PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Rhinosaur
09-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care for Luxilon?

Maybe I really suck at tennis and don't hit well enough to notice, but I was using ALU Spin and it was just so terrible that I had it taken out a few days later. It was horrible on my arm, had little feel and didn't generate near the amount of spin I was getting from other strings I've used in the past.

To each his own, I guess. I wonder how many use it just because they know a lot of pros use it? And since the strings max playability is so short, why would players who don't have seven rackets in their bag us it?

Not trying to be bitter or mean, but from what I read on these boards Luxilon is THE string. I personally can't recommend it to anybody.

davidahenry
09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Not with you, Rhinosaur. I absolutely love Alu Power Rough.

I'll admit... I tried it because so many pros use it. But I stick with it (for over a year now) because it is an outstanding string for me.

Take care.

DH

Irvin
09-02-2009, 10:19 AM

I do not like many poly string especially Lux strings. But that does not mean they are not the best thing to come along in tennis for a long time. They are just not for me.

And just because I don't like it does not mean I won't recommend it. I also hate PSGD.

Irvin

The_Question
09-02-2009, 10:21 AM
My personal preference, I can care less about Luxilon strings. I have tried BBOR, and it was terrible on my Prince Graphite II.

I do feel it is, indeed, overrated.

PimpMyGame
09-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Rhino - I have reached the conclusion in the last week that I also am no longer in the Luxilon camp.

Due to Luxilon's reputation I bought a mini reel and immediately got some arm problems due to the stiffness.

I persevered with Luxilon (mains only) and overcame the problems, for most of the time. I did however begin to feel my game suffer because I compromised my shots in order to try to get the best out of the string. The final straw was last week. I was in a local tournament and got a complete beatdown by a better player, in two straight sets. I accept he was the better player and would have won whatever, but I couldn't help feeling that I should have got closer to him. My fears were confirmed when he asked if I wanted to play another set "just for fun", so I switched rackets and my old game was coming back to me. I likened it to using a racket that's not right for you, and doing things that you shouldn't because the racket restricts your game.

So I have two full sets left which I will try to string someone's racket with, or better trade with another UK stringer for something like Black Code.

I'm not going back to Luxilon in a hurry.

Irvin
09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I called this flood to poly strings Polyitis. One kid think they will make him the next Roger Federer and tells everyone how great they are. Of course all the other kids have to have the 'in string.'

One question I keep seeing on this board every day is what is the best poly. Heck if poly string is so great what difference does it make?

Irvin

The_Question
09-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Actually, I'm very sick of all them "THE BEST" threads...

It's all personal perference...

PROTENNIS63
09-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Maybe I really suck at tennis and don't hit well enough to notice, but I was using ALU Spin and it was just so terrible that I had it taken out a few days later. It was horrible on my arm, had little feel and didn't generate near the amount of spin I was getting from other strings I've used in the past.

To each his own, I guess. I wonder how many use it just because they know a lot of pros use it? And since the strings max playability is so short, why would players who don't have seven rackets in their bag us it?

Not trying to be bitter or mean, but from what I read on these boards Luxilon is THE string. I personally can't recommend it to anybody.

Just because you dislike Luxilon does not mean you suck at tennis. Many players do not care for lux. I am a 5.5-6.0 player and do not use Lux either. It really comes down to personal preference.

masterxfob
09-02-2009, 10:45 AM
don't care for luxilon or poly in general for that matter.

coyfish
09-02-2009, 10:48 AM
OP what string do you use???

poly is for string breakers and if you come from syn gut its going to a change.

ClubHoUno
09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm always on the lookout, and bought my first Luxilon a couple of years ago. Felt it played nicely for the first 3-4-5 hours and then started to feel deas.
I dumped it, knowing that the pro players get it for free and only play with it for max 3 sets and then maybe practice next day before they cut ot out.

