PDA

View Full Version : no more block seeding in socal!!!

papatenis
08-31-2009, 10:31 PM
block seeding was just WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:twisted:socal/usta junior tennis council tried to find someway to protect their top juniors from having to play lesser players and to play less matches during designated tournaments.:evil:

mrmo1115
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
What really is block seeding . I don't understand it .

tenniscrazed
09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
What really is block seeding . I don't understand it .

Its BS is what it is. Here is how it works. If you're a "held out player" (seeded 1 - 16) then everyone else has to "quali" to your match. Which is great if you're no longer a developing junior. IMHO everyone MUST play everyone. These kids aren't Federers (yet), not Nadals (yet), not Jokovichs (yet) and don't need to be held out. Let them play anyone and everyone. If they are that good they'll win.

When I was a kid, if you were playing someone of lower level, then at the point you had a comfortable lead you then implemented another play style, if it continued to work due to the inconsistency of your opponent then you closed the match. If not, then you went back and finished the match.

The argument that they will be playing too many matches doesn't wash. Then reduce the # of tourneys required for endorsements. Simple as that.

SoCal10s
09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
not entirely bad: in SoCal the Jr. designated are scheduled for 2 weekend.. it's almost impossible to schedule hundreds of matches on limited courts for all those age divisions .. 10,12,14,16,18.. boys and girls .. some tournaments have over a 1000 entries ,so how do fit them all in? ... plus the seeded players are hardly going to ever lose to someone who is ranked below 50.. so if your ranking is low and you get a bad draw every tournament you enter because you cannot get out of the 1st or 2nd round,because your ranking is low,this becomes an endless chase..
at least with the block seeding ,you eliminate those high ranked kids for a few early rounds, so now lower ranked kids would have a chance to prove themselves and have some wins against someone who they might have a chance to beat.. I know kids who got bad draws all the time and it discourages them from competing in Jr. tournaments ... those high ranked kids will bagel and double bagel decent players all the time,so what do any of those party get out of that match?
as far as the 12,14,and even the 16s ,those top 5 players are really un-touchable for those lower ranked kids.. there is no way they will lose to a lower ranked kid,if they do ,it's like Nadal losing the French when he's healthy..

regardless of any system .there's always going to be flaws ,but at least they are trying something to solve it.. it's very hard to run a tournament with limited courts and limited time and when we have weather delays and cancelations it's rather impossible to do..

now they're using points per round system .. OK so go back to getting more higher ranked kids play more tournaments or they lose their rankings .. big deal... the better players don't care about sectional stuff anyways ,they're chasing national points ... and ITF level tournaments .. and when they come back and show up to play a tournament again ,they will be ranked lower and mess up the draw..

kme5150
09-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Prior to our section having block seeding our son beat a young man in 25 minutes with only losing 4 points in the match. When they finished, the boy told his mom that he would never play tennis again and started crying. Does this really help either player?

It won't take too many tournaments for them to realize that there was a reason they started it in the first place.

The whole object is to grow the game. If you start breaking a kid's spirit early there is little chance he will continue to play.

I know that people think that the sections are trying to "protect" the top players with block seeding but to be honest with you the top players are playing 3 hours a day anyway so it really doesn't matter to them.

SoCal10s
09-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Prior to our section having block seeding our son beat a young man in 25 minutes with only losing 4 points in the match. When they finished, the boy told his mom that he would never play tennis again and started crying. Does this really help either player?

It won't take too many tournaments for them to realize that there was a reason they started it in the first place.

The whole object is to grow the game. If you start breaking a kid's spirit early there is little chance he will continue to play.

I know that people think that the sections are trying to "protect" the top players with block seeding but to be honest with you the top players are playing 3 hours a day anyway so it really doesn't matter to them.

thank you for sharing that: I have a player I know who constantly got bad draws during his 14s boys first year,he's not a bad player ranked around the mid 20s when he aged out in the 12s.. the next year he moved up to the 14s,he met a high seed either 1st or 2nd round ,his spirit was crushed and he didn't even bother to play the sectional tournament that year,because he said there was no use trying to get a ranking anyways...

