PDA

View Full Version : String for O3 Tour

cadfael_tex
08-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Just picked up a Prince O3 Tour (the original version mp) to give it another chance. Had one when they first came out, gave up on it, regretted selling it.

What strings and tensions have people found that work or would recommend?

I'm starting playing again after a layoff (3 years now, 14 years before that). My game was serve and volley but it's transitioning (I think) to a more baseline/all court game. I'm moving my grips from eastern to semiwestern on the FH side and might be going back to the 2HBH. Haven't had any arm problems but I'm old and brittle so as much as I'm curious about poly hybrids I'm not sure if they're the best idea.

Thanks.

BTW, currently using X-1 biphase in my Slaz X1's and like it - crisp but not hard and pretty good tension maintenance.

meowmix
08-31-2009, 06:17 PM
My friend had his strung up with simple PSGD... it was surprisingly very very nice. And this is from a guy that loves poly hybrids in an APD clone.

cadfael_tex
08-31-2009, 06:43 PM
The one that I am getting is coming with Prince Premier (not sure which flavor) and if it is in decent shape I'll probably leave it in for a bit. Right now I'm leaning to putting a full biphase string job in but don't know what tension (maybe about 59).

The other options I've thought of are full gut (really like the look of the Pacific blue spiral) or going with a gut and alu flouro hybrid to see what all the hype is about.

cadfael_tex
09-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Anybody else? Bueller?

Ljubicic for number1
09-01-2009, 05:57 AM
I used to use full blue gear in mine, but when I purchased them secondhand they come with Gamma professional and they played very well.

Irvin
09-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Gamma Live Wire XP 17 is what I use in my hybrid tours.

Irvin

cadfael_tex
09-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the help. One more question (at least) does the muted feeling from the O-ports help lessen the impact (ie arm trouble) from polys?

Irvin
09-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the help. One more question (at least) does the muted feeling from the O-ports help lessen the impact (ie arm trouble) from polys?

The muted feel from the O3 rackets does not come from the O3 ports it comes from the soft grommets the string goes through usually located in the throat of the racket. I do not like that muted feel or any other type of anti-vibration device so I got the hybrid tour model which does not have those soft grommets in the throat.

As far as lessening the arm impact with anti-vibration devices I would not count on it. If you have arm problems stay away from poly or other stiff strings.

Irvin

Ljubicic for number1
09-01-2009, 01:57 PM
You can replace the soft grommet with a hard one and get a bit less of a muted feel but some of it comes from the ports as the stringbed is floating.