PDA

View Full Version : Prince Diablo Mid Woes

philbhp
09-02-2009, 05:24 AM
I've been hitting recently with a diablo mid and let me tell you, this stick is STIFF! I'm curious to hear from you seasoned diablo users out there if you had the same first impressions? It feels like I'm hitting with a frying pan--a lot of vibration, racquet feels "hollow", frame doesn't feel flexy at all.

Some background, I'm a 4.5-5.0 college player. I usually hit with the RDS 001 mid which feels soft as butter compared to the diablo even though though it is only one point less stiff than the diablo according to TW. On both the RDS and the diablo I strung with a ALU power/Prince synthetic gut original hybrid at 62 lbs. I suspect the tension may be a little high for the diablo, which is weird because it felt a little low for the RDS.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated, thanks!

eagle
09-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with the Diablo mid.

I've been using this for several years and love it. Knowing that this racquet is stiffer than my previous Volkl racquet which I strung with a poly/syn hybrid, I steered clear from poly ... even hybrid. I use strictly synthetic. I also string it at the lower end of its range at 53 lbs.

Other than that, I don't know what else you can do to make it softer.

I personally don't think it is stiff. Perhaps I'm just used to it. But I love its heft, control, and spin. :) And although it has a small head, the sweet spot seems bigger. Feels and sounds good when you hit it.

Give it a 2nd chance. Hopefully, you'll find a way to adapt to it and make it your weapon of choice. If not, then get on board the "what racquet should I get" bandwagon. :)

r,
eagle

tennisntn3477
09-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with the Diablo mid.

I've been using this for several years and love it. Knowing that this racquet is stiffer than my previous Volkl racquet which I strung with a poly/syn hybrid, I steered clear from poly ... even hybrid. I use strictly synthetic. I also string it at the lower end of its range at 53 lbs.

Other than that, I don't know what else you can do to make it softer.

I personally don't think it is stiff. Perhaps I'm just used to it. But I love its heft, control, and spin. :) And although it has a small head, the sweet spot seems bigger. Feels and sounds good when you hit it.

Give it a 2nd chance. Hopefully, you'll find a way to adapt to it and make it your weapon of choice. If not, then get on board the "what racquet should I get" bandwagon. :)

r,
eagle

Second what eagle is saying - much lower tension seems to work best in the Diablo, I've got Prince Topspin in mine at 53 and nice, solid, easy on the arm response.

sunnyIce
09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
yes, its a very stiff racq. started giving me shoulder and arm pains. nice racq but gave it up. kinda similar to k90 also, but i'm able to play with k90 at lower tensions and have a lot of things work for me. diablo was missing something.

Alec78
09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Agreed. I have one that I initially strung with Prince SG at 58 lbs, found it too boardy, and had it re-strung at 53. Now it plays beautifully, not quite as smooth and solid as my POG Mid, but with a little more pop as the tradeoff. (Since it's a composite frame, that buttery POG feel is out of reach, I think.)

furyoku_tennis
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
62lbs is way too high IMO. The diablo definitely plays better at the lower tension range. I have mine strung with synthetic gut mains and forten nylon crosses at 53lbs and it actually feels soft.

Stout1
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
I agree with the above posts. I've been playing with the Diablo for about a year and have been using an all Poly set-up at around 55lbs and don't think I would want to go above that.

philbhp
09-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Thank you for all the responses--i suspected in part that the high tensions + poly hybrid was the culprit. I stepped on the stringbed a few times and since I've been hitting more the strings have loosened and the stick definitely feels better. I also think a dampner helps a lot with this stick which kinda blows because I never really liked using them since I like the raw undampened feel of racquets. BUT, on the diablo it definitely helps reduce some of the harsh twangs from offcenter hits. Thanks again!

Bubba
09-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Discussion right up my alley these days... I'm back on the Diablo Mid... great frame. I like it better than the Wilson 90's and the RDiS 100 (93).

I've been trying to find the right tension... I string a poly/synthetic hybrid and first time through it felt a bit too loose for me and the string bed had a bit too much pop... that was at about 58 or 60 lbs. This weekend, I re-strung them all at 66lbs and it felt a bit too harsh, ok off groundies and at the net, but I noticed service pace suffering. I think the right tension for me is about 62.

Also, I'm one who likes high tensions (I string my K90's at 68 full poly) so I think what you have mentioned above is right on for the Diablo... take it down a bit from what your 'normal' range would be.

I actually have 3, so I may do a little experiment at 3 different tension ranges... I never go low, but may do one up at 55 or so just to see how it plays.