PDA

View Full Version : hiati (hiatuses?)

canadave
08-30-2009, 04:30 AM
I've noticed that a lot of people's tennis experiences on here mirror my own: started tennis at an early age, played through HS/college, then dropped the game completely for a decade or two, then picked it up again in mid-30's.

So I've decided to create a poll, with a few limitations to satisfy my curiosity (PLEASE READ THESE LIMITATIONS BEFORE VOTING!!!). Please ONLY answer the poll if:

1. You are currently more than 30 years old.
2. You started playing tennis when you were under 10 years old.

EDIT: If you're close to these criteria, go ahead and vote. Just don't vote if you're 55 and started playing ten years ago please :)

Assuming you satisfy those criteria....did you take an extended break from tennis at any point? How long was it? Or have you played tennis constantly since as long as you can remember?

NOTE: If you took a year or two off because of injury, that doesn't count. I'm looking for people who could've played, but voluntarily didn't.

purple-n-gold
08-30-2009, 05:03 AM
Dave I started playing when I was 12y/o,took a 20+ yr hiatus and I'm currently >30y/o.Can I be in your poll?

canadave
08-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Dave I started playing when I was 12y/o,took a 20+ yr hiatus and I'm currently >30y/o.Can I be in your poll?

Sure thing :) If you're close to the criteria, go right ahead. I just didn't want anyone in the poll who started playing tennis at 30 or anything like that ;)

joe sch
08-30-2009, 05:49 AM
After HS and college tennis, I move to SCal and started playing a lot of beach volleyball, cycling, windsurfing, etc. for a decade or so, not playing tournament tennis. Now tennis is my main sport again.

jrod
08-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Geeez, this poll makes me feel old as I've taken SEVERAL hiatuses....Started playing in 1968 and continued casually (summers only) until graduating HS('75). Played no tennis as an undergrad ('76-'81) and then started playing again in grad school ('81-'84) and several years afterwards through '89. Ceased playing until 2002 then took it up again and have been playing ever since.

Hiata: ~eight 8 month spells, 5 years, 12 years...

hollywood9826
08-30-2009, 07:10 AM
I stopped playing when I joined the Air Force at 20. Maybe touched a racquet 5 times in 6 years. Then I was stationed in South Dakota and had nothing else to do so at 27 I started playing again.

David_Is_Right
08-30-2009, 08:49 AM
By the way, it's 'hiatuses' not 'hiati' or 'hiata'.

super_forehand
08-30-2009, 11:38 AM
well im 23, started playing before 10, through HS and 1 year in college, then dropped the game completely ever since, about 4-5 years, and plan on keeping it dropped, maybe till i have kids or something.

super_forehand
08-30-2009, 11:38 AM
I stopped playing when I joined the Air Force at 20. Maybe touched a racquet 5 times in 6 years. Then I was stationed in South Dakota and had nothing else to do so at 27 I started playing again.

Where you stationed? What do you do in teh AF? Im aplpying right now :/

canadave
08-30-2009, 05:55 PM
By the way, it's 'hiatuses' not 'hiati' or 'hiata'.
Thanks :) I was being slightly facetious with the thread title ;)