PDA

View Full Version : Questions about racquet length

Bad Seed
09-01-2009, 11:27 AM
So I think I'm going to pick up a PD Roddick GT. What I'm trying to decide, though, is whether to get the GT or the GT+. I've never played with a + before, and I have some questions:

Besides just getting used to the extra length, are there any disadvantages to + versions? I can't think of any. I'm vertically challenged (5'6) so the idea of getting a little extra leverage on my serve sounds appealing. But I'm wondering if there are trade-offs I need to be aware of.

Your thoughts? I'd especially like to hear from folks who have recently gone from regular length to +, or vice-versa. Thanks!

furyoku_tennis
09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
the extra length will help in terms of groundstrokes and serve, but the higher swingweight usually makes it harder to maneuver at net. this of course depends on the player, as some people can move a high swingweight rather easily. it's best to demo the two and see for yourself.

Steve Huff
09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
A longer racket is going to be harder on your arm too. Power is gained by having the hitting area further from your hand (the fulcrum if you consider it a lever). Think of it this way--if your hand is rotating at a given speed, the further away from your hand, the faster it will have to move. But, when the ball makes contact with the racket, it applies more leverage on your arm too. That's why its harder on your arm. Advantages--more power, more spin.
Disadvantages--less control, less manueverability, less comfort.