PDA

View Full Version : ag 100 vs mg prestige mid

hjungj21o
08-31-2009, 09:10 PM
hey guys, i narrowed it down to these 2 racquets. im a 3.5-4.0 player who just needs to work on 2nd serves D: im more comfortable around the baseline, but i've improved much better on volleys. i can use both 2-handed and 1-handed backhands(for some odd reason 1-handed seemed alot more comfortable when using the k90 tour)

previous racquet: LM radical(stock). gives me elbow problems.

people tell me the ag100 has no power whatsoever. but you can't beat the price of this racquet. 2 ag = 1 mg prestige. but they say prestige is the better investment.

ugh help. i don't want to demo those 2 racquets again.

i still need to buy bindings&boots for my new snowboard T.T

diehard6.0
08-31-2009, 10:09 PM
hey guys, i narrowed it down to these 2 racquets. im a 3.5-4.0 player who just needs to work on 2nd serves D: im more comfortable around the baseline, but i've improved much better on volleys. i can use both 2-handed and 1-handed backhands(for some odd reason 1-handed seemed alot more comfortable when using the k90 tour)

previous racquet: LM radical(stock). gives me elbow problems.

people tell me the ag100 has no power whatsoever. but you can't beat the price of this racquet. 2 ag = 1 mg prestige. but they say prestige is the better investment.

ugh help. i don't want to demo those 2 racquets again.

i still need to buy bindings&boots for my new snowboard T.T

Microgel Prestige Mid is also a very low-powered racquet.
Your decision might hinge upon string pattern (open vs. dense).
AG100 would be easier on your arm, in that respect.

javierjavier
08-31-2009, 11:52 PM
if you can handle the mp prestige mid i personally think it's a better option. it's balanced perfectly and really smacks the ball.

i disagree with diehard though, the mg prestige is a power racket. with the way it's weighted and balanced it just hits a heavy ball. after playing with the mg prestige mid the ag 100 feels light and unstable. i can hit a lot harder with the mp prestige mid vs the ag 100 stock.

that said, the ag 100 is so light there is a lot of room for customization. i liked it, but even with weight it just never feels as solid as the prestige mid.

naylor
09-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I went from the Prestige Mid to the AG100 (via a Redondo Mid).

My original rackets were n90s, which I enjoyed playing with. However, I did not like the new k90s as much - very good for hitting with, but because of the high swingweight (it actually went up from the n to the k) in matches I was regularly late on the forehand. So, I switched to the Prestige Mid - which on paper has similar weight / swingweight / balance characteristics to the n90. Still, somehow I found them a lot more muted than the n90s, with much less feel for the ball in the stringbed, and my lateness on the forehand was still there. So, I tried the Redondos (same weight, lower swingweight), and then the AG100s (fractionally less weight, lower swingweight again).

The AG100 suits my game. I play S&V singles, and lots of doubles, so I need an accurate stick for serving, low swingweight for quick volleying, and an open 16x19 frame that will help add extra spin on sliced backhand approaches and on deep forehand returns - and the AG100 does that perfectly.

By the same token, those characteristics make it less than ideal for matches spent mostly rallying side-to-side from the baseline. For that kind of game, the extra mass and swingweight of the Prestige Mid helps put more weight on the ball, so your opponent finds it harder to play those than the relatively lighter ball coming out of the AG100.

The answers are, simply, 1) go for the Prestige Mid if you're mainly a baseline player, or 2) if you want to play all-court, add some lead to the AG100 (I suggest, at 9-3 or 10-2 to start with, to see how it feels) to add more stability to the rackethead and bring the mass and swingweight closer to that of the Prestige Mid.

hjungj21o
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
i hit with the open-string pattern of k90 tour and it gave me 2x the topspin and slices without even trying compared to the lm radical. volleys were alot more stable too.

im guessing the ag100 will play similar, but i really liked the solidness of the k90, which ag100 seems to lack.
my friend told me that if i really liked the k90, then why bother demoing the ag100 and the prestige. he does have a point lol.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh decisions decisions decisions.

rfprse
09-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Your friend indeed has a point. But you mentioned the price factor which is not so minor issue which I fully understand. By the way, from my experience AG 100 does not play like k90 for better or worse.

furyoku_tennis
09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
the ag100 is like a toy compared to the k90. why not just get a couple of used k90 on the forums?