PDA

View Full Version : How Tight Do I String These?

meowmix
08-30-2009, 07:10 AM
I am planning on ordering two sets of string later today- 1 set of alu power, and 1 set of msv focus hex.

I wanted to try the alu power to see what the hype is all about. At the 18 bucks that it usually costs, I'm not quite willing, but seeing that this is about as low as the price is going to go, I'll try it.

For the MSV Focus Hex (1.18 btw), it's gotten great reviews on here, and it sounds like the tension maintance is great.

As for me, I will be stringing these in a Dynamic Energy (apd clone). I usually use a Kirschbaum Competition 1.30/syn gu hybrid at 56/60. I currently have a M2/syn gut hybrid at 53/60, and it's a little too loose (I think that a 55/60 would be perfect). Advice please on how tight I need to string these to get maximum benefits.

ryangoring
08-30-2009, 09:57 AM
The Alu power is a stiff string, and I have strung it at a low tension, like 50 to 52 lbs.
As for the Msv not sure, I didn't like it at all. I strung it low and as well high.
I just couldn't get that feel I was looking for. I saw the hybrids that you have, you should string them higher because of their elasticity. They are soft too at that.

I'm not much of an expert, but that's my 2 cents, and I'm sticking to it. :)

meowmix
08-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Anybody else?

Hokiez
08-30-2009, 04:07 PM
I found that I needed to string mine just as tight with the poly as I did with syn gut to maintain playability. In my case that's about 62# but I'm 6'4" 200lbs and hit the ball quite hard so take my case for what it's worth. Power isn't my issue, control is.

chaddles
08-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Alu Power is well worth a try IMHO - if strung too tight it can cause arm trouble if you are prone to that problem (like myself). For me it is much better as a hybrid with a soft string like NXT 16 or the like, and drop the tension another couple of lbs below the reccomended tension.

I first got elbow problems with both an all Alu Power & all Rough set up strung at middle tension, but it played so beautifully so I tinkered. I tried a combo with a soft string and dropped the tension and it gave my shots more control and power.