PDA

View Full Version : NRG2 vs. X-1

dadozen
08-31-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking about trying some full multi stringjobs and I was intending to buy NRG2 and X-1.

I have used Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.25mm on hybrid stringjobs, and it was too soft for me.

The main reason for choosing TF multis is because they seem to have a huge fan base and because they seem to be crisper and stiffer than MT.

But, I'm wondering which are the main differences between them.

Also, I'm thinking about Rip Control full stringjobs. How does it compare to TF multis like NRG2 and X-1?

Thanks.

P.S.: Notice that I'm a poly user, so I'll probably string my racquets @ a higher tension with the multis above.

Valjean
08-31-2009, 11:45 AM
If I were you I would try and ease into multis first; RIP Control and Wilson's NXT Max is where I would start, too.

Fedace
08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Yea cause Tech multis are the BEST. bit pricy but best. X-1 is more Crisp and has more poop vs NRG2 is softer feel and still has pretty good power but not as much as X-1 but has more soft and touchy feel....

Fedace
08-31-2009, 11:49 AM
If I were you I would try and ease into multis first; RIP Control and Wilson's NXT Max is where I would start, too.

who makes Rip control and is it any good ? how does it compare to X-1 ??

dadozen
08-31-2009, 12:12 PM
RIP Control is from HEAD.

But it seems to be very soft to me. Remember that I'm a poly user and I'm facing no arm problems.

Wilson NXT seems to be too soft for me.

v205
08-31-2009, 03:36 PM
17g Maxim Touch is much softer than the 16g version. Maybe try the 16g first?

dadozen
08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
According to the RSI string table, both X-1 and NRG2 are a tad crisper and hold tension much better. That's why my first options are TF strings. Also, I've never enjoyed using thick strings.

v205, which X-1 gauge are you using?

I've been already told that X-1 offers a crisper feel, even on thinner gauges. I think this will probably be my choice. Also, it comes in red color:)

bsandy
08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
NRG is a tad softer.

X-1 holds tension a tad better.

. . . Bud

dadozen
08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
NRG is a tad softer.

. . . Bud

Thanks Bud! This is really useful information.

X-1 will probably be my choice then.

FedforOne
08-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Ive been playing with X -1 for a little while and i strung it at 60, and to be honest, there was no power. Although it had nice spin, string movement is an issue. I liked NRG much better.

v205
08-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm using both 17g and 16g. I'm likely to try a 17g main (for a bit more feel) and 16g cross (for the extra control) in my next all-weather racquet stringjob.

According to the RSI string table, both X-1 and NRG2 are a tad crisper and hold tension much better. That's why my first options are TF strings. Also, I've never enjoyed using thick strings.

I've been already told that X-1 offers a crisper feel, even on thinner gauges. I think this will probably be my choice. Also, it comes in red color:)

dadozen
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Well, I just ordered one package of each. 16g NRG2 and 1.24mm X-1. I think this way I'll have a good idea of both, even on their durability.

Valjean
08-31-2009, 07:47 PM
RIP Control is from HEAD.

But it seems to be very soft to me. Remember that I'm a poly user and I'm facing no arm problems.

Wilson NXT seems to be too soft for me.
NXT *Max*, one of the four strings from Wilson's multifilament NXT family, has about the stiffness of most standard synthetic guts but was designed for frequent players.

RIP Control is valued in here for its relative durability, among multis.

t_e_n_n_i_s
09-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Here's a link to some information on the strings http://www.tecnifibre.co.uk/pages/products/tennis/tennis-strings.php

rasajadad
09-01-2009, 04:45 AM
[QUOTE=bsandy;3870417]NRG is a tad softer.

X-1 will probably last longer as well.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
09-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I have a question.
Is x1 crisper, has more spin, and holds tension better then NRG?
Also, which has more pop?
And lastly, which moves least.
Assuming each was strung at 59.
Thanks

mrmo1115
09-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking about trying some full multi stringjobs and I was intending to buy NRG2 and X-1.

I have used Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.25mm on hybrid stringjobs, and it was too soft for me.

The main reason for choosing TF multis is because they seem to have a huge fan base and because they seem to be crisper and stiffer than MT.

But, I'm wondering which are the main differences between them.

Also, I'm thinking about Rip Control full stringjobs. How does it compare to TF multis like NRG2 and X-1?

Thanks.

P.S.: Notice that I'm a poly user, so I'll probably string my racquets @ a higher tension with the multis above.

Ever consider the PL II / multi hybrid?

I hear that PL II doesn't hybrid well and its better off as a full bed , but its just a thought to throw out there...

Btw, does your opinion stay true to that statement above? PL II (full bed) > PL II (hybrid) ?

Mikey Fresh
09-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Red x-1 and natural x-1 play much differant. The natural imo is much better and the red just feels like hitting with weed eater linning

KenC
09-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I have a question.
Is x1 crisper, has more spin, and holds tension better then NRG?
Also, which has more pop?
And lastly, which moves least.
Assuming each was strung at 59.
Thanks

IIRC, X-1 is a new generation of NRG2, in fact the strings are very similar but just treated differently. I think they are heat treated or something like that.

origmarm
09-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Yea cause Tech multis are the BEST. bit pricy but best. X-1 is more Crisp and has more poop vs NRG2 is softer feel and still has pretty good power but not as much as X-1 but has more soft and touchy feel....