I started to hybrid Luxilon with X-one and other super multis and finally started to like gut hybrids with Lux. But then found Weisscanon Silverstring, Pacific Poly Force, Signum Pro Poly Plasma and again dumped Luxilon.

Now Luxilon is back again again as a cross string in my VS GUT HYBRID, bit not for long. If Luxilon comes with a new and better tension stabile co-poly or another company makes one, I'm gone again.

Currently experimenting with MSV HEX AND SIGNUM PRO HYPERION as my favorite cross co-poly string, and the Hyperion does really well so far.

Don't be afraid of experimenting out there. Luxilon probably is the best for high spin players, that can afford to change often or are sponsored.

PimpMyGame
09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
^^^^^^^^

Ordered a set of 1.18 Hex last night, looking forward to it arriving tomorrow so I can cut the Lux out and have a dabble with that.

pabletion
09-02-2009, 11:08 AM
hmmmm I just think its SOOOOOO not worth it. If I were rich (or when Im rich ;)), I'll think about it, but cost-benefit for the amateur player???? In my opinion not worth it, not even close. I can see pro players taking advantage of such a string, and seriosly noticing a significant difference between strings, but cmon................. amateurs are just kidding themselves, there wont be a significant difference, no way, I dont believe it.

Rhinosaur
09-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm currently using Gamma Asterisk Spin 16 in my two pure drives, and I've got Prince Problend w/Duraflex in my POG OS.

I used to play full gut, but as I started hitting better I began breaking strings too easily. Played around with some syns and polys and hybrids, but am currently digging the Asterisk Spin.

I will say that Lux may be just fine in a hybrid, but I'm not totally sold on the whole hybrid craze, either.

BreakPoint
09-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Welcome to the world of polys. I agree with everything you said. Polys just make no sense whatsoever to me.

Kevo
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I think poly strings are great for certain players. If you've never played with it before though, be prepared to experiment with tension. You almost never find a poly that plays best at the same tension that you would play your normal synthetic gut at.

Also, poly is great for string breakers. I also really like multis like Yonex 850 pro, but they don't last nearly long enough. I can get 20-30 hours out of full poly on my PSLs, but full multi is more like 8 hours.

I will add that ALU is good, but not a long life poly. There are lots of other polys that will last longer in terms of resilience. There are also a lot of other polys that have better feel IMO. But the thing with strings is different people will like the feel of different strings. It's a very personal thing.

Power Player
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Poly is worth it for me. They last 2 weeks, which is longer then any multi I have used. Plus I get more spin and the balls drop in the courts more often. I am a heavy topspin hitter who hits deep, so poly is great. It is the same price as a multi and usually will last me 12-18 hours of hard hitting as opposed to the usual 8-12 from a multi of the same price.

TennisandMusic
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the world of polys. I agree with everything you said. Polys just make no sense whatsoever to me.

Maybe you just don't hit very hard. If you can't tell the difference between a good poly and a good multi/syn gut (or natural gut), then your strokes aren't up to the type of string.

BreakPoint
09-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe you just don't hit very hard. If you can't tell the difference between a good poly and a good multi/syn gut (or natural gut), then your strokes aren't up to the type of string.
No, the problem is that I do hit very hard. That's why poly hurts my arm. If I hit softly, no kind of strings would hurt my arm.

And, yes, I can tell the difference between a poly and a multi from the very first hit. I find no positives at all with poly. I get more power, feel, touch, and spin with multis and syn guts. I get nothing (expect arm pain) from poly.

Kevo
09-02-2009, 10:39 PM
No, the problem is that I do hit very hard. That's why poly hurts my arm. If I hit softly, no kind of strings would hurt my arm.

And, yes, I can tell the difference between a poly and a multi from the very first hit. I find no positives at all with poly. I get more power, feel, touch, and spin with multis and syn guts. I get nothing (expect arm pain) from poly.

