PDA

View Full Version : Open discussion on racquets

Rabbit
08-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Dear Abby,

Ok, so now I'm really confused. For those who don't know, a little over a year ago, I decided to abandon my long time companion, the C10 in favor of something lighter. I made the decision to go with the AG100 and was happy until....I got some nice words one day hitting with a 300Tour. Since then all has been bedlam.

Friday, on a lark, I slipped a Rossignol F250 in my bag before I went to the courts. I also had a C10, 357g, strung with gut and a C9, 315g, strung with a multi. The Rossi tipped the scales at 357g as well. The difference between the two was the F250 was 8 pts HL or 32.5 CM and the C10 was 13 pts HL.

Anyway, I hit with the F250 first. The amount of weight on the ball was amazing. No problems generating any spin, the first sliced backhand I hit went over the net, hit the hardcourt and didn't come up at all. Topspin backhands were fantastic, direction, spin, weight, power.... Forehands as well had all the old stuff on them.

I picked up my C10 and hit with it. It felt almost unsubstantial by comparison. The guy I was hitting with noticed an immediate difference; toward the negative. I hit a couple with the C9, but by this time, I was so awed by the F250 that it left little impression on me or my hitting partner.

The point is, some have postulated that the "modern" game requires more weight toward the head of the frame. It seems to me that after hitting with the F250 which is more evenly balanced than most, that this has always been true. The requirements for a heavy, evenly balanced frame, are long strokes and above all, timing. If you have good preparation, swinging almost 13 ounces isn't that big a deal even with more weight in the head. The F250 certainly isn't a modern frame, but it appears that the pros are only trying to recreate this type of frame with their customizations.

The F250 was supremely comfortable to hit with, did not play like an 85 square inch frame, and was really awesome in one regard: controllable power. When you line the racquet up and take a full swing, you have supreme confidence that you can a) put any spin on the ball b) put the ball where you want it, and c) generate as much or as little spin as you want. After about 15 minutes with this frame, I was kicking myself for demoing anything. This seems to be the answer for me, heavy and evenly balanced or at least not terribly headlight.

My question then for any all-star racquet technicicans is can you replicate the type of feel with a larger headed newer frame like the C10 or others with the addition of lead tape?

I know there is a racquet morphing tool, does it work?

Finally, have we come full circle? Shouldn't we be swinging as heavy a frame weighted not unlike the old wood racquets of old? It seems to me that a frame overly headlight robs you of all the really nice things the F250 provided me the other day.

Signed......

disgusted

Fed Kennedy
08-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Well I totally agree with you that more mass up top is pretty good. This is why people are so pleased with the k88 and old schools like radical 260 mp. I am personally not good enough to play more than a set with those beasts but the two frames I played best with (in matches) over the last year were the microgel radical mp (2pts hl) and lately pure drive GT (4pts hl). I added weight to the handle to get the static weight up a little but I was really surprised by this. In summary: I am switching to a more even balanced frame.

fantom
08-31-2009, 05:23 AM
Dear Abby,

Ok, so now I'm really confused. For those who don't know, a little over a year ago, I decided to abandon my long time companion, the C10 in favor of something lighter. I made the decision to go with the AG100 and was happy until....I got some nice words one day hitting with a 300Tour. Since then all has been bedlam.

Friday, on a lark, I slipped a Rossignol F250 in my bag before I went to the courts. I also had a C10, 357g, strung with gut and a C9, 315g, strung with a multi. The Rossi tipped the scales at 357g as well. The difference between the two was the F250 was 8 pts HL or 32.5 CM and the C10 was 13 pts HL.

Anyway, I hit with the F250 first. The amount of weight on the ball was amazing. No problems generating any spin, the first sliced backhand I hit went over the net, hit the hardcourt and didn't come up at all. Topspin backhands were fantastic, direction, spin, weight, power.... Forehands as well had all the old stuff on them.

I picked up my C10 and hit with it. It felt almost unsubstantial by comparison. The guy I was hitting with noticed an immediate difference; toward the negative. I hit a couple with the C9, but by this time, I was so awed by the F250 that it left little impression on me or my hitting partner.

The point is, some have postulated that the "modern" game requires more weight toward the head of the frame. It seems to me that after hitting with the F250 which is more evenly balanced than most, that this has always been true. The requirements for a heavy, evenly balanced frame, are long strokes and above all, timing. If you have good preparation, swinging almost 13 ounces isn't that big a deal even with more weight in the head. The F250 certainly isn't a modern frame, but it appears that the pros are only trying to recreate this type of frame with their customizations.

The F250 was supremely comfortable to hit with, did not play like an 85 square inch frame, and was really awesome in one regard: controllable power. When you line the racquet up and take a full swing, you have supreme confidence that you can a) put any spin on the ball b) put the ball where you want it, and c) generate as much or as little spin as you want. After about 15 minutes with this frame, I was kicking myself for demoing anything. This seems to be the answer for me, heavy and evenly balanced or at least not terribly headlight.

My question then for any all-star racquet technicicans is can you replicate the type of feel with a larger headed newer frame like the C10 or others with the addition of lead tape?

I know there is a racquet morphing tool, does it work?

Finally, have we come full circle? Shouldn't we be swinging as heavy a frame weighted not unlike the old wood racquets of old? It seems to me that a frame overly headlight robs you of all the really nice things the F250 provided me the other day.

Signed......

disgusted

disgusted,

I think you need to strike a balance between the sweet feeling that the heavy frame provides with the ability to consistently and comfortably achieve good results over a long match.

Best of luck in your search. I know one thing is true no matter which racquet I'm using at the time.....When I hit a bad shot, I can almost find something to blame it on other than the racquet (poor movement, poor preparation, etc.).

Ljubicic for number1
08-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Sounds like the Rabbit needs to hit with a EXO3 Graphite 100.