My favourite comment in a while! These strings offer good poop!

Eiffel59
09-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Always remember to prestretch TF strings, slightly and steadily <or use the prestretch function on advanced stringing machines>

ClubHoUno
09-23-2009, 04:04 AM

Avoid the red colored X1, as it feels nothing like the natural colored X1.
The red coating somehow changes the feel of the natural X1 string.

My advice would be to try:

1. Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Prostock - best multi ever, if you can find it
2. Babolat Xcel Power - second best multi ever, and much better and more crisp than the basic Xcel Premium
3. Wilson Kgut Pro - very crisp feeling multi
4. Tecnifibre X1 - only in natural color, avoid the red
5. Gamma Professional Spin - also a great multi

dadozen
09-23-2009, 04:49 AM
Ever consider the PL II / multi hybrid?

I hear that PL II doesn't hybrid well and its better off as a full bed , but its just a thought to throw out there...

Btw, does your opinion stay true to that statement above? PL II (full bed) > PL II (hybrid) ?

I don't plan to hybrid the PLII, I'm enjoying how it plays full bed. Also, I'm not having arm issues.

I'll try a X-1 full bed and a NRG2 full bed, just to check how these strings perform. But I'll string them @ a higher tension for sure.

They have been delivered, but I'm not sure when I'll test them since I really like my current setup:D

dadozen
09-23-2009, 04:55 AM
Red x-1 and natural x-1 play much differant. The natural imo is much better and the red just feels like hitting with weed eater linning

Dang, I got X-1 in red. :(

Always remember to prestretch TF strings, slightly and steadily <or use the prestretch function on advanced stringing machines>

Prestretching TF strings make them hold tension better?

Avoid the red colored X1, as it feels nothing like the natural colored X1.
The red coating somehow changes the feel of the natural X1 string.

My advice would be to try:

1. Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Prostock - best multi ever, if you can find it
2. Babolat Xcel Power - second best multi ever, and much better and more crisp than the basic Xcel Premium
3. Wilson Kgut Pro - very crisp feeling multi
4. Tecnifibre X1 - only in natural color, avoid the red
5. Gamma Professional Spin - also a great multi

If I knew that red X-1 plays a lot differently, I'd had bought the natural...:(

Hmmm, I think I'll try some of these strings, like Xcel and KGut Pro. Let's see if I can find them around.

Thanks guys.

ClubHoUno
09-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Dang, I got X-1 in red. :(

Prestretching TF strings make them hold tension better?

If I knew that red X-1 plays a lot differently, I'd had bought the natural...:(

Hmmm, I think I'll try some of these strings, like Xcel and KGut Pro. Let's see if I can find them around.

Thanks guys.

Avoid Xcel Premium, get the 2$ more expensive Xcel Power, because it's more crisp and simply better than Xcel Premium.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Is excel power better then x-one?
Which is better in terms of
power
spin
control
comfort?

ClubHoUno
09-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Is excel power better then x-one?
Which is better in terms of
power
spin
control
comfort?

I prefer Xcel Power to X1 natural in all these aspects.
In my view Xcel Power is simply a better multi in every way possbile compared to X1 natural.

Eiffel59
09-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I agree with you that Xcel Power is slightly more powerful than X-1, but they're even on comfort and TF string is (always slightly) superior in terms of spin&control...obviously IMO.

However, i always advice to prestretch TF strings to get better results (namely more tension stability, hence improved spin/control/comfort).

Hope this helps,

Mario

DukeLit
09-24-2009, 02:12 AM
I agree with you that Xcel Power is slightly more powerful than X-1, but they're even on comfort and TF string is (always slightly) superior in terms of spin&control...obviously IMO.

However, i always advice to prestretch TF strings to get better results (namely more tension stability, hence improved spin/control/comfort).

Hope this helps,

Mario

Hmm...I don't think I had my X1 pre-stretched prior to having it strung as a full job recently, and I ended up busting that 17g string faster than I've ever broken a string before. Does pre-stretching improve durability?

Eiffel59
09-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Yes it does. Even if the biphasic treatment somewhat improves the resistance/resilience of the string, it also makes the string's surface quite uneven, thus making the same more prone to breaking w/certain style of play.
Prestretching, in this case, also makes the surface smoother and improves durability.

Hope this helps,

Mario

DukeLit
09-24-2009, 04:27 AM
Yes it does. Even if the biphasic treatment somewhat improves the resistance/resilience of the string, it also makes the string's surface quite uneven, thus making the same more prone to breaking w/certain style of play.
Prestretching, in this case, also makes the surface smoother and improves durability.

Hope this helps,

Mario

Thanks, Mario, that's really helpful. I had been thinking about how unimpressive I thought X1 was...

Fammi sapere quando sei a Parigi and maybe we can get a hit in!:)

Eiffel59
09-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Just after the italian the official italian première of the new Ergo stringing machines...just in time for the Bercy tourney, i hope.