I know another player ,he's a top 5 in SoCal... he'll win so many matches with bagels ,it's not even fair.. he's so mentally tough at times,if you're just a bit not consistent ,he'll embarrass you with a bagel .. recently he beat a very good player 6-0,6-0 .. afterwards the other player asked him to report 6-4,6-4... he did .. the boy told him that it would embarrassing if his coaches saw that double bagel ... I'm just trying to point out why block seeding was not a totally bad idea ... unless you have kids playing tournaments who have lost 6-0,6-0 and you know your kid played his/her heart out and still got spanked ,you'll argue that block seeding is unfair ect..all you've got to see a kids face when they've trained as hard as they could and still got crushed ,there's nothing honorable about that..

fruitytennis1
09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Its not to protect top players really. More so, so that lower players arent slaughtered and they can get the 100s of matches on court on time.

ClarkC
09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
No one has really explained block seeding so far, so I don't understand it.

Furthermore, these anecdotes about players getting double bagled in 25 minutes make me wonder what the heck Southern California is doing with its tournaments. Our section has tournament levels that don't interest the top players at all, so a beginner will never face a top player. What's up in Southern California that is so different?

SoCal10s
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
No one has really explained block seeding so far, so I don't understand it.

Furthermore, these anecdotes about players getting double bagled in 25 minutes make me wonder what the heck Southern California is doing with its tournaments. Our section has tournament levels that don't interest the top players at all, so a beginner will never face a top player. What's up in Southern California that is so different?

block seeding is when the tournament sits out the 8 seeded players or 16 seeded players until the last weekend.. all the other players who are not seeded or placed ,play like qualifying rounds to advance to the last weekend so they will meet the seeded or placed players in the main draw sort of.. either 8 or 16 qualifiers,depending on the set up..

What's up in Southern California that is so different?[/QUOTE]
our sectional tournament have over 1400 kids.. in SoCal we have far too many players to fit into a draw that will allow them to finish everything in 2 weekends .. as is most of the designated Jr. tournaments the players are playing 2 single matches a day and if you have doubles at the same tournament they have 4 matches a day..
this past season, a player I know played 17 sets(4 singles matches and 4 doubles matches) in one weekend.. she was hurting for a few days after that..

ClarkC
09-02-2009, 02:23 PM
our sectional tournament have over 1400 kids..

1400 kids in one age group? 1400 boys? 700 boys and 700 girls?

Sorry, just need details in order to make sense out of it.

papatenis
09-04-2009, 07:45 AM
why block seeding is bad idea:
top seeds in regular draw receive "bye" first round, so they play someone that has at least won first round match.
if you check the final draw, there is always one held out player that pulls out, and that spot is not replaced.
usually the players not held out are ranked 15 and below. these players have to fight it out between themselves to make it to the final draw, they don't get the chance to play held out players unless they make it to the final draw, but socal is so deep, that ranked players 1-40 can beat each other on any give day
discussed block seeding with dennis rizza, director of woody hunt designated,
told me that it is very difficult to schedule matches for the final draw, basically scheduling 32 draw in two days
in socal, we have three level of tournaments for juniors, satellite, novice and open. kids that play in the designated should be open players, therefore they relish the chance to play a top player. thou they may lose, they can see how they stack up against a top player

us open is an open draw, no block seeding
best example, yesterday who beat the no. 4 women in the second round????

papatenis
09-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Its not to protect top players really. More so, so that lower players arent slaughtered and they can get the 100s of matches on court on time.

socal has three different levels of junior tournaments. novice, satellite and open, kids that play in the open (tournaments with block seeding) should be open players

SoCal10s
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
why block seeding is bad idea:

usually the players not held out are ranked 15 and below. these players have to fight it out between themselves to make it to the final draw, they don't get the chance to play held out players unless they make it to the final draw, but socal is so deep, that ranked players 1-40 can beat each other on any give day
us open is an open draw, no block seeding
best example, yesterday who beat the no. 4 women in the second round????

so I don't see the lower ranked players fighting it out as a bad thing... they eventually win and get to play the top seeds on the second weekend... there is no fatigue factor here,unless it's a rain out or weather delay.. and what you say about SoCal being so deep,is not entirely true... just go to the rankings and click any top 5 player, I doubt if any has lost any matches against players below 15 ,unless they got hurt or injured that match...
if you're thinking well ,my daughter deserves to play some higher ranked players because she's ready to beat them,then she should make it into the second week end with no problems.. right?

