PDA

View Full Version : NY Times-The Career Path to Pro Tennis Often Passes High School

TennisTaxi
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/sports/tennis/31school.html

sureshs
08-31-2009, 12:30 PM
That is the only way to compete with Europeans who finish secondary school at 16, or juniors in other countries where the schools routinely turn a blind eye to absenteeism by promising athletes and just have them show up for exams where they are given the minumum pass grade by default.

SoCal10s
08-31-2009, 01:17 PM
wow,i know a lot of those people mentioned in the story.. pretty sad how USTA convinces those kids to go for broke and when they break and have no education to fall back on ,what do they do? J.Cox ,turned pro .. I watched the kid lose at Kalamazoo to SoCal kid who is not that good(not an elite player to say the least)... Cox is traveling around the world playing and hoping to be a competitive pro.. from what I saw, he's got a long long way to go.. looks like the USTA and IMF are playing the numbers game.. sign as many prospect as you can and see who can make make it..

TennisCoachFLA
08-31-2009, 06:18 PM
That is the only way to compete with Europeans who finish secondary school at 16, or juniors in other countries where the schools routinely turn a blind eye to absenteeism by promising athletes and just have them show up for exams where they are given the minumum pass grade by default.

Is this a joke post? Other countries? The US invented putting great athletes through school with bogus grades!!

TennisCoachFLA
08-31-2009, 06:23 PM
wow,i know a lot of those people mentioned in the story.. pretty sad how USTA convinces those kids to go for broke and when they break and have no education to fall back on ,what do they do? J.Cox ,turned pro .. I watched the kid lose at Kalamazoo to SoCal kid who is not that good(not an elite player to say the least)... Cox is traveling around the world playing and hoping to be a competitive pro.. from what I saw, he's got a long long way to go.. looks like the USTA and IMF are playing the numbers game.. sign as many prospect as you can and see who can make make it..

No education to fall back on? Where did the article say that? Home schooling and online schooling actually gives kids a much better education than sitting in a class with 40 kids of all different skill levels. Half of most school days are utter wastes of time.

And last time I checked you could go back to school, online, community college, etc. at any age. And the connections made at that level of tennis are priceless.

Once again I will remind people that our homeless shelters, jails, the ranks poor unmarried parents, rehab centers, and mental institutions are not filled with kids who tried to make it in pro tennis but ended up not quite making it and going into another job field!

And once again I remind people that generalizing is silly. Every single kid is different, some will love homeschooling, some not. Some would rather travel and have adventures, some would rather go to the prom. Melenie Oudin has a twin sister who also plays tennis but is totally into high school and all that stuff. Melanie says she sees both sides, her homeschool and travel life and her twin's regular life.

Oudin says she would not change one thing she has done even if she never wins a single pro tournament.

mcutilize
08-31-2009, 06:26 PM
i'd rather take the shot at going full time at tennis then go to school

tennis is basically a once in a lifetime chance to go full at and succeed

i could go to school whenever

coloskier
08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
If you don't play all the tournaments you can, you don't get ranking points. If you don't get ranking points, you don't get noticed by the USTA to get sponsorships, travel money, etc. If you play high school tennis, you can't leave school every other week to play a weeklong tournament. It is as simple as that.

babolat15
08-31-2009, 08:23 PM
brian baker went to a local HS...he missed 95 days of school his last year

mrmo1115
08-31-2009, 08:32 PM
brian baker went to a local HS...he missed 95 days of school his last year

Never heard of this guy, but just did a quick Tennis recruiting search on him and saw amazing junior wins. Who exactly is this guy? Was he good in the USTA juniors ? Where is he now?

cmb
09-01-2009, 07:49 AM
The difference in the competition in europe and the states is that from the time they are 13 and 14 tennis is the job. THey play team matches for money to travel, they play money tournaments, which are national ranking points....unlike we have in the states. And from that time they know they are going to be a tennis coach, americans dont want to be tennis coaches, but the life of a tennis coach in europe is actually one of the best jobs you can get in some cases.
If you are a good player in europe you can survive for a long time playing just money tournaments/and team matches, so there is no need to get a job. The states does not have this...

sureshs
09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Is this a joke post? Other countries? The US invented putting great athletes through school with bogus grades!!

You mean school as in high school or as in college?

TnsMan2
09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Giron and Formentera both have left the USTA program after they were ruined by the coaching staff there and their levels began to drop rapidly under the coaches at Carson and Boca.