PDA

View Full Version : Is Prince Recoil a Poly?

Mansewerz
08-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I strung some up today, and it felt really soft for a poly. It felt a lot like PSGD.

star 5 15
08-29-2009, 03:32 PM
im pretty sure its supposed to play more like gut than poly if i remember correct.

davidahenry
08-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't think so. I think it is a syn gut with a special coating that prevents string movement.

Take care.

DH

stanfordtennis alum
08-29-2009, 05:08 PM
i dont think it's a poly.. looks like a multi to me

jim e
08-29-2009, 06:05 PM
i dont think it's a poly.. looks like a multi to me

On the back of the pack it shows a cross section of the string what looks like a solid core with a wrap over it, and another coating over that for the string to snap back. Seems to me that would place it in the syn. gut category.

dincuss
08-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Its a syn gut i believe let me check

Edit: yes its nylon.

PBODY99
08-29-2009, 06:19 PM
The GoreTex coating on this high end snygut is supposed to reduce the need to straighten the string. It plays like a soft solid core string. The snap back seems to hold up over time, as I kept a set in a Speedport Blue for 5 months, and the strings, while playing dead, snapped back into place.

Virtua Tennis
08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
nope not a poly at all it's quite soft and easy to string with.

iplaybetter
08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
not a poly

multi in fact or "premium multifilament" if you listen to prince

Thepowerofchoice
08-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm using NG as the mains an Recoil as my crosses...great set up

jim e
08-30-2009, 12:55 PM
not a poly

multi in fact or "premium multifilament" if you listen to prince
Say iplaybetter:
I would like to know where you found that from Prince?

If you see how it is listed it is a solid core with a filament wrap. That classifies it as a syn. gut in my book.Although on the package,in my hand now, it does not list the construction but does show a cross section picture of a core with a wrap like a syn. gut.
Just look at TW page on it on link below.Under string construction on this link: "Solid core with filament wrap".Is that not a syn. gut???
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-PREC16.html

As far as I know, a multi has all strands of filaments without the solid core, and the syn. gut has the core,or am I wrong?

ClubHoUno
08-30-2009, 01:15 PM

I did user the same setup, but now prefer Babolat VS NAT GUT mains and Luxilon BB Alu ROUGH crosses.

I use the RECOIL in the crosses in my wet weather hybrid, where I have a GREAT Multi in the mains, because I don't need the same amount of spin in wet weather, because the balls already bounce higher in wet weather as it is.

Why did you choose Recoil as a cross string in your natgut hybrid instead of a poly or other high end multi - only because of the anti string movement feature ?

iplaybetter
08-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Say iplaybetter:
I would like to know where you found that from Prince?

If you see how it is listed it is a solid core with a filament wrap. That classifies it as a syn. gut in my book.Although on the package,in my hand now, it does not list the construction but does show a cross section picture of a core with a wrap like a syn. gut.
Just look at TW page on it on link below.Under string construction on this link: "Solid core with filament wrap".Is that not a syn. gut???
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-PREC16.html

As far as I know, a multi has all strands of filaments without the solid core, and the syn. gut has the core,or am I wrong?

i remember hearing premium multli somewhere

jim e
08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
i remember hearing premium multli somewhere

Yes, most likely describing Prince Premier LT , not Recoil.

iplaybetter
08-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Yes, most likely describing Prince Premier LT , not Recoil.

you may be right, i deal with a lot of prince stuff so i may be mixing things

Tar Heel Tennis
08-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Composition Stiffness (lb/in)
Prince Recoil 16 Nylon 1.30 195 15.95

according to:

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

corners
08-31-2009, 04:57 AM

Hi, I've strung up two batches of that same hybrid. How long has it lasted you? Has the Recoil cut through the gut? Have you used stringsavers? What tension do you string it at?

Sorry for so many questions, but I love the way it plays but have had problems with durability and movement at 51/49 in a K90. Hoping your experience can help me use this setup more effectively next time.

ClubHoUno
09-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Hi, I've strung up two batches of that same hybrid. How long has it lasted you? Has the Recoil cut through the gut? Have you used stringsavers? What tension do you string it at?

Sorry for so many questions, but I love the way it plays but have had problems with durability and movement at 51/49 in a K90. Hoping your experience can help me use this setup more effectively next time.

You string nat gut at VERY low tension - I used the hybrid of Babolat VS Nat Touch 16 Nat gut in the mains @ 28 kg (approx 59 lbs) and RECOIL in the crosses @ 27 kg (approx 58 lbs)

It play well and I also use stringsavers around the sweetspot, so it lasted me 12-14 hours.

The fun thing is that in one racquet the gut mains cut through the Recoil crosses and in the other racquet the Recoil crosses cut through the gut mains :lol:

I really like how it played up until the 12 hour mark, then the recoil kind of died and felt muted and I lost the feel and touch of the hybrid.

ryangoring
09-01-2009, 06:15 AM
here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjeR7Q5UYxM