PDA

View Full Version : Are Babolat grips really larger than others?

JackB1
08-31-2009, 07:21 AM
I read somewhere that Babolat grips are 1 size larger than the same grips by Prince & Head? Is this true?

Hankenstein
08-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Babolatīs are a fraction larger then other companies. I feel however that Babolat in the last year have changed the shape of their grip. Not much, but they are not so square as Wilsonīs these days,, more like Head actually

dadozen
08-31-2009, 07:58 AM
I had two Pstorms L3, and now I have 4 AG 4D 300 Tour, L3 as well.

The Dunlop grip feels slightly bigger. I had no problems with Babolat grips. And I also owned a PControl.

slice bh compliment
08-31-2009, 08:09 AM
I use babolat (PS Ltd). My feeling on this is that their grips are really true. They feel bigger than Volkls and the skinnier HEADs because they are more octagonal like a Wilson or a Dunlop.

THey do feel larger than a Wilson or a Dunlop because the stock (replacement) grips they come with are of a higher quality (and thicker) than the stock grips on the other brands.

Also, I think Babolat leather grips are thicker than most brands.

Personally, I would not go down a size. I'd just embrace the handle shape and the higher quality grip.

Fuzzy
08-31-2009, 01:37 PM
i've used prince and bab and always thought babolat was a different size grip (little wider)..so not necessarily bigger in terms of size, but bigger in terms of shape

Tipsy
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
I've always thought there was something different about the babolat grips, but once I start hitting they feel so much better than the others. Weird, I know.

JackB1
09-25-2009, 09:37 AM
I have a Prince Ozone and a Babolat Pure Storm Tour and the PST's grip feels larger than the Prince and they are both 4 1/2.

dadozen
09-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Taht's probably because the Prince grip shape is rounder.

tennis.yellow.balls
09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I actually measured my Babolat vs. Prince grips without the overgrip on and in terms of the actual circumference of my Babolat PS vs. Prince OG were about the same in the 4 3/8 grip size. The difference was in mm (if any).

phishua
09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
My prestige is 4 1/2, it fits my hand great. My buddy's PDR is also a 4 1/2, but feels significantly larger... I've noticed this when demoing Babolats, I usually take a 4 3/8 instead of a 4 1/2.

furyoku_tennis
09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
the grip shape just makes it feel bigger IMO

mark1
09-25-2009, 11:45 AM
THey do feel larger than a Wilson or a Dunlop because the stock (replacement) grips they come with are of a higher quality (and thicker) than the stock grips on the other brands.

this ^^^^^^

idk about the quality aspect, but the stock synthetic grip was huge compared to other brands. i took it off and wrapped it in the thin TW leather and it feels closer to true size

PGSanta76
09-25-2009, 12:16 PM
The quality comment is pure speculation. Thicker, does not equal higher quality. If you measure the circumference of a Babolat grip (bare handle), it's exactly the same as a Wilson, which is the same as a Prince, which is the same as a Head... and so on. The difference a lot of people talk about can only be attributed to two things:

1. The thickness of various replacement grips and over grips.

2. The overall shape of the grip.

My opinion is that the shape of the Babolat grip is the issue with a lot of people, especially for those who are used to a Vokl/Head/Fischer type of rectangular shape where there is greater surface area parallel to the racquet face. Rounder and squarer grip shapes have more surface area perpendicular to the racquet face vis a vis rectangular shapes.

star 5 15
09-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Babolats grip shapes are true. It is the thickness' of their grips. I put head calfskin on mine. MONEY!!!

Power Player
09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
I use TW thin leather on my apdc. The only issue I am encountering is that my hand hurts afterwords. Not in the blistery way, but where I feel it in my joints in the thumb area. If it does not stop, I will go back to the Syntac grip. I love the feel of the bevels this way, but it is not worth the constant pain. I don't get that with other grips, I feel ike it must be the thin leather not really cushioning much.

Dave M
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=PGSanta76;3975303]The quality comment is pure speculation. Thicker, does not equal higher quality. If you measure the circumference of a Babolat grip (bare handle), it's exactly the same as a Wilson, which is the same as a Prince, which is the same as a Head... and so on.

Thats true as all grips are measured in sizes, what is known as a "3" is also a 4 and 3/8 of an " grip.Just the shape thats different.

Bottle Rocket
09-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Babolats grip shapes are true.

This is true. ;)

The new "skin feel" grips coming on their frames is thinner and is a big improvement over their previous grips. I think the "half size bigger rule" can finally be forgotten.