PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tape Virgin

Cloud Atlas
08-31-2009, 05:50 AM
Ok, I recently bought two Yonex RDiS 100 MP rackets. I like them, but they're very light, particularly head light I think. I've never used lead before, but would this be a good way to make the racket feel more "solid"? It kind of feels like it gets pushed around a bit against bigger hitters, and balls tend to fly a lot on me. I'm particularly interested in making the racket feel more solid on both serves and volleys. Does lead at 3 and 9 o'clock do this? How much lead? Where do you buy lead? Can you just stick it on? If you stick it on and it's no good, can you just take it off and move it? Pros and cons of lead? Should I just have bought a heavier racket to begin with?
Anyone had any experience leading up the RDiS 100 MP?
Thanks!

prjacobs
08-31-2009, 06:51 AM
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.html

Here's the link for adding lead. Also, google it:) good luck.

Anton
08-31-2009, 06:59 AM
I like to put lead on at 10 and 2 positions - more stability, more power - less maneuverable/usually longer swing required.

akybo
08-31-2009, 07:17 AM
Before adding lead,try another string tension:50-52lbs.A loose string will absorb more of the energy coming from the fast pace balls.

ryushen21
08-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Lead at 3 and 9 will increase torsional stability so your racquet won't really twist as much on off center shots. It will make it feel more solid and if you feel that the racquet is too head light adding at 3 and 9 will make it more head heavy.

Meaghan
08-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Ive got this racket and i added a little lead. What i noticed is I didnt need to raise the sweetspot like i normally do at 10&2. 9&5 was fine. I bought lead off the bay on a roll, I weighed out 10g and devided it by 6 equal parts and added some to 9/3 & 12 too. You can put it on take it off etc etc be careful when taking it off you dont damage the paint work but you shouldnt anyway. Always buy the 1/4 inch as it fits on your hoop sides whereas the 1/2 inch you need to cut.

I also added 18g top of buttcap under grip to keep my balance around the 10pts mark. I usually add this top of handle but the 100 has a graphite block there that does a similar job.

Lot more stable, better HL balance for me and about 360g.

Cloud Atlas
09-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Ok, I put some tape at 3 and 9 O'clock (not sure how much, but two medium length strips on each side). Didn't feel too nice tbh.
Just made it feel a bit weird and a bit unbalanced. Made it too powerful (I'm already concerned with the power level of this racket). Not sure how else to describe it, but didn't really make it feel more "solid" which is what I was after. Maybe I should be putting tape at 6 O'clock so as not to muck around with the head weight? Would tape a six o'clock be better for me? Maybe I needed to add lead just above butt cap too as Meaghan suggests?
ANY advice welcome. Not really sure what I'm doing!

Meaghan
09-03-2009, 04:11 AM
You have to try it with the tape in the handle too, it will obviously become more powerful if its just in the hoop.
I dont advise anyone to put tape in the throat area as it just above the handle and you feel a noticable difference, very sluggish, compared to 12 where it just raises the SW and you just need to get the thing in motion.

Cloud Atlas
09-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Sorry, little confused now. So maybe I should leave the tape at 3 and 9, put equal amount above the butt cap, and maybe some a twelve too?

Mazilla2219
09-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Cloud, here's another link that explains thing pretty throughly
http://www.sandiars.com/reference/racquet-customization.htm

Cloud Atlas
09-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks Maz. I read through that. So basically I'm wanting to increase stability without increasing power, which seems pretty hard to do, based on that article. Maybe I'll try adding weight to 9,3 and some in the handle. Surely any added weight in the head will increase power though, even if it's counterbalanced by weight on the handle? I wish I hadn't rushed into buying these damn rackets!!!! I could have just bought something that was closer to what I'm after stock. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Meaghan
09-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks Maz. I read through that. So basically I'm wanting to increase stability without increasing power, which seems pretty hard to do, based on that article. Maybe I'll try adding weight to 9,3 and some in the handle. Surely any added weight in the head will increase power though, even if it's counterbalanced by weight on the handle? I wish I hadn't rushed into buying these damn rackets!!!! I could have just bought something that was closer to what I'm after stock. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

The added weight to the hoop will also add SW which should also add more spin for controlled power. Also you can tighten up your stringbed tension to mid 60's and maybe go to a full poly set up which has less power and more spin. There's plenty you can play around with and it will give you more knowledge about your ideal specs.
Remember these amounts of lead wont make a huge difference, its a bout tweaking here and there.
Its funny I have your racket and find it quite low powered but then again I play with a rebel which has more pop but I control it with a lot of topspin.

ryushen21
09-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Adding weight will add power but that is only if you are able to swing the racquet fast enough to generate that power. If you go with lead at 3 & 9 and counterbalance with weight in the handle, you should be fine.

Cloud Atlas
09-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Put two medium length layers of lead at 3, two medium length layers at 9, and then four of the same length layers above the butt cap. Feels much better now. Volleys much more solid, single handed backhand much better, serve good. Forehand still feels a bit weird. Must be increased swingweight? But I'm sure I'll get used to that.
I'll also string at about 62 next time.
Meaghan, I guess the racket's not too powerful, but I like to be able to take a massive swing at the ball and not have it fly on me. Tighter strings should sort this out. Thanks for your help everybody. This forum is awesome!

JackB1
09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Could someone explain to me EXACTLY how and where you add lead tape to the handle? What does "under the buttcap" mean?

Does it go around the handle, around and around, under the grip? Or does it go vertically up and down along the length of the handle, under the grip?

Sorry....never did this before and I need specific instructions.

Meaghan
09-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Could someone explain to me EXACTLY how and where you add lead tape to the handle? What does "under the buttcap" mean?

Does it go around the handle, around and around, under the grip? Or does it go vertically up and down along the length of the handle, under the grip?

Sorry....never did this before and I need specific instructions.

Under the buttcap means taking off the buttcap and wrap fishing weights in cotton wool or using silicon to your specific weight.

over the buttcap, yes you wrap it round the top part of the buttcap.

strips up and down the length of the handle is fine although I find this method to be less effective than a specific place in the handle.

also the top of the handle too (john cauthen posts) is a great place to add weight. Although if you are adding a lot of weight here and have a 2HBH then this could prove uncomfortable.