I just hate to see a top rank player beat lower ranked kids 0-0 ,all the time.. it just wastes everyone's time and energy to having both parties go to a tournament to get a 6-0,6-0 match..

and the US open ,there are qualifying rounds and pre-qualies tournaments that you do before you earn your way to play the better players..

papatenis
09-04-2009, 09:08 AM
so I don't see the lower ranked players fighting it out as a bad thing... they eventually win and get to play the top seeds on the second weekend... there is no fatigue factor here,unless it's a rain out or weather delay.. and what you say about SoCal being so deep,is not entirely true... just go to the rankings and click any top 5 player, I doubt if any has lost any matches against players below 15 ,unless they got hurt or injured that match...
if you're thinking well ,my daughter deserves to play some higher ranked players because she's ready to beat them,then she should make it into the second week end with no problems.. right?

I just hate to see a top rank player beat lower ranked kids 0-0 ,all the time.. it just wastes everyone's time and energy to having both parties go to a tournament to get a 6-0,6-0 match..

and the US open ,there are qualifying rounds and pre-qualies tournaments that you do before you earn your way to play the better players..

kids that enter designated tournaments should be open players, if they feel they are not ready for open tournaments, they should go back to satellite's or novice tournaments. remember, designated's are needed for endorsements for super nationals, so they are almost on level with national level three tournaments.
us open does not "hold out top players" into final draw.

SoCal10s
09-04-2009, 09:34 AM
kids that enter designated tournaments should be open players, if they feel they are not ready for open tournaments, they should go back to satellite's or novice tournaments. remember, designated's are needed for endorsements for super nationals, so they are almost on level with national level three tournaments.
us open does not "hold out top players" into final draw.

well if one day SCTA gets a designated tournaments going that limits entries where if your rankings is too low you cannot get in.. in a sense like National tournaments then I would agree with you.. those Nat'l should not be 'block seedings' SoCal tournaments anyone can enter even if you're ranked 1000..
the #1000 rank would not into the US open main draw... so why do you keep talking about US open ?
we're talking about kids who are playing tournaments to get a taste of competition ,they need not to be blown out of the water all the time..
no use trying to make a point with someone who has no compassion for kids who may be turned off by the too tough competitors SoCal has..

papatenis
09-04-2009, 09:42 AM
well if one day SCTA gets a designated tournaments going that limits entries where if your rankings is too low you cannot get in.. in a sense like National tournaments then I would agree with you.. those Nat'l should not be 'block seedings' SoCal tournaments anyone can enter even if you're ranked 1000..
the #1000 rank would not into the US open main draw... so why do you keep talking about US open ?
we're talking about kids who are playing tournaments to get a taste of competition ,they need not to be blown out of the water all the time..
no use trying to make a point with someone who has no compassion for kids who may be turned off by the too tough competitors SoCal has..

socal10s, like i said, socal has novice, satellite and open junior tournaments.
there is plenty of competition in satellite tournaments. i had my daughter and son play them until they won one, they they moved into "open" tournaments. if a child feels "turned off" by being "blown out of the water", they should play novice or satellite's until their game improves.

SoCal10s
09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
socal10s, like i said, socal has novice, satellite and open junior tournaments.
there is plenty of competition in satellite tournaments. i had my daughter and son play them until they won one, they they moved into "open" tournaments. if a child feels "turned off" by being "blown out of the water", they should play novice or satellite's until their game improves.

