PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Aerogel 100 v Aerogel 200 (16 x 19)

rossi46
09-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Anybody tried these 2 racquets ? How do they compare swingweight wise ? Are they essentially as spin friendly as they should be given the 16 x 19 string pattern ? Also, are they both as comfortable as the flex specifications indicate ?

diehard6.0
09-01-2009, 03:37 AM
I have both.

In stock form, AG200's swingweight is a little higher.
AG100 is definately more spin-friendly.
Both feel firm and are pretty comfortable - I have felt no arm pain using these.

rossi46
09-01-2009, 04:37 AM
thanks Diehard6.0, can't buy either of these in Australia, noticed you can purchase both in the US, the only one on offer here is the AG200 18 x 20, which feels somewhat heavy and having a tighter string pattern I take it it wouldn't be as spin friendly as the 200 16 x 19. I am leaning towards ordering the 200 as opposed to the 100, not sure I will be comfortable with that small a head size as I am currently using a 98

jonaron
09-01-2009, 04:49 AM
I have played the ag200 16 x 19 and the 18 x 20, but not the 100, though I cant wait to try.
The ag200 16 swings and feels noticeably lighter than the 18. The 18 hits a heavier ball and feels more solid. I currently play the 16 version, since the weight is better for me and it is no slouch in the comfort department and still feels very solid, though not as much as the 18. The lower weight and swingweight of the 16 allow me to get more spin and control. I have heard, and I may agree, that the 16 x 19 offers no more spin than the 18 x 20 due to its open pattern, since the strings are spaced the same in the middle on the 16 and the 18 version. You can see that there are 8 strings through the throat on both versions, which makes for a dense middle.
If you are considering between the 16 and 18 ag200, i would make the decision based on weight, rather than string pattern. I consider the 16 to be a more manageable and maneuvarable racquet, while the 18 is just a hair too slow for me.

Too bad about the sloppy, sloshy grips that come on these things. I am going t try a light leather grip on mine.

jonaron
09-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Shipping to Australia is not too bad via USPS, a bit under $30....... What does TW US Charge?

rossi46
09-01-2009, 05:10 AM
thanks jonaron, TW charge about $40. I guess I can always have it strung with a thinner string if there are any issues with spin

jonaron
09-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Regarding comfort, I have been playing with Volkls, which are meant to be comfortable, and I generally like comfort racquets, and I would say that the 200s are as comfy or more than anything else out there.

rossi46
09-01-2009, 05:54 AM
good to hear, you mentioned sloshy grips, that bad hey ? yeah the leather alternative sounds good, would you happen to know which brand of leather grip retains the feel of the bevels best or would they more or less be all the same ??

Bigtime
09-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Many replies in other threads contain praise for the private labeled TW leathers, which come in varied thicknesses. It seems most like the thinner ones. I just replaced a stock Wilson leather that was separating on my KBT with the TW. It seems the quality is very good so far. I am very pleased with the price-to-value ratio of these grips.
Will be changing out the stock grip for the TW on my AG100 this week.:)

diehard6.0
09-01-2009, 07:37 AM
I have heard, and I may agree, that the 16 x 19 offers no more spin than the 18 x 20 due to its open pattern, since the strings are spaced the same in the middle on the 16 and the 18 version.

AG200 16 x 19 has greater spin potential than AG 200 18 x 20.

mauricem
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
thanks I am leaning towards ordering the 200 as opposed to the 100, not sure I will be comfortable with that small a head size as I am currently using a 98
I'm going from a 98" nblade98 to the ag100 without too many problems. Can definitely hit out more with the ag100 but I found it next to unusable at stock weight

thanks jonaron, TW charge about $40.

Yeah Im in Aus too, pity about the poor selection at high prices, I usually order 3 or more racquets as it doesnt up the overall shipping price much. Sale shoes are also good to add to the order.

Ive done this a few times now, the theory was Id demo them and onsell what I didnt like but instead Ive ended up with more sticks in the garage than the local pro shop has:?

naylor
09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
... and all Dunlop stuff in NZ comes from Australia, so if you can't get either AG100 or AG200 in Australia, it means they must be out of stock. Anyhow, I bought my other 3 AG100s from TW.

Also, shipping several rackets to Australia won't be too expensive, and the further advantage you have in Australia is that you pay no customs duty on imports under A$1k - here in NZ the limit is only NZ$300, so either I buy rackets in ones, or I have to pay an extra 12.5% tax on arrival. Still, with the US$ again so low against the kiwi, buying from TW and shipping over still works cheap.

I never tried the AG200, but I play the AG100.

My original rackets were n90s, which I really enjoyed playing with. But I did not like the k90s as much - very good for hitting with, but because of the high swingweight (it actually went up from the n to the k) in matches I was regularly late on the forehand. So, I switched to Prestige Mids - which on paper have similar weight / swingweight / balance characteristics to the n90s, but I found a lot more muted than the n90s, with much less feel for the ball in the stringbed. So, I tried Redondos (slightly lighter, lower swingweight), and then the AG100s (fractionally less weight, lower swingweight again).

The AG100 suits my game. I play S&V singles, and lots of doubles, so I need an accurate stick for serving, low swingweight for quick volleying, and an open 16x19 frame that will help add extra spin on sliced backhand approaches and on deep forehand returns - and the AG100 does that perfectly.

By the same token, those characteristics make it less than ideal for matches spent mostly rallying side-to-side from the baseline. For that kind of game, the extra mass and swingweight of the AG200 will help put more weight on the ball, as compared with the relatively lighter ball coming out of the AG100.

I have changed all the AG100 grips to leather grips with a thin overgrip on top. On two rackets, I used spare grips from discarded n90 frames, on the third I used TW's thinnner + narrower leather replacement grips, which I've found extremely good. The only other customisation I've done is to shave the sidepallets and put some lead under the grip (above the hand) of two of the rackets, which has brought all three to the same weight / swingweight / head-light balance - but with the two tweaked frames now having a grip size closer to a 1/4 (the unmodified racket is a 3/8 ) as I wanted to experiment with a slightly smaller grip size.

I have not added any lead on the hoops, as I like the AG100s as they are for my S&V game - I suspect if I were to add 10g. at 3-9 I'd transform my AG100s into AG200s (apart from the slightly smaller head).

The question is, where are you going to get AG200s? TW still carries the old AG100, but their AG200 is the new D, in 18x20 pattern.

coyfish
09-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I didn't feel that the ag 100 was "comfortable." It was a very hard racket imo. Very predictable response but felt a lot stiffer than advertised. Nice control and weight but you really have to smack the ball to get it over. Definately difficult to block shots back with this. I was returning 100ish mph 1st serves and dumping them in the net by taking short swings. I had to take a full swing to get it over. Granted due to the low power and good spin the ball flew in but its hard to get used to. My 1H BH loved it. I could smash it as high / hard as I wanted and it seemed like it would always drop in. Amazing for volleys / serves though.