PDA

View Full Version : A hat with an integrated sweatband?

TheAce
09-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi,

I am bald and sweat a lot... I sweat a-la Andy Roddick style and end up having sweat dripping from the hat's bill... I wouldn't wear a headband as I think the James Blake look (bald+headband) is really ridiculous.

Is there any hat out there that really stops sweat from dripping into your eyes? Is there anything with an integrated headband/sweatband?

I use Nike featherlight hats and Adidas Climalite, they are cool, look and feel great, but their sweatband doesn't really absorb sweat or stops it from dripping into your eyes...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ari.

Mazilla2219
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
You could try the Halo Hat:
http://store.haloheadband.com/SPORT_HATS_s/22.htm

or you could try this with a normal hat:
http://www.sweatgutr.com/sports-sweatband.html

Never used the gutr or the halo hat but the Halo sweatband works well.

Wild Ace
09-02-2009, 09:07 AM
You may want to consider wearing a Buff too.

http://www.buff.es/en/catalog_headwear.php?t=1

The_Question
09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
What about a girlie visor? I think Roddick wear one of those in his early days...

BillyGillispie
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
talk to james blake

Shaolin
09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Hat/do rag combo.

http://www.mtvblogs.co.uk/files/images/50-Cent-am02.jpg

Rhinosaur
09-02-2009, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't wear a headband as I think the James Blake look (bald+headband) is really ridiculous.

Thanks for calling me ridiculous.

I sweat more than any human on this planet. No cap is going to contain the sweat from a heavy sweater.

If you have a small enough head, you can just wear a cap over a headband.

MAX PLY
09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Same issues here. Tried the Halo hat and it was just ok--it basically rechannels some of the sweat somewhere else--better but not amazingly so, particularly at the cost. I have found that I just bring a few hats to the court and change hats just like I change sweat bands. I primarily use Dri-Fit (like the featherlite) or similar hats which dry pretty quickly when off my sweaty skull and wash up just fine. Agree with you the the JB-look--only guy that ever looked ok on was Curly Neal of the Globtrotters. Could be worse--at least Blake doen't wear a visor! Good luck.

Rhinosaur
09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Agree with you the the JB-look--only guy that ever looked ok on was Curley Neal of the Globtrotters.

sigh........

MAX PLY
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Sorry about that. I am reminded of the telling words of Al Czervik (Caddyshack): "You buy a hat like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup. Oh, it looks good on you though." :)

imajica77
09-03-2009, 09:00 PM
another brand to consider is headsweats as it does have the sweat band incorporated into it.

TheAce
09-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Thank you all for your recommendations!

I wear a buff when I am surfing or playing beach volley but on the tennis court it just doesn't look right... and the rapper look wearing a buff under the hat... dunno..

Following imajica77's recommendation I found here in Israel the "HeadSweats" brand. Went out and bought a hat. This one:

http://www.headsweats.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=50&idproduct=74

Paid 27$ here in Israel.

The hat looks cool, fits perfectly and it does have some sort of a sweatband incorporated. Doesn't look extremely thick or absorbent but who knows... If a company calls itself HEADSWEATS and all they do is manufacture hats, they must be doing something right.

I'll be using it this Friday for 3 hours on the court in full summer sun with 65% humidity... if you'd like me to post my impression after using it let me know...

Thank you all!

Wild Ace
09-08-2009, 01:56 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1066/1287917391_c9a2ca870a.jpg

He sure makes it look oh-la-la chic on the courts.... those crazy frenchies. I started switching from hats/visors to buffs cos i got a thing about the visor blocking my view for some reason.

Sure, give us a review of your Race Hat!

logicflawed
09-08-2009, 11:35 PM
the Lacoste hats Roddick used to wear with the logo on the side have a terrycloth band around the head, very comfortable and does well with sweat... only downside being that the entire hat is cotton and gets a little heavy after a couple of hours.

Il Mostro
09-08-2009, 11:45 PM
The ST hats with the stripes (sorry, forgot the model name) have a full-on head/sweat band inside. They are no longer on TW but can be had elsewhere. All my other hats drip at the brim. These really absorb perspiration at the band.

TheAce
09-09-2009, 12:13 AM
The ST hats with the stripes (sorry, forgot the model name) have a full-on head/sweat band inside. They are no longer on TW but can be had elsewhere. All my other hats drip at the brim. These really absorb perspiration at the band.

Searched for ST HATS on Google and didn't find a thing... can you provide a link? Or a specific brand name?

SuperFly
09-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I have a New Era hat that has a sweatband in it, look at those.

Evry1hateslefties
09-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Hat/do rag combo.

http://www.mtvblogs.co.uk/files/images/50-Cent-am02.jpg

awesome. im going to wear that next time out:)

Evry1hateslefties
09-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Il Mostro im diggin the signature lol

imajica77
09-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey Ace let me know what you think of the headsweats hat. I personally like mine. But everyone is different so would like to know what you think.

McPatrickClan
06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Thread resurrection- I'd love to know what everyone is using to cure this problem as I am a fair-skinned Yankee relocated to Texas.

Posture Guy
06-24-2012, 04:53 AM
I'm going to look at that Gutr thingie linked above.

I've been asking the same question as the OP and my conclusion is a hat is simply not the tool for the job. I generate a lot of sweat on my forehead and I don't care how absorbent the hat is, I can't pull the hat down low enough to catch enough sweat to work functionally as a headband. I hate the look of a headband, especially when I also want to wear a hat in these brutal texas summers. So maybe that Gutr thing will do the trick.

imajica77
06-24-2012, 07:35 PM
I use a headsweats visor...it has a an amazing built in sweat band...you might check them out

ArliHawk
06-25-2012, 03:17 AM
Thread resurrection- I'd love to know what everyone is using to cure this problem as I am a fair-skinned Yankee relocated to Texas.

Lacoste superdry hat. Great hat

Jakesteroni
06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Arrow Up hat is a great one. I just got mine and absolutely love it, picks up the sweat, keeps your head cool, it has the sweat like band inside. I've used Nike Dri Fit cap and Adidas as well, those retain heat and it drives me nuts.

Posture Guy
06-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes, I recently got an Arrow Up hat and I like it. It seems to breathe well, is comfortable and as far as hats go, it does a good job with sweat. But what I find is I don't really sweat that much above the point where a hat's band is located. It's usually lower.

Just wish sweat bands didn't look so dorky. And even when I've tried them, within a set they are completely soaked and useless. Would have to go through 3-4 in a 3 set match.

FlameYo
06-28-2012, 01:23 PM
H
Is there any hat out there that really stops sweat from dripping into your eyes? Is there anything with an integrated headband/sweatband?

I use Nike featherlight hats and Adidas Climalite, they are cool, look and feel great, but their sweatband doesn't really absorb sweat or stops it from dripping into your eyes...

A $1-5 poly. bandanas wrapped into a headband with a poly. tennis cap covering it will work well. When the bandanas get too wet, switch it for another dry one.