PDA

View Full Version : Is My Poly Dead?

schenkelini
08-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I have a pair of ProKennex Ki15 PSE rackets. They are both 4 1/2 grip size. I have one strung with Black Magic/synthetic gut Titan and the other with Spin-X/ Gosen micro. Since I strung them up I have prefered the Black Magic strung frame. I am not a string breaker. I have gradually noticed that I am not hitting my serves in as much and my topspin forehands are not spinning as much and are going long. I have hit less with the Spin-X frame and have started hitting better with it.
Last week I played doubles and was trying out a Ki5 that was strung with synthetic gut. I don't typically care for syn gut alone. I had been playing poorly with my Ki15 stick and decided to try the Ki5 since nothing was working. All of the sudden my serves improved and so did my forehand. The Ki5 was a 4 3/8 which made me think that it was the grip size. I just hit me that maybe it is the strings. I have not kept track of the hours on the stick, but I have been playing with it for 3 months 2 to 3 times a week. I am playing better with the Spin-X also, but not as good as the Ki5. It has quite a few hours on it too.
What do you guys think?

meowmix
08-30-2009, 05:04 PM
That has a minimum of 24 hours of playing time... more likely somewhere around 50 hours. Polyester is usually dead after 10 hours of hard hitting. Of course, this is the newest generation of polyester and has better playability after longer periods of times, but there's no WAY the polyester's not dead.

The dead strings would certainly be a good explanation for your serves going out and the lack of bite on your groundies. IMHO, polyester really shouldn't be kept in a racquet for more than one month before it should be cut out, regardless of how much it's sat around.

schenkelini
08-30-2009, 05:22 PM
OK, well that explains it. Now I need to decide how to restring it. I have a set of Global Gut. I am trying to decide if I should hybrid that with poly or do a full gut job. Let me say to help, that I think that the Black Magic hybrid racket hit better than anything I have ever experienced. Help me make a decision guys.

meowmix
08-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, if you think that the black magic hybrid was the best stuff you've ever used, then why not recreate the hybrid?

Nonentity
08-30-2009, 05:32 PM
i started stringing multis as my crosses with poly as main, and it helps to reduce the dead string effect that you get with full poly.

schenkelini
08-30-2009, 05:41 PM
i started stringing multis as my crosses with poly as main, and it helps to reduce the dead string effect that you get with full poly.

I was thinking that too. Since I have two frames, maybe I will do one as before and one with gut.

schenkelini
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Well I restrung one frame hybrid as before and all is well.