PDA

View Full Version : Thin beam and stiff? Thick beam and flexible? Or...

sstchur
08-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Thin beam and flexible?

I just can't decide. I like the Donnay Pro One a lot, but maybe, just maybe it's a touch too flexible for me?

I also tried the Fischer M Comp 95, and spec wise, I feel like they should be very very similar, but they don't really feel like it to me.

I really like the deep ball pocketing feeling, but w/ the Fischer it feels "dead" or "numb" or something... I can't quite put my finger on it, but it lacks feeling. It's only a 20mm beam in terms of its width, but it's kind of "thick" overall, you know what I mean? Its sort of rounded, so it isn't exactly a "skinny" beam.

The donnay gives much much more feedback, which I love, but maybe with that thin a beam, it's a touch too flexible for me? I feel like... maybe lacking stability or something? Not sure.

So now, during my demo process, I'm wondering if I should be considering thin beam (for control and feel that I desire), but a tad stiffer for more... I dunno, more of a solid feel?

I'm also demoing the PK Redondo. Nice. Horrible leather grip on it though, feels like it's going to slip out of my hands. Need to put an overgrip on and try again.

Given that I like the following quite a bit (but am not 100% convinced that any is THE racquet for me), any other recommendations?

Like:
Gamma T-7 (with about 8g of lead in handle; too light in stock form)
Donnay Pro One Mid
PK Redondo 98

Just OK:
Fischer M Comp 95

What else might fit the bill, based on my like of those listed?

Meaghan
08-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Prince Ozone Pro Tour.
18mm beam, fairly stiff, decent feel, lots of spin.

1st Seed
08-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Take a look at the RDiS mid,Could be what you're after.

Gee
08-29-2009, 01:15 PM
PK Black Ace 98. Spec wise very similar to Donnay Pro One Mid.

Trickster
08-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Volkl C10 Pros would definitely be worth consideration....

Power Player
08-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Thin beam and flexible is ideal for me. I love it because I have a lot of touch with my shots. I can control the ball and hit real hard. I know the trend is stiff racquets, and I have some. But I really think you can hit even harder with a flexible racquet because you can put so much beef into it.

I am not sure why racquets are so stiff honestly. I think a pro could hit even harder with more flex, but maybe I'm missing something.

Mansewerz
08-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Thin beam and flexible is ideal for me. I love it because I have a lot of touch with my shots. I can control the ball and hit real hard. I know the trend is stiff racquets, and I have some. But I really think you can hit even harder with a flexible racquet because you can put so much beef into it.

I am not sure why racquets are so stiff honestly. I think a pro could hit even harder with more flex, but maybe I'm missing something.

Why the APDC then? :D

sstchur
08-29-2009, 07:44 PM

Right. "Not stiff" in my mind anyway, means less than 60. Maybe 61, but that's pushing it, and typically I think of "flexible" as being 57, 58 or 59.

Power Player
08-29-2009, 09:29 PM

I forgot to mention that I just got a Donnay and have been hitting with it a lot. I love it for my game. I still have apdcs, but the Donnay is a new toy and it is maybe better for my game, but we shall see.

sstchur
08-30-2009, 07:58 AM
I forgot to mention that I just got a Donnay and have been hitting with it a lot. I love it for my game. I still have apdcs, but the Donnay is a new toy and it is maybe better for my game, but we shall see.

Which one? The mid or the OS?

Power Player
08-30-2009, 10:39 AM
OS..I think the flex rating is 64, but it feels a lot softer then that honestly. To me the flex rating is not always a good benchmark because for example, some of the new Head Speeds are rated around 63, but feel a lot stiffer then the Donnay OS.

markwillplay
08-30-2009, 11:24 AM
hate to be a bandwagon guy but I really think you should demo the becker 11 mid. Flexable but not a noodle. I like the feel off of the string bed better than the donnay pro one but that is becsue it does not feel quite as flexable...even though you can feel it pocket the ball.

sstchur
08-30-2009, 11:58 AM
hate to be a bandwagon guy but I really think you should demo the becker 11 mid. Flexable but not a noodle. I like the feel off of the string bed better than the donnay pro one but that is becsue it does not feel quite as flexable...even though you can feel it pocket the ball.

Can you offer any comparison on the Becker 11 Mid vs the Volkl DNX 10 Mid? I've demo'd the latter, and the Becker 11 Mid looks just like a "rebranded" Volkl DNX 10 Mid, save for a few minor differences.