I know all about those tournaments,I'm into SoCal tennis as you may notice.. I like the block seeding because in SoCal we have so many diverse types of Jr players.. I know a bunch of over-achieving kids who have to have to do straight 'A' in school plus play tournament level tennis to get some kind of ranking.. these kids are different form those home-schooled/academy types .. those guys I call professionals,all they do is tennis... a normal over-achiever rarely has any chance against those professional kids.. there are certainly a few exceptions,but in most cases nada.. these professional kids are the ones who get the 'block seedings' -- they'll destroy a regular kid all the time and this is why I see 'block seeding' is a good thing..
I have kids who gets straight 'A' and can realistically spend about 1-2 hours a day(at most) on their tennis,this means playing/practice/fitness/lessons/ect.. where as those professional kids are spending 6 hours a day for their tennis... this is SoCal tennis .. there are big difference in skills and everything else ... on one hand you have kids who want to get good enough to into a Ivy or a high academic college using their tennis skills and the others are pro bound(or at least think that).

TennisTaxi
09-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I know all about those tournaments,I'm into SoCal tennis as you may notice.. I like the block seeding because in SoCal we have so many diverse types of Jr players.. I know a bunch of over-achieving kids who have to have to do straight 'A' in school plus play tournament level tennis to get some kind of ranking.. these kids are different form those home-schooled/academy types .. those guys I call professionals,all they do is tennis... a normal over-achiever rarely has any chance against those professional kids.. there are certainly a few exceptions,but in most cases nada.. these professional kids are the ones who get the 'block seedings' -- they'll destroy a regular kid all the time and this is why I see 'block seeding' is a good thing..
I have kids who gets straight 'A' and can realistically spend about 1-2 hours a day(at most) on their tennis,this means playing/practice/fitness/lessons/ect.. where as those professional kids are spending 6 hours a day for their tennis... this is SoCal tennis .. there are big difference in skills and everything else ... on one hand you have kids who want to get good enough to into a Ivy or a high academic college using their tennis skills and the others are pro bound(or at least think that).

Well said!!

SoCalDominates
09-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Well said. There are some exceptions however like DF from San Diego in the 16s, AY from SD in the 18s (btw he has had unbelievable results this summer) and myself for example. Were straight A students all of us at real schools. I go to a full day of school 8-230. no independent p.e. or anything for tennis. Same with DF and AY and we seem to compete pretty well in SoCal but once u get outta SoCal the "professionals" as u call them are too good because they train all day every day.

SoCal10s
09-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Well said. There are some exceptions however like DF from San Diego in the 16s, AY from SD in the 18s (btw he has had unbelievable results this summer) and myself for example. Were straight A students all of us at real schools. I go to a full day of school 8-230. no independent p.e. or anything for tennis. Same with DF and AY and we seem to compete pretty well in SoCal but once u get outta SoCal the "professionals" as u call them are too good because they train all day every day.

yeah Thanks: I love to see over-achievers like you,KC,AY,plus all my asian connection who went to all those Ivys this past season.. MS,JH.. from Irvine .. ML.,JT,and DL :Stanford ,LP: MIT, and a whole bunch of other great guys who used tennis to get into great colleges .. I hear AY is heading for Ivy too.. this is what I love to see with SoCal tennis.. soon it will be your turn,so keep striving for those Ivys .. good luck...

ClarkC
09-05-2009, 02:52 AM
The corresponding level of tournament in the Mid-Atlantic, a level 1 sectional, has a limited size draw and you have to be ranked high enough to be accepted into the tournament. Frankly, the system in Southern California sounds pretty stupid. Play one level of tournament until you can win that level, then move up.

Generally, in the Mid-Atlantic, if a player can win at level X, then he can get into the draw at level X-2 where the levels go from 1 (best) to 5 (least) with a few level 6 tournaments for kids playing their first tournament. Having only three levels of tournaments sounds inadequate, among other problems.

papatenis
09-05-2009, 09:56 AM
The corresponding level of tournament in the Mid-Atlantic, a level 1 sectional, has a limited size draw and you have to be ranked high enough to be accepted into the tournament. Frankly, the system in Southern California sounds pretty stupid. Play one level of tournament until you can win that level, then move up.

