PDA

View Full Version : Strings for the Pure Drive Roddick GT

2ndserveace
08-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I tried the Pure Drive Roddick GT recently and loved it. Now I have to decide on strings. So what do you all think about the following options:

BBO/Rough
Alu Rough
Weisscannon Silverstring
Blue Gear
Signum Pro Tornado
Hyperion
Ashaway Crossfire II

I also might use some of the following in hybrids together such as: Alu Rough Mains and Silverstring crosses to add a bit of comfort or Signum Pro Tornado and Hyperion. My main concern with these strings is the comfort since I have a history of a little golfer's elbow, but there are a few other things too.

So, which of these strings has the best combination of:

Comfort
Spin
Control
Durability

Thanks in advance for the help

2ndserveace
08-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Bump
10 char

wrxtotoro
08-30-2009, 07:56 PM
I'd use natural gut on it.
I have a non-GT PDR and my arm hurt after 4 hours of playing with any full syn gut or poly/syn gut hybrid.

Rhinosaur
08-31-2009, 07:45 AM
Started with natural gut, but started busting strings after about a week of play. Wasn't going to keep paying natual gut prices every week or two.

Went to ALU Spin, but really didn't like it very much. Many swear by Luxilon strings, but I guess I'm in the minority.

Now using Gamma Asterisk Spin 16 and love it. Spin, power and I went with the 16 over the 17 for some added durability. Easy on the arm, too. Won't break the bank either, although it isn't super cheap.

JRstriker12
08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
I have the old PDR and I currently string with full-blue gear @ 57lbs.

I haven't played with any of the other string except for blue gear. Her's my rating for BG on a scale of 1 (bad) - 5( great)

Comfort - 3 - I don't have TE or GE problems so I'm not too worried about comfort. At lower tensions or in a hybrid, BG can play pretty soft. In a full string job it plays pretty stiff.

Spin - 5 - Good grip on the ball, great spin. You like spin, this is you string.

Control - 4 -Control isn't an issue. Ball can fly on you after losing tension or going dead.

Durability - 3.5 - Pretty durable in my opinion. Your milage may vary depending on your game. Also keep in mind that you get extra wear due to the textured profile.

*EXTRA Note: PRICE - 5 - It may not be as good as Lux, but at around $10 per pack it plays close enough (IMHO), and you can't beat the price.

Nanshiki
08-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Use the same strings as the demo racquet.

2ndserveace
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I can't use natural gut or the demo string (Babolat Attraction) for two reasons. One, they are both way too springy and powerful. Two, I would break them wayyy too fast. I break Alu Power in about 2-3 hours of hitting, and the Attraction had such bad durability that it broke when I was adjusting my strings.

2ndserveace
08-31-2009, 01:50 PM
I have the old PDR and I currently string with full-blue gear @ 57lbs.

I haven't played with any of the other string except for blue gear. Her's my rating for BG on a scale of 1 (bad) - 5( great)

Comfort - 3 - I don't have TE or GE problems so I'm not too worried about comfort. At lower tensions or in a hybrid, BG can play pretty soft. In a full string job it plays pretty stiff.

Spin - 5 - Good grip on the ball, great spin. You like spin, this is you string.

Control - 4 -Control isn't an issue. Ball can fly on you after losing tension or going dead.

Durability - 3.5 - Pretty durable in my opinion. Your milage may vary depending on your game. Also keep in mind that you get extra wear due to the textured profile.

*EXTRA Note: PRICE - 5 - It may not be as good as Lux, but at around $10 per pack it plays close enough (IMHO), and you can't beat the price.

I'm kind of leaning towards Blue Gear (or some form of poly hybrid with it) because of the insane spin it would create with the Pure Drive, and it would look bad*****. That's the reason I'm also considering Tornado and Hyperion too, because they would look awesome. I'm thinking BB Rough would also have some awesome spin and control.

2ndserveace
08-31-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm considering these:

Blue Gear Mains/ Hyperion Crosses (that would look completely BA)
BB Rough/ BBO
Ashaway Kevlar/ Silverstring
I also have a set of my favorite combo ever: Alu Rough/ Silverstring

What do you think?

2ndserveace
09-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Added a poll, because I'm still not sure about which string I should use. I tried BBO, but I'm still not sure about it.

tdavism3
09-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I would recommend BB Alu Power for the mains with Wilson Gut for the cross. It has worked well for me with PDR GT.

domhas1
09-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I really like my blue gear big ace red hybrid

2ndserveace
09-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I would recommend BB Alu Power for the mains with Wilson Gut for the cross. It has worked well for me with PDR GT.

I can't use Alu because I break it way too quickly. Otherwise, I wouldn't use anything else, but unfortunately it just doesn't last.