PDA

View Full Version : SPPP power level compared to a multi or stiffer poly?

Power Player
08-31-2009, 04:37 PM
I am getting my Donnay OS strung up with a full bed of SPPP. The previous string was an Isopure multi at 59#. It was great. I had a lot of control. I would like to keep that control, so how powerful is the SPPP?

I string Cyber Blue at 60# and Cyberflash at 57#. Multis at 59#. How should I string my SPPP in regards to the OS frame?

ClubHoUno
09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I am getting my Donnay OS strung up with a full bed of SPPP. The previous string was an Isopure multi at 59#. It was great. I had a lot of control. I would like to keep that control, so how powerful is the SPPP?

I string Cyber Blue at 60# and Cyberflash at 57#. Multis at 59#. How should I string my SPPP in regards to the OS frame?

The one bag of SPPP I tested felt pretty low powered and muted, which is why I consider it as my cross string in my Natural gut hybrid, as I need a string to cut down on the power a bit.

Tension maintenance was way better than in the Luxilon Alu BB ROUGH string.

Not sure you want a whole set of these poly's, they are made for players with lots of power, who need a string that will control their power and spin to keep the ball inside the lines.

You might consider a hybrid with a poly and a multi/syn gut/nat gut.
Just my advice if your looking for power.

The Luxilon alu bb strings are pretty powerfull but tough on your arm and they go dead in a matter of 3-4 hours for me. The Pro players don't mind this as they don't play with the same string more than 2 hours any way and they get the strings for free.

Power Player
09-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Not sure you want a whole set of these poly's, they are made for players with lots of power, who need a string that will control their power and spin to keep the ball inside the lines.

Thats how I play. I have been playing full bed poly for a while now. Just interested in what tension the SPPP should be at to retain the control and feel I get from my Donnay. The only reason there was a multi in it is because that is how it came shipped to me.

bad_call
09-01-2009, 05:50 AM
been a good while since using SPPP. mfg suggests dropping tension 5-10%. if not it will hit like a board...

stanfordtennis alum
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
i found SPPP to be pretty low-powered...also pretty muted..

Power Player
09-04-2009, 04:42 AM
I ended up getting it at 58# but I think I should do 60 next time. It has a little too much juice for an OS racquet still. But the string is great so far. I should have done Medium tension though (60#).

Fedace
09-04-2009, 04:49 AM
SPPP seem to be lower powered than any multi strings like Babolat Xcel or NRG2 which makes sense. It is also one of the Lower powered Poly in the market. Nice control though.
SPPP has Lower power than Proline2, Alu power rough, and similar power to Big Ace,,,,

Power Player
09-04-2009, 04:59 AM
yeah, it is lower powered...but it was still a little more juiced up then the multi that was in this racquet before. Im going to experiment a little, but I think since the racquet is an OS and it's reccomended range is 55-65, I need to go a bit higher then 58#.

If I can get the tension dialed in, I will probably buy a reel because the string has a lot going for it.

Fedace
09-04-2009, 05:09 AM
yeah, it is lower powered...but it was still a little more juiced up then the multi that was in this racquet before. Im going to experiment a little, but I think since the racquet is an OS and it's reccomended range is 55-65, I need to go a bit higher then 58#.

If I can get the tension dialed in, I will probably buy a reel because the string has a lot going for it.

Have you tried the Big Ace or Black code ? those are kind of similar power to SPPP but superior poly, i thought. and i am not sure if Babolat Revenge is similar power to SPPP ??????

Power Player
09-04-2009, 05:13 AM
Yeah, I like the SPPP better then the Big Ace. The tension was all over the place on the BA and the SPPP feels incredibly stable so far.