Generally, in the Mid-Atlantic, if a player can win at level X, then he can get into the draw at level X-2 where the levels go from 1 (best) to 5 (least) with a few level 6 tournaments for kids playing their first tournament. Having only three levels of tournaments sounds inadequate, among other problems.

i think mid-atlantic has a good system. in previous replies, there is support for the block seeding because they felt that first round blowouts had a negative effect on some kids.
if socal designated tournaments (highest level socal tourn) limited the draw to say top 64 ranked players, then that might reduce the chance of first round blowouts and scheduling issues. i also like the fact that you have to win matches in lower level tournaments inorder to play in the upper next level tournaments

mrmo1115
09-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Its BS is what it is. Here is how it works. If you're a "held out player" (seeded 1 - 16) then everyone else has to "quali" to your match. Which is great if you're no longer a developing junior. IMHO everyone MUST play everyone. These kids aren't Federers (yet), not Nadals (yet), not Jokovichs (yet) and don't need to be held out. Let them play anyone and everyone. If they are that good they'll win.

When I was a kid, if you were playing someone of lower level, then at the point you had a comfortable lead you then implemented another play style, if it continued to work due to the inconsistency of your opponent then you closed the match. If not, then you went back and finished the match.

The argument that they will be playing too many matches doesn't wash. Then reduce the # of tourneys required for endorsements. Simple as that.

In that case, my section also has this Block Seeding

In our sectionals, 24 kids get through into the main draw directly while the rest have to play a qualifier to fill the last 8 players. (32 draw with consolation)

However, every 4 sectionals there is 1 that is called a Single Elimination in which everyone is in the same draw, no back draw

Is that the same as the SoCal block seeding you are talking about?

papatenis
09-05-2009, 11:05 PM
In that case, my section also has this Block Seeding

In our sectionals, 24 kids get through into the main draw directly while the rest have to play a qualifier to fill the last 8 players. (32 draw with consolation)

However, every 4 sectionals there is 1 that is called a Single Elimination in which everyone is in the same draw, no back draw

Is that the same as the SoCal block seeding you are talking about?

no, socal block seeding is the same as your sectionals, but only 8 players are held out (automatically placed in final 32 draw) the rest of the players have to play down to fill into the final draw
"single elimination" tournaments sound good. that is truly a "open" tournament. it would great if all the different sections trade idea's about how to run tournaments.

mrmo1115
09-06-2009, 09:01 AM
no, socal block seeding is the same as your sectionals, but only 8 players are held out (automatically placed in final 32 draw) the rest of the players have to play down to fill into the final draw
"single elimination" tournaments sound good. that is truly a "open" tournament. it would great if all the different sections trade idea's about how to run tournaments.

I think that since we have 12 sectionals a year that we do 6 with the regular single elimination and 6 with the qualifying draw and a main draw.

That way , both sides can be satisfied

papatenis
09-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I think that since we have 12 sectionals a year that we do 6 with the regular single elimination and 6 with the qualifying draw and a main draw.

That way , both sides can be satisfied

that is really a great compromise, you are right, that would satisfy both sides

Gus
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
1400 kids in one age group? 1400 boys? 700 boys and 700 girls?

Sorry, just need details in order to make sense out of it.

Here's a link to the Los Cab tournament this coming weekend. A little over a thousand entrants for all divisions. I think the Yamasaki in October is usually bigger since it also has dubs.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=79664

I don't have any issues with block seeding. It seemed like a good idea for all. If block seeding helped get these tournaments done in two weekends then I'm all for it.

coloskier
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Single Elimination has been tried, and they lost almost 60% of their entrants. Youngsters need to be assured of at least two matches to justify traveling to tournaments.

SoCal10s
09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
no more block seeding = more wasted 1st weekends at So Cal designated tournaments ...

