PDA

View Full Version : Corsses: top down? bottom up? middle out? [ya just kidding on middle out]

Pentikal
08-29-2009, 01:03 AM
OK so i recently got a crank stringer (eagnas flex 940 if your wondering). by recently i mean yesterday afternoon. i have since set up and strung 4 racquets. Head Liq Metal Rad OS 18x19 (that was fun...); a MG Prestige Pro, and two MG Extreme pro's.

i know head recommends stringing crosses top down (as i read in another thread some time ago when researching stringing at home.) but what do it do if i don't know which direction to start the crosses. for example i have a APD non-cortex on my machine right now with the mains in, and i was about to start the crosses and had a thought. which was ":confused:".

so all this long winded gibberish aside, what do i do when it comes to crosses in general. is it better to string them top down like head recommends? do other brands to this?

also, where can i go to find out about what's recommended for any given racquets besides whats printed on the throat.

also i am about to string the APD top down so its not just sitting on my machine. so..........if this is bad.......... ill look like this later ":cry:" haha

thanks =)

kaibaNYC06
08-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Companies like wilson and babolat don't care if you string crosses bottom up or top down. If in doubt, you're probly better off just always stringing top down.

Ljubicic for number1
08-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Just string top down on everything.

Why were you just kidding about middle out? Its a legitimate process called 50/50

Pentikal
08-29-2009, 02:10 AM
Companies like wilson and babolat don't care if you string crosses bottom up or top down. If in doubt, you're probly better off just always stringing top down.

Ah i see. thanks!

Just string top down on everything.

Why were you just kidding about middle out? Its a legitimate process called 50/50

because i've never heard of it personally. haha. good to know, is there any advantage to stringing a 50/50 cross?

Irvin
08-29-2009, 03:05 AM
... haha. good to know, is there any advantage to stringing a 50/50 cross?

First of all I would suggest you string all rackets according to the manufacturer's recommended process. When it doubt call them and ask they are usually eager to answer your questions.

I like to string most racket crosses top down so when the mains end in the throat I use an ATW pattern if using one piece stringing. When doing two piece it is usually top down.

I have Prince O port rackets. There is some problems associated with those rackets. If you ever string one you will see what I mean. I string them sometimes from the center to the top and then the bottom half of the racket. This process makes all the string pull normally which does not happen if you don't have a boomerang or some other tool or process to string the racket. That process is known as a 2 piece 50/50. I checked with Prince and it is a legal method.

The original 50/50 method of stringing is a 1 piece was originated by Babolat I believe to string any racket. You take a complete set of string and center it on the racket. After stringing the mains you take the ends and go to the center of the racket and string from center up and down.

Irvin

Valjean
08-29-2009, 03:59 AM
....is there any advantage to stringing a 50/50 cross?
Better consistency, as with two-piece, in my view. However, it is useful to know how to approach tensioning the lower half of the stringbed, after stringing the top first; it tends to make the first few lower crosses tighter than they need to be unless you take that into account with what you do.

50-50 when done in combination with proportional stringing can be very productive.

Eiffel59
08-29-2009, 04:09 AM
The original 50/50 method of stringing is a 1 piece was originated by Babolat I believe to string any racket. You take a complete set of string and center it on the racket. After stringing the mains you take the ends and go to the center of the racket and string from center up and down.

Irvin

Initially it was for stringing the F series from Rossignol (F150/200/250 et al.) to avoid frame distortion due to the particular shape/flex/torsion of that frame series

Virtua Tennis
08-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I do 50/50 all the time with gut less handling makes for a better gut job.