PDA

View Full Version : need help deciding between a few racquets....

iscottius
08-29-2009, 06:06 AM
I play mostly doubles 4.5 and currently use a ncode 6.1 95 16 x 18. I don't like the kfactor 6.1

the racquets I am considering are:

Prince ozone tour
Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT
Head Microgel Prestige Pro

I will demo, but first wanted to hear the boards thoughts. I demoed lighter racquets last month but decided I need to be 11.5 or above

Meaghan
08-29-2009, 06:41 AM
I have tried all three, the MGPP is a nice racket just a little underpowered. Last years PST i liked its spec, just dont like the muted feel. If ou are using the 6.1 then i think the Ozone PRO tour is the best racket with added weight, denser string pattern but with still loads of spin. Lots of power, a great racket

Ljubicic for number1
08-29-2009, 06:57 AM
I think coming from the N95 you need to add the ignite and rebel into the demo.

hoodjem
08-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Don't overlook the Dunlop AG100 at 11.7 oz.

film1
08-29-2009, 07:24 AM
I have some frames including the extreme pro.
I like the wilson k pro tour and it weighs around 11.7 strung.
Very good frame, good specs.
If you demo you will want one.

fuzz nation
08-29-2009, 09:18 AM
I used the 6.1 Classics for a long time and have never topped them in terms of rock solid doubles performance. That leads me to think that I can sort of relate to your situation and I'd agree that the Prince Ozone Tour or heavier Pro Tour could be strong options. I never picked up any of their O3 Hybrid Tours, but I think that they were outstanding modern alternatives to the 6.1/Six-One line from Wilson. They'd play like a ProStaff on a diet.

I also recommend that you look into the Yonex RDS 002 Tour. I had a pair of these in my bag last year and I think that they're among the best S&V/doubles frames around these days. I just didn't keep them because I'm improving as an all court player and the 002 T's didn't quite mesh with my strokes.

amx13
08-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Havent tried the Prince, but I would recommend the PST GT over the Prestige Pro. The PST GT is more comfortable, with more pop, a bit less demanding and with great control. I would give the nod to the Prestige on the net, but by no means the PST is bad at all for volleys. Plus, hitting flat serves with the babolat is just amazing.

[d]ragon
08-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I have tried all three, the MGPP is a nice racket just a little underpowered. Last years PST i liked its spec, just dont like the muted feel. If ou are using the 6.1 then i think the Ozone PRO tour is the best racket with added weight, denser string pattern but with still loads of spin. Lots of power, a great racket

PST more muted than an Ozone? But then again, the n6.1 was rather muted to begin with so it shouldn't be a problem

iscottius, what do you dislike and like about your n6.1?

iscottius
08-29-2009, 12:15 PM
ragon;3863867']PST more muted than an Ozone? But then again, the n6.1 was rather muted to begin with so it shouldn't be a problem

not too much, they are nearing an end played then for 4 years. These are the heaviest frames I can handle. I might want to go a little lighter (or lighter feeling) but don't want to give up the solid feel. Their replacement the k 6.1 has a higher swing weight and is less headlight making it feel even heavier slower than the ncode 6.1. I hands down prefer N over K when it comes to 6.1. cant find any n's new so I am on a search.

iscottius
08-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I have some frames including the extreme pro.
I like the wilson k pro tour and it weighs around 11.7 strung.
Very good frame, good specs.
If you demo you will want one.

Are you recommending the k pro or the extreme pro?

[d]ragon
08-29-2009, 01:07 PM
not too much, they are nearing an end played then for 4 years. These are the heaviest frames I can handle. I might want to go a little lighter (or lighter feeling) but don't want to give up the solid feel. Their replacement the k 6.1 has a higher swing weight and is less headlight making it feel even heavier slower than the ncode 6.1. I hands down prefer N over K when it comes to 6.1. cant find any n's new so I am on a search.