I've had a few parents telling me that they will be playing a lot less designated tournaments and play more nationals and ITF's..

papatenis
09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
They has been discussion that without block seeding, first round matches would be "blowouts", it would be "demoralizing for kids".
On the other hand, these uneven matches would give the better player a chance to practice a new "technique", or work on different "strategies"
in a tournament match.
It's sort of a passage for all players to progress from first round losers to becoming eventual champions.

SoCal10s
09-11-2009, 08:04 AM
They has been discussion that without block seeding, first round matches would be "blowouts", it would be "demoralizing for kids".
On the other hand, these uneven matches would give the better player a chance to practice a new "technique", or work on different "strategies"
in a tournament match.
It's sort of a passage for all players to progress from first round losers to becoming eventual champions.

OK here's a question for you,your daughter is around #50 ranked,when she plays the next 3 or 4 designated tournaments,she find a top ten ranked girl and gets killed everytime... now she trying to impress her prospective coaches who are tracking her and all they see is a 6-0,6-1 score for a first or second round lost... now she goes into the sectional(where there's block seeding)and gets another bad draw.. so now her year is screwed because of bad luck.. with block seeding that kind of scenario will not happen...'bad luck' draw of meeting a high seed will not come into play..

papatenis
09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
OK here's a question for you,your daughter is around #50 ranked,when she plays the next 3 or 4 designated tournaments,she find a top ten ranked girl and gets killed everytime... now she trying to impress her prospective coaches who are tracking her and all they see is a 6-0,6-1 score for a first or second round lost... now she goes into the sectional(where there's block seeding)and gets another bad draw.. so now her year is screwed because of bad luck.. with block seeding that kind of scenario will not happen...'bad luck' draw of meeting a high seed will not come into play..

I think that the reason for block seeding in designated tournaments was to help the top juniors from having to play too many matches, since they play so much. (Designated are required for endorsement into super nat'l)
Usually girls ranked 10-100, have competitive matches, due to the deepness of socal. These girls can beat each other on any given day.
When you say "prospective coaches" I'm assuming you mean college coaches. If you go to any national tournaments, even socal sectionals, you see many college coaches scouting for players. They come because they need to see what kind of game a prospective player has.
My daughter's first year in the 14's, (before block seeding) almost every designated she had to play a seeded player. Of course she lost every time, but it was not discouraging for her, but made her work harder on her game.
Her next year, she became the seeded play.

SoCal10s
09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I think that the reason for block seeding in designated tournaments was to help the top juniors from having to play too many matches, since they play so much. (Designated are required for endorsement into super nat'l)
Usually girls ranked 10-100, have competitive matches, due to the deepness of socal. These girls can beat each other on any given day.
When you say "prospective coaches" I'm assuming you mean college coaches. If you go to any national tournaments, even socal sectionals, you see many college coaches scouting for players. They come because they need to see what kind of game a prospective player has.
My daughter's first year in the 14's, (before block seeding) almost every designated she had to play a seeded player. Of course she lost every time, but it was not discouraging for her, but made her work harder on her game.
Her next year, she became the seeded play.

they've only tried 'block seeding' for 1 year(last year)... and I'm pretty sure they did not intend to protect any players from playing too much,those high rank kids who go to academies, play 6 hours a day already so a few more 6-0 6-0 matches aren't going effect them at all..

SoCal players varied a lot ,there's no way a 100 ranked player is going to beat a top 10 .. usually the top 1-5 or so are the elite but now in the the 18s it's like any top 20 can knock out each other on a given day... but the 16,14,and 12s.,, no way that a 20-30 rank is going beat a top 5.. and no way that a 50-100 is going beat a top 10-20 ... if so, this is very very rare...

it's like you're saying that a top 100 player has no chance to play and win against a top 10 player because SCTA is protecting them using 'block seeding' ... that's just not true.. if your player wins all the matches during the 1st weekend,she now gets a seeded or placed player for the 2nd weekend match.. and then you work your way up the ranks...