PDA

View Full Version : playing with a heavy racket >>

Kirko
08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
I was day dreaming a bit during a meeting to day about tennis and wondered why or how a guy migrates to a "heavy" frame. I remember when I lived at lakeridge tennis club in Reno,NV there was a kid I played all the time he used light Head Vilas rackets 12.5 unstrung. this kid hit so much pace & topspin and when he needed some new frames he bought three dunlop maxply forts in the medium weight or range. I always played lt.-med. 13 oz. and I asked him why the jump in weight and he told me the vilas frames began to feel like he was swinging a feather. of course this is when wood still was the desired material for a frame.

autumn_leaf
08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
well for me it was stumbling across this forum XD! a lot of people here promote heavier sticks. i think it is good to learn on but people should be more reasonable with what they use if they play competitively.

because i use heavier sticks anything around 11-11.5 oz feels like a feather to me. i'm actually thinking about moving down in weight so i can take advantage of a faster swing speed.

Mick
08-31-2009, 11:46 PM
i have a racquet that weights 14.5 oz. it feels like a baseball bat :shock:

louis netman
08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
As the kid was growing, he naturally gravitated toward more mass. He swung the heavier frame at the same speed, this was good... When we get older, it's the other way around :-(...I still don't like lighter weight frames, however. Since I used those heavy, wooden frames as a child, I have no problem with my 365g frames as a full-grown adult...

Today, many adult players enter the game and become accustomed to lighter frames. As they experience a slow, but progressive decline in strength, heavier frames will naturally feel cumbersome.

wyutani
08-31-2009, 11:50 PM
heavy = more power. too light = tennis elbow.

akybo
09-01-2009, 01:54 AM
I saw good players who like lighter frames.
For example,a friend who played in nationals in his junior times,now plays with a pure drive team+ but he has beautifull long strokes,I think made by the PS 85's he played in that time.

Kirko
09-01-2009, 02:00 AM
As the kid was growing, he naturally gravitated toward more mass. He swung the heavier frame at the same speed, this was good... When we get older, it's the other way around :-(...I still don't like lighter weight frames, however. Since I used those heavy, wooden frames as a child, I have no problem with my 365g frames as a full-grown adult...

Today, many adult players enter the game and become accustomed to lighter frames. As they experience a slow, but progressive decline in strength, heavier frames will naturally feel cumbersome.

I switched to a lighter frame 12 oz. strung and 100 sq. inch headsize , (babolat pure drive roddick) I just can't play as much as I like and this weight combined with what its made of give me what I used before without tiring out or taking so long to gain my timing hitting the ball.