PDA

View Full Version : Does X-1 BiPhase really feel like natural gut?

dadozen
08-31-2009, 07:09 PM
X-1 Biphase( and some other TF strings, but I'm mostly interested on X-1 ) is commonly advertised as being one of the closest synthetic strings to natural gut.

I'm wondering if it's really true. According to RSI string selector map, X-1 is a lot stiffer, but tension loss it actually very similar.

I've never played with NG before, nor intend to. Not that I'm not curious, but I'm afraid of liking it a lot and going bankrupt:lol:

Carlito
08-31-2009, 07:13 PM
personally i think its close. especially when yout use them as cross strings. but gut hold tension much better and lasts longer.

dadozen
08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for your input. Do you get controllable power just like you do with natural gut? I'm a bit afraid to get much power since I'm a poly user.

Also, how would a X-1(M)/PLII(X) perform? Would it last or would PLII saw the X-1 away? I've once tried Maxim Touch mains and Big Ace crosses and it lasted me 1h...........

Fedace
08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
NO, not even close. X-1 is much more Crisp and control and feel is not as good. I think Xcel power is much closer in feel.

hollywood9826
08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your input. Do you get controllable power just like you do with natural gut? I'm a bit afraid to get much power since I'm a poly user.

Also, how would a X-1(M)/PLII(X) perform? Would it last or would PLII saw the X-1 away? I've once tried Maxim Touch mains and Big Ace crosses and it lasted me 1h...........

I will say for me X-1 is the closet I have used to natural gut. Not a replacement for it though and not really all that close IMO, but for me its closet I have used. I felt the power was there but it was still controllable. NRG was more powerful to me and alot more balls would sail on me.

I was going x-1 17g (M) red code 17 (X) and felt it was the best hybrid i have ever used. power was there still and a bit more spin han full X-1. But I would get at best 3 hours before the ed code cut through the X-1. But those three hours were awesome. Never tried the string saver route on that set up before. and red code (M) X-1 (X) wasnt even close.

neverstopplaying
08-31-2009, 07:27 PM

I tend not to put multis in mains with poly crosses as the poly does saw through very quickly on many of my frames, but not all. PLII (M) / X-1 (X) is a good setup. It will give you more feel than a full poly and last longer than X-1 mains. X-1 will have less of a trampoline affect than most syn guts. All this is relative to your chosen tensions, hitting style and frames.

dadozen
08-31-2009, 07:30 PM
I will say for me X-1 is the closet I have used to natural gut. Not a replacement for it though and not really all that close IMO, but for me its closet I have used. I felt the power was there but it was still controllable. NRG was more powerful to me and alot more balls would sail on me.

I was going x-1 17g (M) red code 17 (X) and felt it was the best hybrid i have ever used. power was there still and a bit more spin han full X-1. But I would get at best 3 hours before the ed code cut through the X-1. But those three hours were awesome. Never tried the string saver route on that set up before. and red code (M) X-1 (X) wasnt even close.

Thanks a lot! Which gauges of X-1 and NRG2 did you use as fulljobs? I'll be testing X-1 1.24mm and NRG2 16g( 1.32mm ).

Well, it's not that I want or need it to be close to natural gut. It's just curiosity anyways, since people say that it couldn't get any better than natural gut:)

フェデラー
08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Ive used biphase 17 and its not even close to the amazing feel of gut.

dantesinferno18
08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
How does NRG compare to X-1 in coming close to gut? im just wondering if i could get away with NRG because it is cheaper

ClubHoUno
09-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I've used X1, and it's a great string, but not close to gut.

The closest to gut multi out there is the one I use in my two wet weather racquets and it's Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Prostock.
Second closest is Babolat Xcel Power.

t_e_n_n_i_s
09-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Here is a link to a test recently carried out comparing different strings http://www.tecnifibre.co.uk/media/documents/trade/String%20Test%20Results.pdf As you can see the multifilament x-one string is the closest to natural gut...

hollywood9826
09-01-2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks a lot! Which gauges of X-1 and NRG2 did you use as fulljobs? I'll be testing X-1 1.24mm and NRG2 16g( 1.32mm ).

Well, it's not that I want or need it to be close to natural gut. It's just curiosity anyways, since people say that it couldn't get any better than natural gut:)

I used only 17g. My VS touch was 17 g as well. And it might just be but the red X-1 doesnt quite have the feel of regular X-1. its like the red seemed a bit stiffer to me.

rasajadad
09-01-2009, 05:42 AM
X-1 is an excellent string but for me the power level of nat gut was much higher. The X-1 holds tension very well and lasts, but for me, the natural is well worth it.

By the way, if you do like the NRG2, give Pro Supex Maxim Touch a try. Feels similar at less than 1/2 the price.

SORRY- I just read your other thread and see that you've tries PSMT. If you think it's too soft, skip the NRG2.

dadozen
09-01-2009, 05:50 AM
I used only 17g. My VS touch was 17 g as well. And it might just be but the red X-1 doesnt quite have the feel of regular X-1. its like the red seemed a bit stiffer to me.

Hmmm, I ordered the red 1.24mm X-1. But I did it because I'm using PLII, and I liked a lot red strings on my racquets. Was it very different or just slightly different?

dadozen
09-01-2009, 05:54 AM
X-1 is an excellent string but for me the power level of nat gut was much higher. The X-1 holds tension very well and lasts, but for me, the natural is well worth it.

By the way, if you do like the NRG2, give Pro Supex Maxim Touch a try. Feels similar at less than 1/2 the price.

SORRY- I just read your other thread and see that you've tries PSMT. If you think it's too soft, skip the NRG2.

Thanks man, but I've tried PSMT 1.25mm. This is the softest version of it, both 1.30mm and 1.35mm are way stiffer than that. At least, according to RSI string selector map.

One bad thing about multis is that they get waaay dirty. I mostly play on clay courts.

Carlito
09-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Actually, I prefer nrg2 17 over x-1. I think it has more power. For me its controlable but i use a mid sized frame strung at 63 lbs, so its all relative. I always like a fresh string job before a match so I don't mind breaking strings often. So constantly restringing a cheaper sting is better for me than paying for gut.

Just to give an example of how close NRG felt to gut for me. I was playing a tournament and I broke a string. It was lux/tonic hybrid. I accidentally grabed the wrong racket strung with lux/nrg. I didn't even notice untill after the match that it was not gut but it played just as well.

But that just for the cross. A full job would be more noticable obviously. But I play with gut and synthetics. To be honest, its just a matter of preference. But I know gut last longer.

Kevo
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
X1 is nothing like gut. The feel is totally different. I'm not saying it's a bad string, and if you are going to hybrid with poly then it may work just as well in a cross for you, but in a full bed it will feel quite different.

With a poly hybrid, and the poly in the mains, I tend to use soft synthetic guts. I may change to global gut if I can ever get any ordered since it's cheap, but syn gut is really cheap and it does a nice job of softening the poly and giving a bit more feel.