PDA

View Full Version : Different grip size, different weight?

Mazilla2219
09-02-2009, 06:07 AM
I recently bought a Babolat Pure Drive Cortex racquet (4 1/4 grip). Since I never owned a PDC previously I didn't think anything about the weight until yesterday when I played a match with an opponent that also had a PDC but grip size 4 3/8. After examining and comparing both of our racquets, I physically felt that the weight of his racquet was heavier than mine. His is stock with no lead and checking the printed specs on the racquet both should have weighed the same (300g). He had the original Babolat grip plus an overgrip on his racquet while I have a Prince replacement grip with Yonex OG. He also strung it with 16g Babolat PHT while I have a hybrid of MSV hex 1.10/OG Gosen 17g. Does the grip size increase, difference in string or difference in grips change a racquets weight so much that you can physically sense one racquet is heavier than another. I am pretty sure that the racquet I bought is the real deal, had a barcode underneath the orignal babalot grip and the holagram on the correct place. Thanks for you advice.

Meaghan
09-02-2009, 06:21 AM
I think a lot of rackets can have a few gramms difference.
His strings will be heavier could be up to another 5 gramms.
Different grips could make up another 5 gramms.
That could be 15g all in all.
If it feels noticable heavier then its likely his balance is more HH than yours. Weigh them and check the balances.
I have a 320g Radical 2 pts HL and a 360g Rebel 12pts HL, the Rad feels heavier than the Reb.

Mazilla2219
09-02-2009, 06:28 AM
If it feels noticable heavier then its likely his balance is more HH than yours.

I think this is the case, his racquet did feel alot HH than mine. I can't really weigh his b/c it's a summer flex league so I don't usually see him, but I did notice that the weight on mine was more distributed near the handle. Additionally, if I held both racquets from the handle his > mine in weight but if I held both that the throat his = mine. Another question, how much weight is a full job of PHT 16g?

Meaghan
09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Another question, how much weight is a full job of PHT 16g?

Im not exactly sure but I think its somewhere in the region of 20g and will be somewhat heavier than your set up.