PDA

View Full Version : What racquet would play most like the Puma Becker Super?

shogun90
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Hello,

The Puma Becker Super was my first serious racquet and I remember enjoying playing it and being able to bomb away on the servers and having plenty of spin available. What current racquet would play most like it today?

Kirko
08-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Hello,

The Puma Becker Super was my first serious racquet and I remember enjoying playing it and being able to bomb away on the servers and having plenty of spin available. What current racquet would play most like it today?

I think its almost impossible tor re-create memories, but this frame is close.

corners
08-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Hello,

The Super was my first racquet as well. (How many broke on you? Puma must of got a kick out of my handwritten little kid letters I included with my 3 returned broken frames)

I was surprised to see that the Super weighed over 13 ounces. So if you're looking for something really similar it may be hard to find. I never played the Estusa clones, but notice they are lighter, and were popular on these boards. You can see Estusa Power Beams and Braideds on the Bay every once in a while. Current racquets? Don't know? I haven't felt anything that really reminded me of it yet, but I don't own any anymore so don't know if I'd recognize similarities or not these days.

iTennis
08-30-2009, 07:49 AM
I played with Puma Super in HS and broke 3 I think... Strung at low 60' and top hoop corrupsed every a few months. Good thing was that Puma replaced those under warranty, but I got tired and switched to Puma Becker Pro with Kevlar and never the problem again.

I am curious to know which relatively current sticks may feel similar to Puma, but the game has changed so much in 20 years so may not be relevant anyway. After decades of playing 12+ oz sticks, I'm quite happy with Fischer M Pro 1 UL (slightly heavier than stock) strung with full poly.