PDA

View Full Version : Considering changing stringing combination... your thoughts?

Kick Serve 14
09-01-2009, 05:23 PM
So, i am thinking about changing my string combination because i run through it like crazy, and since i don't want to buy a reel of luxilon, it simply isn't worth it. Im cheap, and because of this i have been looking at inexpensive reels on tennis warehouse. I have had an idea about a combo i wanted to use but i wanted to know your thoughts. My ideas were to use Gosen polyon ice 16 in either the mains or the corsses, it doesn't matter to me which, (suggestions?) and topspin cyber flash 16, and i wouold put the tension around 54... so any thoughts?

Irvin
09-01-2009, 05:34 PM
So, i am thinking about changing my string combination because i run through it like crazy, and since i don't want to buy a reel of luxilon, it simply isn't worth it. Im cheap, and because of this i have been looking at inexpensive reels on tennis warehouse. I have had an idea about a combo i wanted to use but i wanted to know your thoughts. My ideas were to use Gosen polyon ice 16 in either the mains or the corsses, it doesn't matter to me which, (suggestions?) and topspin cyber flash 16, and i wouold put the tension around 54... so any thoughts?

Start with the poly in the mains and your old string in the crosses. For most players putting the poly in the mains makes the most sense. You don't have to buy a reel buy a set of a few different polys you think you will like.

Irvin

Kick Serve 14
09-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Start with the poly in the mains and your old string in the crosses. For most players putting the poly in the mains makes the most sense. You don't have to buy a reel buy a set of a few different polys you think you will like.

Irvin

Well, i was thinking aboiut these two, because they are both inexpensive, and if i don't like them it's no big deal.

Kick Serve 14
09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
any other thoughts? bump...

Irvin
09-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Well, i was thinking aboiut these two, because they are both inexpensive, and if i don't like them it's no big deal.

Assuming that you are going to put one in the mains and one in the crosses let me ask a question. What if you don't like the combination which string do you think it would be you didn't like the one in the main or the one in the crosses. The less you chance the more you will be able to tell what you like or do not like.

If you use your old string in the crosses and one of the new ones in the mains and you like it you know instantly what it is you do like.

Irvin.

Kick Serve 14
09-02-2009, 01:02 PM
well, i figure that i can do that with the rip control, or since the poly is so cheap, i can do a full poly, or hybrid those, and if they don;t work, its no bigf deal, cuz i can use it later.

Kick Serve 14
09-02-2009, 01:39 PM
So can anyone who has ever played with these strings, or one comprable to it, (that cost less than 100 for a reel) give me any thoughts on what to hybrid them with or tensions that work well,
f.y.i. i was also looking at boris becker b-xplosive and isospeed baseline...

Kevo
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Head Rip Control makes a wonderful cross for a good poly. I absolutely loved it with Lux Ace. I felt like I couldn't miss. Of course Rip Control can not hold up to a poly. The poly shreds it in short order.

I like the Rip Control by itself pretty good and it lasts longer. If you want a good hybrid, you need to start with a poly you really like. Then try a cheap syn gut for the cross.

Right now I am using Competition in the mains and Wilson Super Spin in the cross, but I think Cyber Blue is a great poly as well and cheaper. It doesn't last as long as Competition for me, but I would not hesitate to use it if I was out of Competition. It's a very good poly.

Kick Serve 14
09-03-2009, 05:27 PM
The thing is rip control is too soft, io shred it, i'm now considering monoblat and polyon ice, but i'll have to play test them first