Some polys are almost as soft as synthetic gut. There are a few that might actually be softer than some of the harsher syn guts. You can't really lump all polys together very accurately. I've also played racquets strung too tight with syn gut that hurt my arm. I think it's all about string bed stiffness.

I think if you aren't breaking multis or syn guts in less than 20 hours of play there probably isn't a reason to try a poly. I think most people that have done their own comparisons stick with polys for the durability.

The other reason people like poly IMO is the lack of power. I hated pro hurricane the first time I tried it. I thought it had way too much pop for a poly. Spin is a wash as far as I'm concerned. I think you get similar spin from most strings if you string them so that the stiffness of the string bed is similar.

As far as feel and touch go, I really love the feel of a good multi. They just don't last. I recently tried my some of my old favorites again for the first time since I got my current frames. I was hoping the 18x20 pattern would add some life to the strings. Turns out the multis lasted even less than I remembered from back when I was playing 16x19 patterns. I'm lucky to get 10 hours of play on them.

Without polys I'd probably be playing kevlar, and that is even harder on the arm and wrist. With poly I have a huge selection of reasonably durable strings to choose from, so that's a huge plus IMO.

TennisandMusic
09-08-2009, 04:00 PM

Man if you get more spin from multis and syn guts, then no you don't hit that hard...That's just a basic truth here. If you swing hard and fast the amount of work you can put on the ball with a poly is so incredibly obvious...not sure what else to say.

Why do you think polys are so popular among people with big groundstrokes?

Power Player
09-09-2009, 06:22 AM
I get more spin with polys. There is no doubt about it. I can still get good spin w/ a multi, but with the poly, I can make shots drop in right at the last second.

My only beef is that while poly is durable, it still dies fast, so does it really last longer then a multi?

jmverdugo
09-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I have never used Luxilon, I will try it eventually, if I get it for free!. I was settled on a hybrid of Poly mains and Synth Gut on crosses (Cyber Flash & PSGD). It usually broke in a week ~a week and a half. I ran out of poly and strung my racket full Prince tournament nylon 15L, it last 1 week and 4 times cheaper!. I do not feel a significant reduction on spin production and I feel like my racket is more easy on off center shots and have more power. So for know I am sticking with full Synth Gut.

BreakPoint
09-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Man if you get more spin from multis and syn guts, then no you don't hit that hard...That's just a basic truth here. If you swing hard and fast the amount of work you can put on the ball with a poly is so incredibly obvious...not sure what else to say.

Why do you think polys are so popular among people with big groundstrokes?
Um...the more spin you put on the ball, the less hard you're hitting. You can hit the ball a lot harder when you hit flat.

Polys are popular because the pros use them and because they're durable. Also because of the super powerful racquets today, people need a low-powered string to keep the ball in the court.

Also, if you can't get as much spin with a multi or syn gut, maybe you're not swinging hard enough?

callen3615
09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Your not alone.

papatenis
09-09-2009, 05:38 PM

If money is an issue, then there are many, many other good/comparable poly's to use. I use the yonex 125 PolyTour on the mains, and yonex TourSuper 850 on the crosses. They are inexpensive, yet good strings. Though Luxion Alu is a great string, I feel they are just to expensive for me.

zeratul90
09-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I personally think lux is quite good - HOWEVER unless you make enough money to keep restringing it after the few hours it last before performance goes crap, its not worth it. I guess my arm is fairly strong enough to handle lux and other polys (no arm problems so far and string 60-62s). But for the price, there are lots of more worthwhile strings out there.

Kevo
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Um...the more spin you put on the ball, the less hard you're hitting. You can hit the ball a lot harder when you hit flat.

