PDA

View Full Version : how to string a one piece racquet pattern

DownTheLine
08-29-2009, 08:06 AM
i am just wondering because i am normally stringing a two piece racquet pattern and i have to string a one piece for my friend can i just use an around the world stringing pattern or something different?

tennisfreak15347
08-29-2009, 08:20 AM
all-around-the-world stringing pattern IS a one-piece, but you cannot simply use all-around-the-world (ATW) on all racquets.

A regular one-piece stringjob is when you string the short side( let's say the left side for learning's sake) mains, and then you string the long side mains(the right side). the long side mains is composed of the string length of right side of your mains and all of your cross strings. In a normal one-piece, the mains should end at the top, allowing for you to go right into top-to-bottom stringing of the crosses.
If your mains do not end at the top of the racquet, then it requires ATW stringing.

Irvin
08-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Depending on what racket you are talking about a 1 piece job could have the crosses strung bottom to top, top to bottom, or around the world. There are also several ATW and box patterns you could use for 1 piece stringing.

Some rackets are recommended by the manufacturer to be strung 2 piece whether you are using the same string for mains and crosses or not.

Irvin

Lakers4Life
08-29-2009, 11:58 AM
i am just wondering because i am normally stringing a two piece racquet pattern and i have to string a one piece for my friend can i just use an around the world stringing pattern or something different?

Some manufacturer have string pattern diagrams. For one piece jobs, measure your Short Side (SS) from one end of the string set, usually 9.5' to 10.5' depending on the racquet, that will be the center main. When you complete your mains, the long side will start the crosses.

ATW typically are for 18x20 patterns, All you do is leave out the last mains. It's easier if you draw it out first. YULitle has a couple of videos on ATW patterns, but it depends on the racquet. Some Dunlops require ATW patterns. Some brands like Head and Wilson require that crosses at the head, or the warranty may be voided if crosses are started at the throat.

Trickster
08-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Some rackets are recommended by the manufacturer to be strung 2 piece whether you are using the same string for mains and crosses or not.

I presume if you're doing RTW/ATW it doesn't really matter does it? I mean I presume they state 2 piece just to stop novices going throat up?

jim e
08-29-2009, 03:05 PM
I presume if you're doing RTW/ATW it doesn't really matter does it? I mean I presume they state 2 piece just to stop novices going throat up?

You are most likely correct, but this statement below is from the USRSA mag. RSI Aug. 2008 issue. Not my words, but from their technicians at the USRSA.

"HEAD requires that every performance racquet they sell must be strung two-piece, period. With a properly-done two-piece string job, you avoid not only having the crosses installed from the throat to the head, but also any potential problem that might occur with an around-the-world or box pattern, where you might have a 90- or 270-degree turn between a main and a cross, which could break through a section of the frame where the grommets are close together. Because of this, in the unlikely event there was a problem with this frame, Head would have the option of denying the warranty claim due to the one-piece string job".

Irvin
08-29-2009, 03:45 PM

No some head rackets have the mains end at the top and they require two piece stringing.

Irvin

jim e
08-29-2009, 06:14 PM
No some head rackets have the mains end at the top and they require two piece stringing.

Irvin

Absoultely , a good example is the Head MicroGel Prestige Pro MP should be strung with two pieces of string. But the mains end at the head.
This racquet does seem to be a natural for the one-piece stringing technique, and you would probably never have a problem restringing this racquet that way. The Digest specifies two-piece stringing for this. As Head specifies 2 piece stringing of all it's preformance racquets, as the reasons I gave on last post I made on this thread.

Virtua Tennis
08-29-2009, 11:23 PM
You are most likely correct, but this statement below is from the USRSA mag. RSI Aug. 2008 issue. Not my words, but from their technicians at the USRSA.

"HEAD requires that every performance racquet they sell must be strung two-piece, period. With a properly-done two-piece string job, you avoid not only having the crosses installed from the throat to the head, but also any potential problem that might occur with an around-the-world or box pattern, where you might have a 90- or 270-degree turn between a main and a cross, which could break through a section of the frame where the grommets are close together. Because of this, in the unlikely event there was a problem with this frame, Head would have the option of denying the warranty claim due to the one-piece string job".

I blame head for shoddy manufacturing. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a head radical and other racquets come to me with collapsed sides and grommets ripping through the frame. Their quality has dropped since they don't make their own racquets anymore.

jim e
08-30-2009, 06:23 AM
I blame head for shoddy manufacturing. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a head radical and other racquets come to me with collapsed sides and grommets ripping through the frame. Their quality has dropped since they don't make their own racquets anymore.

