PDA

View Full Version : Advise on stringing APDC with luxilon alu rough

Mav84
08-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi guys,

I don't have much knowledge at all when it comes to strings etc so I'd be really grateful if you guys can help me out with this.

Basically, a couple of my friends have used the Luxilon big banger series strings and were raving about it, both said that it was the best strings they ever played with.

Therefore, I decided get my Babolat APDC strung with these to try them out and I wanted to ask a few things. The exact type of strings I'm using is the alu power 125 rough(16L gauge).

-) Can these be used on both mains and crosses? I remember stumbling upon an article on the internet a few days ago saying that these are normally used in hybrid patterns with other strings.

-) About adjusting the tension 10% lower, agree/disagree?

-) My previous strings used were the XCEL premium. What kind I of noticeable differences should I expect with the alu rough in terms of comfort, durability, spin potential etc?

-) Lastly, I know this may sound like a dumb question but I really don't know anything so I'll go ahead and ask anyway.. :) I bought only one box of these(40 feet total length), is this enough to cover both mains and crosses?

Many thanks.

Mav84
09-01-2009, 03:05 AM
anyone?(sorry 4 the bump btw)

Power Player
09-01-2009, 05:28 AM
-) Can these be used on both mains and crosses? I remember stumbling upon an article on the internet a few days ago saying that these are normally used in hybrid patterns with other strings.

-) About adjusting the tension 10% lower, agree/disagree?

-) Lastly, I know this may sound like a dumb question but I really don't know anything so I'll go ahead and ask anyway.. :) I bought only one box of these(40 feet total length), is this enough to cover both mains and crosses?

Many thanks.

I can say Yes to all those questions. What tension are you at now? Try the Lux at around 55# unless you are used to real high tension with full poly.

Mav84
09-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanx for the reply. My current tension is around 60lbs.

I can hit with decent power/depth but I wouldn't say I'm a very powerful hitter and I've read that you need to provide tons of power with this strings which worries me.

I was under the impression that these strings would add a bit of pop to my shots and not the other way around.

Thus, I'm thinking of reducing the tension to 54 lbs, any opinions?

Or if anyone who has also tried Xcel Premium(my previous strings) can make a brief comparison, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

ryushen21
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Power player said most of it. Since you are going from not a poly to a poly, I would follow the tension drop but not drastically. If you are at 60 now don't go lower than about 57.

Lux will feel stiff at first. But after about 15 minutes it will settle in and ALU Rough will feel amazing. It's a great string but not terribly long lasting.

davidahenry
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Can these be used on both mains and crosses? I remember stumbling upon an article on the internet a few days ago saying that these are normally used in hybrid patterns with other strings.

Yes - I play with a full bed of Alu Power Rough and absolutely love it. Some use it in just the mains, and others (Federer) use it in just the crosses. You have the freedom to choose.

About adjusting the tension 10% lower, agree/disagree?

Agree. Prior to switching to full Alu Rough, I always strung all multi's and syn guts at 65 lbs. When I switched to Alu, I experimented with different tensions but finally settled in at 58 lbs. - almost exactly a 10% decrease.

My previous strings used were the XCEL premium. What kind I of noticeable differences should I expect with the alu rough in terms of comfort, durability, spin potential etc?

Alu will be less comfortable - it is a much stiffer string than Xcel. Alu will be much more durable in the sense that it will not break as quickly. Alu, however, will not maintain tension and playability as well as Xcel. (I only get about 5 or 6 good hours of play out of a set of Alu. Then, the playability really starts to go downhill, and it becomes even more harsh on the arm. Spin potential... I guess this one depends on the type of swing you have. If you have a fast swing (a great deal of racquet head speed) and hit with a bunch of topspin like me, Alu will provide an incredible amount of spin / action on the ball. If you have a slower, flatter swing, you probably won't notice much spin difference. (In fact, if this is the case, you probably don't want to even consider a poly.)

Lastly, I know this may sound like a dumb question but I really don't know anything so I'll go ahead and ask anyway.. :) I bought only one box of these(40 feet total length), is this enough to cover both mains and crosses?

Yes.

Take care.

DH

Mav84
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

@davidahenry

Could you tell me how it compares to the XCEL in terms of power/control? Also from what I understand, the advantage of polyester strings is basically more durability for players that already hit very hard and with a lot of topspin, correct?

Basically from what I understand(since I don't hit with enormous power of topspin) maybe it would be better to stick with multifilament? In that case, any recommendations in the same category as the XCEL that would be perhaps better quality?

quest01
09-01-2009, 07:47 PM
I recently strung one of my APDC's with a full job of Luxilon ALU rough a little over 2 weeks ago with no problems. It took me a little longer stringing ALU rough on the crosses compared to what I previously used, Tecnifibre X-One Biphase but it wasn't too bad; I just needed a little more time and patience. I strung it at 63 pounds and the first few times I hit with the it, it was pretty stiff but it started to loosen up after about 4-6 hours of hitting.(about my 3rd time hitting)

davidahenry
09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
@davidahenry

Could you tell me how it compares to the XCEL in terms of power/control?

Hey there. I have only played with Babolat Xcel Power, so I'll base my comments on that. You will get more power from Xcel - along with a better, softer feel. You will get more control from Alu.

Also from what I understand, the advantage of polyester strings is basically more durability for players that already hit very hard and with a lot of topspin, correct?

Kind of. I think that is the prevailing thought on these boards, but I tend to think the main advantage of poly is something different...

I believe the main advantage of a poly is that it allows players to take big, full swings at the balls and thus keep them in between the lines. Players have gotten much stronger physically, and racquets have gotten more powerful. Add these to factors to a powerful string job (like gut or a high-powered multi), and players would be blasting balls long all of the time. Therefore, something had to give, and it wasn't going to be that players get weaker and racquets get weaker, so the adjustment had to come in the strings... Poly.

Poly's are much lower powered strings and thus allow players to take big swings at the ball, generate a ton of racquet head speed, and thus generate a ton of topspin.

Basically from what I understand(since I don't hit with enormous power of topspin) maybe it would be better to stick with multifilament? In that case, any recommendations in the same category as the XCEL that would be perhaps better quality?

Prior to switching to full Alu last summer, I tried four different high-end multi's:

1. Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase
2. Gamma LiveWire TNT
3. WeissCanon Explosiv!
4. Babolat Xcel Power

Of these four, Xcel Power was my favorite - just an all-around great string. It is, however, the most expensive of the four.

I hope my rantings help.

Take care.

DH

Mav84
09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
That's some great info, thank you very much.

I'll definitely try out XCEL Power, I'm actually thinking of stringing one racquet with that and the other one with alu and see how it feels. In such case the one with the alu rough should be strung 4-5 lbs lower than the other one, right?

davidahenry
09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
That's some great info, thank you very much.

YW.

I'll definitely try out XCEL Power, I'm actually thinking of stringing one racquet with that and the other one with alu and see how it feels.

Good idea. It is always good to experiment with different string setups and determine what works best for you.

In such case the one with the alu rough should be strung 4-5 lbs lower than the other one, right?

If 4-5 lbs. equates to 10% for you, then I'd say yes.

Take care.

DH