PDA

View Full Version : What makes arm more tiring: heavy (un)strung weight or heavy swing weight?

New Daddy
09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
The conventional wisdom says "you should use the heaviest racket you can handle without hurting yourself."

So, what makes arm more tiring: a racket with a heavy (un)strung weight or one with a heavy swing weight?
In other words, what is a better indicator of the fatigue your arm will be subject to?

Rexking
09-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Very good question!

Swingweight is the main determinant on the power level of your shots, more than static weight. But from experience, static weight plays a bigger role on how easily the arm gets tired, more than swingweight.

But this is just my opinion, I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

tennisnoob2
09-02-2009, 09:04 AM
^^i second that. it feels heavier/you get tired quicker if tis head heavy from my experience

Zielmann
09-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Both are true. You can't just say 'you should use the highest swingweight you can handle'. Cause that would put some lightweight/head heavy frames as equals to some heavier/head light frames. But you can't really judge based off static weight alone, either.

Way I see it, the 'heaviest racquet' part covers the static weight. I do still agree that it's good to use a heavier racquet. The 'you can handle without hurting yourself' part kinda covers the swingweight aspect, without really having to explain swingweight to people. If somebody tries three frames that are all about 12 oz but with very different balance points (and thus fairly different swingweights), they may not be comfortable using the one with the highest swingweight. But find that maybe the one with the lowest of the three works best for them.

Alec78
09-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Think of it this way - the closer to the tip any gram is located, the greater impact it will have on swingweight, and probably arm fatigue, too. They're correlated. Five grams added to the handle won't hasten fatigue as quickly as five grams added to the tip.

furyoku_tennis
09-02-2009, 12:53 PM
It's definitely a combination of the both. I don't think that tennis is a sport where you can clearly define any single factor as a leading cause for anything. Too many factors and too many personal preferences.

However, I would say that a heavy static weight combined with heavy swingweight would tire your arm out the most.

sureshs
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Very good question!

Swingweight is the main determinant on the power level of your shots, more than static weight. But from experience, static weight plays a bigger role on how easily the arm gets tired, more than swingweight.

But this is just my opinion, I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

That is very true. A very heavy very head light racquet may have a low SW and even feel easy to swing, but not after a few games.

ronalditop
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Lets say we have two racquets, one is 360g, 320 SW, and the other is 320g, 360 SW. Which one would make you get tired the fastest?