Just 2 weeks ago I had 3 racquets come to me to string that had the grommets ripping through the frame.(all in the same weekend!!) Yes 2 were Heads, but one was a Wilson. They were new clients, but old racquets,so I guess this happens to other brands as well, not just Head.Since they were new clients, I strung them up as that was their request, I advised against it, and told them that they live with the consequences and advised to replace the racquets.I guess I should have a consent form made up.
Does anyone here use a consent form for situations like this??

iplaybetter
08-30-2009, 10:14 AM
this is really over talked, its not a big thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1mi5z4uAcs
you just take the main string from the long side and go to the crosses if you feel the need to go head to throat and the racket does not do so normaly, go two piece or learn atw

TennezSport
08-30-2009, 10:26 AM
you just take the main string from the long side and go to the crosses if you feel the need to go head to throat and the racket does not do so normaly, go two piece or learn atw

Yeah and if you use the method in the vid to string Head Pro racquets you just voided your warranty, if the racquet cracks as JimE mentioned. Yonex racquets are also in this class, along with some Prince and Volkl models.

Because of this issue and the rise in hybrid stringing, we have implemented 2 piece stringing on all racquets unless 1 piece is indicated by the manuf or customer request. It's always top down with the cross strings, no exceptions. This produces a high level of consistency in our stringing process for all of our customers.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

jim e
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah and if you use the method in the vid to string Head Pro racquets you just voided your warranty, if the racquet cracks as JimE mentioned. Yonex racquets are also in this class, along with some Prince and Volkl models.

Because of this issue and the rise in hybrid stringing, we have implemented 2 piece stringing on all racquets unless 1 piece is indicated by the manuf or customer request. It's always top down with the cross strings, no exceptions. This produces a high level of consistency in our stringing process for all of our customers.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

I absolutely agree with that. I string the majority of racquets as 2 piece as well.Like TennezSport said with all the hybrid stringing,Head now requiring all preformance racquets as 2 piece, and I string a lot of nat. gut, and I find less wear and tear on the gut string using a 2 piece stringing, even if the manuf. says bottom up is allowed, stringing top down with gut, the top cross strings are in the best condition as they are handeled less as well and that is where the majority of the hitting surface is. I go to extermes with gut being as carefull as possible, I even wrap the string around the diablo 2-3 times if I need to repull a gut string a second time for any reason, so as the tension gripper will hold at a different spot on the string.
All you need is to learn to tie a good cinched up knot, and up the tie offs a % if you so desire(thats another topic), and the 2 piece works very well.
Like TennezSport, I will string a 1 piece if indicated by the manuf or customer request, or if I just want to string an ATW just to keep in practice of doing an ATW, otherwise its all 2 piece.

iplaybetter
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
at work on the neos i use a lot of two peice unless a one peice works
at home on my 3000 i string a lot of atw just depends on if im using glide bars or swivel clamps

stoble
08-30-2009, 03:26 PM
This might be a dumb question but I'm a new stringer. Strung 4 frames so far.

Are there any racquets you have to do one piece?

Irvin
08-31-2009, 08:33 AM
at work on the neos i use a lot of two peice unless a one peice works
at home on my 3000 i string a lot of atw just depends on if im using glide bars or swivel clamps

Kind of hard to do an ATW pattern on a glide bar machine like the NEOS unless you pull two strings at a time. lol

Irvin

iplaybetter
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Kind of hard to do an ATW pattern on a glide bar machine like the NEOS unless you pull two strings at a time. lol

Irvin

its just mighty anoying, not worth it imo

Irvin
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
its just mighty anoying, not worth it imo

Annoying? How do you hold a cross string on one side of the racket and a main on the other with a Prince NEOS? I guess it depends on the ATW pattern too some don't require doing that.

Irvin

Virtua Tennis
08-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Annoying? How do you hold a cross string on one side of the racket and a main on the other with a Prince NEOS? I guess it depends on the ATW pattern too some don't require doing that.

Irvin

ATW on a neos you need a starting clamp.

A starting clamp should be in every stringers tool box anyway.

PimpMyGame
09-01-2009, 01:48 AM
This might be a dumb question but I'm a new stringer. Strung 4 frames so far.

Are there any racquets you have to do one piece?

There are some rackets that are suggested as 1-piece only. The only 1 I own is a Donnal Pro-One Supermidsize Ltd Edition. If you wish, you can get around this by opening up grommets to allow 2 pieces of string to pass for tying off. As I only string on a small scale I would rather not get involved in doing something that the racket is not designed for, but I have seen posts from experienced stringers saying that they do this with no issues.

Irvin
09-01-2009, 03:40 AM
ATW on a neos you need a starting clamp.

A starting clamp should be in every stringers tool box anyway.

You do not need to have a starting clamp to do an ATW pattern on any machine, but I have two of them. It depends on the ATW pattern you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RSFu0XhStQ&feature=channel_page

Floating or flying clamps will work in place of a starting clamp also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO9qWaom4cg

Irvin

tennisman917
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM

hey wat happened to your atw video on youtube