PDA

View Full Version : Tennis season is ending soon. What to do with strings?

Jinx
09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
There's probably only 1 month left to play tennis out doors where I live, and I don't plan on playing tennis during the off season.

What would be the consequences for leaving the strings in the stick for approximately 6 months? Would I be better off just cutting the strings out?

If it matters, I have sonic pro 17g strung at 57 lbs in my Youtek Radical MP.

Thanks

iwanttowin
09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't cut the string out, just leave it over the winter and get it re strung when you start to play again.

Jinx
09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking about cutting it and then restring them next year.

jim e
09-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm thinking about cutting it and then restring them next year.

May I ask why? You may be surprised and find a time and place to hit during your off season, maybe even only once, and find yourself with a racquet without strings. No harm in leaving the strings in your racquet unless they are broken.Cut them out when you next restring.

schenkelini
09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I live in SoCal, there is no off season.

Jinx
09-01-2009, 10:00 PM
just mainly wondering if it would deform the frame.

ClubHoUno
09-02-2009, 03:47 AM
just mainly wondering if it would deform the frame.

You only deform a frame from letting it rest in your bag or closet with a set of broken strings. A frame will not suffer at all from just resting in your bag during the off season with a set of dead strings in the stringbed. YOU SHOULD ONLY WORRY IF YOU HAVE A BROKEN STRING IN YOUR STRINGBED. This can harm the frame and may even deform it, not just just a dead non broken set of strings.

So be cool and calm. You may find yourself tempted to play indoor at some point during the off season, and then you'll be happy you still have your racquet, even though the strings in it area dead, but NOT BROKEN :D

mikeler
09-02-2009, 05:15 AM
I live in SoCal, there is no off season.

I'm looking forward to not sweating like crazy in another month.

masterxfob
09-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm looking forward to not sweating like crazy in another month.

man, the 100+ degree weather is already killer in socal right now. i can't imagine the 100+ degree weather and high humidity in florida.

Jinx
09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
okay thanks.

mikeler
09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
man, the 100+ degree weather is already killer in socal right now. i can't imagine the 100+ degree weather and high humidity in florida.

Well, the all time record high in Orlando is 100 degrees. A normal hot day is mid 90s. I think the average day high is low 90s.

masterxfob
09-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Well, the all time record high in Orlando is 100 degrees. A normal hot day is mid 90s. I think the average day high is low 90s.

wasn't as bad as i thought, but i'm sure the humidity more than makes up for it.

mikeler
09-02-2009, 04:21 PM
wasn't as bad as i thought, but i'm sure the humidity more than makes up for it.

You mean when you start sweating within 30 seconds of leaving a building? Yeah, our 4 to 5 month summer is brutal.

Classic_Obsession
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
You mean when you start sweating within 30 seconds of leaving a building? Yeah, our 4 to 5 month summer is brutal.

Don't you get used to it?

NickH87
09-02-2009, 09:52 PM
I am going to miss tennis for a few months. Damn northeast...I am thinking about paying for an indoor club...its like $70/month...expensive though.

masterxfob
09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I am going to miss tennis for a few months. Damn northeast...I am thinking about paying for an indoor club...its like $70/month...expensive though.

i think i'd go nuts if i couldn't play tennis in the off season. thankfully i live where the weather is almost always perfect all year round. though, if i didn't, i'd definitely pay $70/month to play indoors.

mikeler
09-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Don't you get used to it?

You get used to taking 2 showers a day :)

In all seriousness, the first couple of matches when the heat comes back are very difficult to get through. After that, your body adjusts to it. Most days, it gets very cloudy in the afternoon and the seabreeze storms fire up to cool things down.

xHBvi3tbOix
09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
the heat in socal is killing me? how do you guys cope?

2handsbothsides
09-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I currently live in Houston and being older the only answer to really enjoy tennis is to play indoors from about mid May through Sept. When I lived in New England you had no choice but to play indoors starting mid Oct through mid April due to the cold.

mikeler
09-04-2009, 11:10 AM

I was in Napa years ago in June. It was 95 every day and 55 at night. I did enjoy those cool nights and mornings. We are lucky to get down to 75 on many summer nights. The locals said that it was a dry heat but it still felt pretty toasty.

I've also been in Pasadena in August where it was 100 every day. Again, I know it is a dry heat, but it was really hot. The humidity just makes it feel about 10 degrees warmer I think.

California has their dry season in the summer meaning no clouds all day so the sun just beats down on you. Many afternoons here it is completely cloudy like last night. It's not too bad once you block out the sun.

masterxfob
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM

grow a pair. if you have any aspirations of playing competitively, you need to acclimate yourself to the heat. you can't tell a school coach or tournament director that you only want night matches due to the heat.

the person that is willing to do what you won't, is the one that will end up beating you.

edman9898
09-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I second Master's post. We had days here in East Texas where it was 102 with 80% humidity. We had guys dropping out of tournaments left and right. Drink LOTS of fluid and you will be ok. When it was in the mid 90's it felt GREAT! LOL

mikeler
09-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I second Master's post. We had days here in East Texas where it was 102 with 80% humidity. We had guys dropping out of tournaments left and right. Drink LOTS of fluid and you will be ok. When it was in the mid 90's it felt GREAT! LOL

Texas is brutal in the summer.