PDA

View Full Version : Would you suggest this tweener racket for a 11 year old girl?

alexoftennis
08-30-2009, 05:15 PM
She has been playing since she was 8 years old. Plays in USTA tournaments by age 10 (Girls' 10 +12 Rookie/Challenger). She has been using this racket since she switched out of her junior racket:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/WN5/WN5Review.html

Now she's looking for a tweener racket, would this be a good choice?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KFIVEM.html

meowmix
08-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Why does she want to switch racquets?

Tim
08-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I would probably go for something a little less head heavy if she's playing alot and improving her game. There are some good racquets close to even balance like this one:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KSURGE.html

120mphBodyServe
08-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Why are you sticking with Wilson?

Maybe if you tell us more about her game, someone will make an appropriate suggestion?

Nanshiki
08-30-2009, 07:15 PM
That's too light for a serious player. You should get her a real players racquet tweener like a Pure Drive, Radical, or a Prince O3/Speed Port of some sort.

jazar
08-31-2009, 09:11 AM
i tend not to recommend that kind of racket for kids of that age. if you want her to switch check out the babolat aero strike or pure drive lite

Danstevens
08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd imagine that at 11 and with plenty of tennis experience, she'll be able to use most rackets other than the most demanding of players' frames.

At my club, the majority of players her age will opt for Babolats. The Aeropro Drive and Pure Drive GT seem to be popular at the moment. Having tested the Pure Drive, it's definitely a racket her game could grow with - being that it's as well suited to relative beginners as it is to advanced players. The lite version may also be worth a look considering that it'd be for a young female player. Both are definitely well worth a demo. The one thing I would look out for with the PD is its stiffness, you don't want her picking up any injuries because of it so choose a soft string setup (although for that matter, 11 year olds shouldn't be using anything too stiff in any racket).

I've heard good things about the Dunlop Aerogel 500 and the 4D 500. I wouldn't go for the Tour version as it might be a little heavy for her at the moment but the standard version should be fine.

Prince have a fair range of frames to suit the girl in question. The O3 Speedport Black Team might be suitable and the O3 White is another possibility.

Volkl is another brand with plenty of options for her. The DNX 6 Attiva is currently on sale at TW and looks interesting. However, I would question as to whether its even balance is the way to go. If you have access to demos, I would certainly give it a try. If not, I'd wait until someone who has experience with it chimes in.

If you wanted to look for a Wilson racket, the [K]obra Team FX, [K]Pro Team FX or [K]Pro Open rackets would all be viable options. You may be able to pick an Npro open up cheap from somewhere and it would be a good choice.

Any of the Head Radical Midplus rackets would also be a good choice. The Liquidmetal Radical MP is on sale at TW at the moment or if she was looking for something more current, the YouTek Radical MP is out now.

In this post, I still haven't explored all of the options you have in this racket search so my best advise to you is to demo, demo, demo! I know TW has a great demo programme in the US and you could take a look to see if your local pro shop has a demo programme you could use.

Xtreme
08-31-2009, 04:42 PM
PDGT 10 char

120mphBodyServe
08-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Don't limit yourself to the "TEAM" lighter racquets just because you think she's 11yrs old and can't handle a racquet that's a bit heavier...
Check out the Yonex range?? Maybe a RDIS 300?

Steve Huff
09-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Personally, I'd change to a standard length racket (27" long). It will be easier on her arm. And maybe a little more flexible. I don't know how heavy of a frame she can use though, and I know most girls don't come to the net much, so that extra quarter of an inch may not be so bad. I've hit with the n5 and it didn't feel that stable to me. As for the k5, unless it's changed some, it would not be on my list.