PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned?

ANG
09-01-2009, 09:28 AM
So I ordered a K Blade 98 from TW and it arrived today. Should I be concerned that the strings are not straight? Since its my first time playing with the kBlade 98, I had it strung near the middle of its tension range at 56# with Wilson NXT Tour 17. Did I do something stupid in spec'ing the string job, is this common or should I be worried?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/anotherguyLF/IMG_0300.jpg

bsandy
09-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Generaly strings are strightened after stringing.

What I see here is no big deal.

But . . . I thought TW would use an ATW pattern rather than stringing the crosses throat to head.

. . . Bud

Rabbit
09-01-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree that there is no big deal here, it's free stringing after all. :)

I will take issue with a couple of other points though.

String should be straight when tension is applied. Straightening afterwards, tension is lost and results are inconsistent. I always, on the crosses, pull tension, straighten, and then pull tension again for this very reason.

How would one tell from this photo if TW did an ATW or bottom to top?

Irvin
09-01-2009, 09:42 AM
So I ordered a K Blade 98 from TW and it arrived today. Should I be concerned that the strings are not straight? Since its my first time playing with the kBlade 98, I had it strung near the middle of its tension range at 56# with Wilson NXT Tour 17. Did I do something stupid in spec'ing the string job, is this common or should I be worried?

I would be very concerned if I were you. Those strings are really crooked. I also noticed the racket was strung upside down. Can't you see where the tails on the knots point downward instead of up?

All kidding aside looks like you are in for a lot of worrying. You had this racket strung with a soft multi string, in 17 gauge, and at mid range. If you hit with much spin at all your strings will move all over the place after a few hits. If that bothers you raise your tension or use a thicker gauge string the next time you have it strung. As for right now go out and enjoy your racket, straighten the strings between points, but don't let them bother you. While you are keeping your strings straight don't let your opponent quick serve you either.

Irvin

Irvin
09-01-2009, 09:45 AM

One can't. You would have to look at the side of the racket to see how the strings were routed.

Irvin

Irvin
09-01-2009, 09:47 AM

I stand corrected. Clamps marks at the bottom of the two outside mains and only two knots indicates it was strung throat to head. Also some of the cross strings look like they bend toward the head of the racket which leads me to believe it was strung in that direction.

BUT it is string according to Wilson's recommended pattern so what is the problem?

Irvin

Irvin
09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
I agree that there is no big deal here, it's free stringing after all. :)

Wilson NXT Tour is free at TW now? Wow I am going to have to get me some of that.

Irvin

diredesire
09-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I stand corrected. Clamps marks at the bottom of the two outside mains and only two knots indicates it was strung throat to head. Also some of the cross strings look like they bend toward the head of the racket which leads me to believe it was strung in that direction.

BUT it is string according to Wilson's recommended pattern so what is the problem?

Irvin

Nice catch, and attention to detail :)

I agree, Wilson is a mfgr that doesn't care, so no slap on the wrist here.

ANG
09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I would be very concerned if I were you. Those strings are really crooked. I also noticed the racket was strung upside down. Can't you see where the tails on the knots point downward instead of up?

All kidding aside looks like you are in for a lot of worrying. You had this racket strung with a soft multi string, in 17 gauge, and at mid range. If you hit with much spin at all your strings will move all over the place after a few hits. If that bothers you raise your tension or use a thicker gauge string the next time you have it strung. As for right now go out and enjoy your racket, straighten the strings between points, but don't let them bother you. While you are keeping your strings straight don't let your opponent quick serve you either.

Irvin

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I played with a friends k98 the other day that was set up this way(after he double checked today he had the tension higher then he thought) and really liked it. Should have stated that above instead of "first time playing with this racket." It was my first time ordering this racket and spec'ing the strings.

My biggest concern was whether or not the racket would be unpredictable to play due to the variation in string spacing. Some of the strings are difficult to straighten as they already have small notches which are resulting in the strings popping back to the original position. Lesson learned...higher tension next time.

ihearit1st
09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
You shouldn't be worried about the way the frame will play. The strings aren't very straight, but that's just a cosmetic issue. I will say however, that I see this a lot from TW. As a company that prides themselves in having 25+ MRTS on staff, work like this leads me to believe they either have a **** poor tester in the area, or one on staff that allows them to inflate their #s. Again, crooked strings aren't the end of the world, but the fact they're still stringing on ancient Neos when there are tons of better machines on the market (I hear the can of worms opening) coupled with several sub par string jobs I've seen come out of there, leads me to believe that this is an area they could improve upon.

TennisNinja
09-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Even I string better than that...

bsandy
09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Nice catch, and attention to detail :)

I agree, Wilson is a mfgr that doesn't care, so no slap on the wrist here.

I didn't say it was wrong, I'm just suprised.

wyutani
09-01-2009, 01:50 PM
go to a tennis store and string a proper one.

diredesire
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I didn't say it was wrong, I'm just suprised.

Nah, no problem, I read your post the right way ;)

I would hesitate to string ATW on a NEOS, those glide bars can be a hassle to switch around.

TennisandMusic
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I've had ordered racquets strung from TW and it looked worse than that. It was a mess. I also played with this string job, cut it out immediately and the strings had NO tension left in them. They obviously did a really bad job. I'm not sure why they ship racquets out like this, other than they think their customers in general do not know better. I find this an unacceptable way to do things. I don't think it's a reason to worry, but it doesn't reflect well on TW.

fed_the_savior
09-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I also noticed the racket was strung upside down. Can't you see where the tails on the knots point downward instead of up?

hilarious :lol:

Irvin
09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
hilarious :lol:

lol I didn't think anyone noticed that one.

Irvin

honz
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
lol I didn't think anyone noticed that one.

Irvin

No, I also noticed that the racquet was strung upside down. Unacceptable from an established company like TW.

ANG
09-01-2009, 07:21 PM
After emailing the pic to toe fine folks at TW, I recieved a call from Bob in Customer Service within an hour and they are sending me replacement strings and offered to cover the cost of restringing (which I declined). Needless to say, their responsiveness to the issue has definitely impressed me! Rare to find companies that actually care if their customers are happy any more.