... it will never happen again!:evil:

i will go to that corner now and beat myself to oblivion for commiting such terrible mistake as to thinking you were refering to a different solution...:evil:
^ What in god's name is your problem?

You posted incorrect information regarding the meaning of my post. And I corrected it, while at the same time providing 'sstchur' with links whereby he can find tubing.
Is this honestly a big deal to you?
Where on Earth is the problem here?

Jesus....

endbegin
09-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I went through this decision process before I got my Donnays a few months ago. At the time, TW was in the process of getting new grommets for the MidPlus because the earlier version was too "soft", but it turns out the new batch came out soft too. So TW is just going to liquidate their stock of Donnay (a.k.a Dunlop) racquets.

You can go with tubing for individual grommets, or you can search for custom grommet manufacturers online.