Did you like the feel of the K6.1? Maybe you could have TW match them to your N6.1s

iscottius
08-30-2009, 06:45 AM
I used the 6.1 Classics for a long time and have never topped them in terms of rock solid doubles performance. That leads me to think that I can sort of relate to your situation and I'd agree that the Prince Ozone Tour or heavier Pro Tour could be strong options. I never picked up any of their O3 Hybrid Tours, but I think that they were outstanding modern alternatives to the 6.1/Six-One line from Wilson. They'd play like a ProStaff on a diet.

I also recommend that you look into the Yonex RDS 002 Tour. I had a pair of these in my bag last year and I think that they're among the best S&V/doubles frames around these days. I just didn't keep them because I'm improving as an all court player and the 002 T's didn't quite mesh with my strokes.

Thanks, will lok at yonex as well.

zidane339
08-30-2009, 09:52 AM
iscottius, what didn't you like about the 320 vo2s?

iscottius
08-30-2009, 03:45 PM
iscottius, what didn't you like about the 320 vo2s?

I could not get used to the grip shape, too rectangular used to wilson. Other than that liked it a lot.

iscottius
08-30-2009, 03:48 PM
ragon;3864016']Did you like the feel of the K6.1? Maybe you could have TW match them to your N6.1s

do not like the k 6.1. May wait for Wilson's next iteration of the 6.1

iscottius
08-30-2009, 03:53 PM
ragon;3864016']Did you like the feel of the K6.1? Maybe you could have TW match them to your N6.1s

do not like the k 6.1. May wait for Wilson's next iteration of the 6.1

film1
08-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Are you recommending the k pro or the extreme pro?

I mean the k pro tour. I think it plays better and has great feel.
It's an excellent frame and I am not using price in the equation.

JackB1
08-30-2009, 04:57 PM

The Ozone Pro is 16 x 18. That is considered a dense pattern?

Ljubicic for number1
08-31-2009, 06:28 AM
The Ozone Pro is 16 x 18. That is considered a dense pattern?

No its not, the Ozone pro tour is 18x20. Non pro is 16x18

JackB1
08-31-2009, 07:28 AM
No its not, the Ozone pro tour is 18x20. Non pro is 16x18

Youre right. I was referring to mine (the regular Tour) is 16 x 18 which would be considered "open", correct?

monomakh
08-31-2009, 08:25 AM
I went from the n6.1 to the Tecnifibre 320. But the Yonex RDS 002 Tour and Bab Pure Storm Tour were stops along the way. For me, those were the best replacements, with the TF320 being the best fit for me.

iscottius
09-03-2009, 03:55 PM
update:
I have demoed the head extreme pro 08 (original) and must say I am digging it. It serves bombs effortlessly, great topspin, even volleys decent. The only shot that is difficult for me right now with the extreme is the slice, but i don't use it often and will work it out. Mine are 11.8 strung with poly and swing very easily. So far so good, big pop. My only complaint is the apdc paint job.

I am going to demo the Prince Ozone Tour next keep you posted

Meaghan
09-04-2009, 01:55 AM
ragon;3863867']PST more muted than an Ozone? But then again, the n6.1 was rather muted to begin with so it shouldn't be a problem

I agree there is a muted feeling from the Prince port hole range of rackets, but IMO this results in an exceptional 'feel' with these particular rackets (Rebel/OPT) which is to do with the floating stringbed.
When Ive hit with the PST this is something I didnt feel (I know this is subjective) although much less muted than hitting with the PDR, it was so muted i didnt even know Id hit the ball!

iscottius
09-13-2009, 08:53 AM
i have decided after significant demoing that I could happily play two or three of the racquets that i demoed.

i play mostly doubles

i decided on the head extreme pro 08nfor the following reasons:

effortless pace on serves, huge sweetspot, manueverability, huge topspin and pretty solid at net.

and they are priced pretty nicely as well as they are closing this frame out.