PDA

View Full Version : This 'search engine is a complete joke.

GoSurfBoy
09-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Why would you, in a world of 'codes' for frames, make a search engine that, rather than look for the ENTIRE STRING, only returns error codes like:

Search: "Dunlop Aerogel 500 Tour vs 4D 500 tour"

All it focused on was the 'vs', then the '4D', etc., saying:" The search term you specified (vs) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer". ????????

Why would you (TT) set up something like this? I'm sorry, I'm a web creator, I'm new here, and completely baffled by some of the policies, heavy-handed moderation, search functions, etc.

I'll probably be deleted, not approved, or banned for even asking.

Serve_Ace
09-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Wrong section, post in TW questions/comments section

Zielmann
09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I just searched that exact thing, and got this thread as the only result (no errors for terms being too short). Wanna know why?

I put quotes around the whole phrase when searching. This makes the search engine treat it as an entire string. I'm surprised that a web creator didn't think to do that. It's a common thing with all search engines...

GinoGinelli
09-02-2009, 09:24 AM
search through google...

AndreFan
09-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree. TW's search engine system is terrible.

gslefeb
09-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Searching is based on keywords...therefore every word is checked. Unless you use " " and the word OR

"4d 500 tour" or "500 tour"

500 tour

"4d 500 tour"

The first example searches for specific phases with an OR.

The second one searches for both 500 and tour

The last one searches for the complete phrase "4d 500 tour"

Nuke
09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
GoSurfBoy, the TalkTennis board is run on a commercially available BBS package called vBulletin, which is used by lots of other forums. Look at the bottom of the screen. The search engine isn't some crummy program whipped up by one of the stock boys at TW that they can easily change, so you're probably complaining to the wrong people.

canadave
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
GoSurfBoy, also might want to google "flies honey vinegar" and see what comes up.

eagle
09-03-2009, 06:04 AM
GoSurfBoy, the TalkTennis board is run on a commercially available BBS package called vBulletin, which is used by lots of other forums. Look at the bottom of the screen. The search engine isn't some crummy program whipped up by one of the stock boys at TW that they can easily change, so you're probably complaining to the wrong people.

Agree.

If you are real webmaster, you'd know this already.

r,
eagle