PDA

View Full Version : Dead Poly

schenkelini
08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
I restrung my racket last night after some kind posters indicated that the poly was most assuredly dead. It got me to thinking. If poly will die in a racket once it is strung even without playing(this was mentioned in the previous thread), does it die if it sits on the shelf too long? I have some poly string that is over a year old that I have not used yet.

Fedace
08-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Return it for Full refund...

diredesire
08-31-2009, 01:13 PM
IMHO, don't overthink the string life, it'll sit on a shelf and still play fine provided you don't make it brittle by leaving it in the sunlight, etc.

I think a lot of players string poly much tighter than they should, and then the boardiness is a double whammy, at that point ;)

ronalditop
08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
All of the people I know and play with that play with polys use them till they break, and that can take up to 3 months. A poly stringjob lasts me about 1 month. I dont understand why people often say polys go dead just in a few hours and then play like crap. To me the only difference is that as the stringjob gets old, it feels softer and a little more powerful, but nothing else.

schenkelini
08-31-2009, 03:49 PM
All of the people I know and play with that play with polys use them till they break, and that can take up to 3 months. A poly stringjob lasts me about 1 month. I dont understand why people often say polys go dead just in a few hours and then play like crap. To me the only difference is that as the stringjob gets old, it feels softer and a little more powerful, but nothing else.

Well it will be interesting when I play next if everything starts going in again. If I were to explain what I was feeling it would be that the strings were not griping the ball the way they did. I was not able to generate same amount of spin and the balls on both serves and ground strokes were sailing.
It began to happen gradually and got progressively worse. I began noticing it at about the 2 1/2 month mark and last night at 3 months I restrung it.

pmerk34
08-31-2009, 04:22 PM

Some of them, are just wannabe's. Seriously if you are cutting your strings after 2 hour's you'd better be playing for money. For 99% if us if the strings loosen up then just put a little more spin on the ball.

AlpineCadet
08-31-2009, 04:26 PM
As for any string, once the elasticity is gone, the strings won't be as forgiving as a fresh job. Polyester strings die the fastest, and I would restring often. My limit is 3-4 hitting days or ~10 hours max.

fruitytennis1
08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
3 1/2 to break poly. By then it feels mushy... You dont know the feeling till they get that bad.

schenkelini
09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
I played a match tonight. I haven't played this well since I came back to the game. I am glad I have a stringer so I can restring every month and a half or so.

Dgpsx7
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I think the poly needs to be stretched out before it can die. The only way string can die quickly on the shelf is with sunlight. I keep all my strings in a shoebox in my closet(cool, dark and dry).

I.M. Beck
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I restrung my racket last night after some kind posters indicated that the poly was most assuredly dead. It got me to thinking. If poly will die in a racket once it is strung even without playing(this was mentioned in the previous thread), does it die if it sits on the shelf too long? I have some poly string that is over a year old that I have not used yet.

Did you ever actually try playing with dead strings? I actually prefer it.

meowmix
09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
^Yeah, he did (not to be a creeper or anything).

I typically try to restring my poly's/poly hybrids after about a month or two. I don't get to hit the courts all that much, so I'd say that I get about 15-20 hours out of a poly hybrid, which, IMO, is pretty good. The only polyester that I cut out before 5 hours was Technifiber Polyspin... that stuff lost tension like crazy.

meowmix
09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I played a match tonight. I haven't played this well since I came back to the game. I am glad I have a stringer so I can restring every month and a half or so.

Good for you!!! :)

Keep in mind, however, that tennis is a very mental game. If you THINK that you're going to play better, then you probably will. Just saying :twisted:

schenkelini
09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Did you ever actually try playing with dead strings? I actually prefer it.

For me the dead strings caused everything to go out, both serves and ground strokes.

schenkelini
09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Good for you!!! :)

Keep in mind, however, that tennis is a very mental game. If you THINK that you're going to play better, then you probably will. Just saying :twisted:

I know what you mean, but it is more than that.