PDA

View Full Version : More confirmation: RIP POG OS

Rhinosaur
09-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Ordered one from TW and got it last week (hits great) amid reports on these boards that Prince was discontinuing the POG OS.

I went outside the TW family (sorry) to look for another. After placing an order at another store over the weekend, here's the email I got this morning:

The Graphite Classic OS is out of production now and we can no longer order it from Prince.

Truly sad, but I'm so glad I picked one up new.

mrw
09-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Time for T/W to buy the molds and do a production run like they did for the Donnay Pro One

carolyn73
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Time for T/W to buy the molds and do a production run like they did for the Donnay Pro One

Or time for Avery to drop their prices and see if they can entice all the old POG OS users.

MichaelChang
09-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Oops, it is not even available on TW site now. GONE!

GS
09-01-2009, 05:19 PM
That dumb TW competitor back East is even closing out their Prince Graphite Midplus sticks! Is Prince closing down all their POGs? If so, end of an era. Pretty sad stuff. (I gotta buy some Longbodies while TW still has some of THOSE.)

kkm
09-02-2009, 06:26 AM
What's the word - is it(big surprise) that Prince wants people to migrate to the exo3 grapite 93/mid, which is priced at $199, instead of the graphite classic 93/mid, which is priced at $119?

MichaelChang
09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
The Prince website still have the POG listed in their catelog.

Rhinosaur
09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
What's the word - is it(big surprise) that Prince wants people to migrate to the exo3 grapite 93/mid, which is priced at $199, instead of the graphite classic 93/mid, which is priced at $119?

It's not a surprise...it's just been a day that POG users have been afraid of for a very long time. It's finally here, and we are bummed.

ollinger
09-02-2009, 09:00 AM
kkm
You've put the cart before the horse. The classic mid is priced so low precisely because almost nobody wants it anymore. Remember supply and demand?

kkm
09-02-2009, 09:34 AM
The Prince website still have the POG listed in their catelog.

Sometimes companies are slow to update web sites

kkm
09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
kkm
You've put the cart before the horse. The classic mid is priced so low precisely because almost nobody wants it anymore. Remember supply and demand?

It's not surprising, for a racquet that has been in production since the 1980s, not to be in high demand. But the exo3 is an attempt to resurrect that interest with some "new tehnology" and a new price tag, no? ;-)

MichaelChang
09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
So does the Exo3 Graphite Mid play better/similar to the POG Mid? I did a search and was surprised that there are hardly any comparison threads for these 2 rackets.

The_Question
09-02-2009, 10:31 AM
That dumb TW competitor back East is even closing out their Prince Graphite Midplus sticks! Is Prince closing down all their POGs? If so, end of an era. Pretty sad stuff. (I gotta buy some Longbodies while TW still has some of THOSE.)

I just called them. They've 18 of the OS in size 4 left. 18!!! What the heck?

It's a little large for me, but I probably will stop by there after work and pick one up... :?

kkm
09-02-2009, 11:35 AM
So does the Exo3 Graphite Mid play better/similar to the POG Mid? I did a search and was surprised that there are hardly any comparison threads for these 2 rackets.

You're right, there don't seem to be many comparisons, but as far as the exo3 graphite 93 mid I remember reading in a tennis magazine that it has a more dampened feel vs that of the graphite classic mid.

AndrewD
09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
You're right, there don't seem to be many comparisons, but as far as the exo3 graphite 93 mid I remember reading in a tennis magazine that it has a more dampened feel vs that of the graphite classic mid.

The feel is more dampened. HOWEVER, it sure as hell doesn't feel $80 better (one reason why Prince are getting rid of the POG - it provides too much competition for their 'top' racquets and who's going to pay $200 when you can get equal or better performance for $120).

kkm
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
The feel is more dampened. HOWEVER, it sure as hell doesn't feel $80 better (one reason why Prince are getting rid of the POG - it provides too much competition for their 'top' racquets and who's going to pay $200 when you can get equal or better performance for $120).

in total agreement, as one who doesn't like a dampened feel

MichaelChang
09-02-2009, 05:37 PM
thanks kkm and AndrewD.

It was indeed sad that POG is being discontinued. If you think about it, POG is probably the best selling racket ever. Given its super long sales history. Begining from the 1976 with the first generation POG Oversize till now 2009. It sure oversell the Wilson Prostaff 6.0.

no1
09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Is TW planning on continuing to carry the POG Mid?

MichaelChang
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Is TW planning on continuing to carry the POG Mid?

No. End of an era.:oops::oops::oops:

At this time the Prince Original Graphite is no longer available. We are working on getting that decision changed as there continues to be many fans of both headsizes.

Chris, TW