PDA

View Full Version : Cutting String from a Reel for a Friend

JRstriker12
08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
(FYI - I'm asking because I'm not a stringer)

Dear stringing experts -

My friend wants to try some Blue Gear that I have at home. I have a whole reel, so I don't mind cutting him some so he can try it out.

I want to make sure that he has enough string so the guy who strings his rackets has enough to work with AND also avoid any mistakes that might waste string.

Soooooooo.......

-How much should I cut for my friend?
-How much extra should I add on (let's say he needs X feet of string, should I add 3 feet more to make sure the string has enough for tie offs etc.)
-Any other newbie things I should avoid?

Thanks.

CallOfBooty
08-31-2009, 03:17 PM
to be as safe as possible, just cut 40 feet exactly. this will guarantee the stringer enough to do both the mains and crosses on any racket, oversize, 18x20, whatever.

lilxjohnyy
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
blue gear is a pain in the butt and fingers to string if you are not experienced with poly

Lakers4Life
08-31-2009, 03:23 PM
+1, 40 feet is more than enough. If you know the racquet he is using, you can look up the needed string length needed, or even ask here and someone can provide it.

Irvin
08-31-2009, 03:31 PM
40' should do it. One more thing, you may want to wrap the string around a ROLL (don't want you getting any crude ideas) of toilet paper and tie it to keep it from unraveling. Try not to get any kinks in the string. Oh and by the way take the string off the ROLL of toilet paper before you give it to your friend. You want the coil of string to be about 6" round.

Irvin

JRstriker12
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks to all for the replies!

Steve Huff
09-01-2009, 02:28 PM
If you knew what kind of racket he had it would help. Some rackets take as little as 33'. Of course, most sets come in 40', so as others mentioned, that would be a safe bet.