I think he was working under the assumption that the ball would bounce inside the court before hitting the back fence. You need a little spin for that. ;-)

BreakPoint
09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I think he was working under the assumption that the ball would bounce inside the court before hitting the back fence. You need a little spin for that. ;-)
A little spin, yes, but not massive spin. :)

Del Potro hits a lot harder than Nadal because he hits the ball flatter.

matchpoint7
06-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Nothing compares to Luxilon! You could string up ten rackets with ten different strings (1 with Luxilon BB ALU), and I could hit one ball with each racket blindfolded and tell which has the Luxilon. The string feedback and spin potential is second to none. Unless your game is suited to modern play (power and spin), you probably aren't going to find these strings attractive.

matchpoint7
06-14-2010, 09:05 PM

Polys are popular because the pros use them and because they're durable. Also because of the super powerful racquets today, people need a low-powered string to keep the ball in the court.

Also, if you can't get as much spin with a multi or syn gut, maybe you're not swinging hard enough?

Sounds like a semantics game. A blind man can see the way Luxilon/Poly has transformed the game of tennis. The fact is, you almost can't be competitive (5.0+) without them - hence 80% of the tour uses poly. With the exception of Nadal, and a few others, the pro's racquets are not powerful. In fact, just the opposite. They use very low powered rackets and compensate with weight. Aside from the obvious control, spin potential, and consistency of the rebound from the stringbed, the main advantage to Luxilon is that they maintain their tension relatively well while accomplishing these tasks. This was the main hurdle in the pre-poly days, until luxilon revolutionized the way we view polys.

SullivanR
06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm feel the same way about BB. Imo its much to stiff compared to the other poly's I prefer. Anyway, I haven't come across many people that don't like Luxilon.

alcheng
06-16-2010, 04:16 AM

You are not alone.

As far as I remember, poly used to be rated very low due to its tension loss and hard on arm character.

Not until people find out some pros hybrid it with gut, then it starts getting popular.

Personally, I don't like poly at all!! It just like playing guitar with thick gloves-- no feel.

my personal opinion on poly.
:):)

SlapShot
06-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Aside from the obvious control, spin potential, and consistency of the rebound from the stringbed, the main advantage to Luxilon is that they maintain their tension relatively well while accomplishing these tasks. This was the main hurdle in the pre-poly days, until luxilon revolutionized the way we view polys.

Luxilon is known for losing tension extremely quickly, which is why the pros have them strung fresh daily, even for practice days.

Of all of the things poly strings do well, maintaining tension isn't usually tops on that list.

matchpoint7
06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Luxilon is known for losing tension extremely quickly, which is why the pros have them strung fresh daily, even for practice days.

Of all of the things poly strings do well, maintaining tension isn't usually tops on that list.

Completely false! Amongst polys, Luxilon is the very best at maintaing tension. All pro's, even the ones that don't use poly, restring their racquets daily. I wasn't comparing the tension stability to multi-filiments, just comparing them to older polys. They are infinitely better at holding tension than say, 2 decades ago.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
06-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Completely false! Amongst polys, Luxilon is the very best at maintaing tension.

haha good one :)

SlapShot
06-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Completely false! Amongst polys, Luxilon is the very best at maintaing tension. All pro's, even the ones that don't use poly, restring their racquets daily. I wasn't comparing the tension stability to multi-filiments, just comparing them to older polys. They are infinitely better at holding tension than say, 2 decades ago.

All poly loses playability and tension quickly. It's the nature of the beast.

People don't use poly for tension stability.

kiteboard
06-16-2010, 03:35 PM
The reason most don't try vs team 17g is the price. The reason most hate polys/copolys is tension loss, (for me, 1hr.) which gut is great at, better than any other string. Vs team can be left in the mains, and the crosses cut out, when the cross goes long on you. Blackcode as cross with vs team 17g is a great feel. Just keep the mains in place and restring the crosses.

Kevo
06-16-2010, 05:08 PM
A blind man can see the way Luxilon/Poly has transformed the game of tennis. The fact is, you almost can't be competitive (5.0+) without them - hence 80% of the tour uses poly.

I think it's an evolution. The most important piece of the puzzle was going to larger frames IMO. That allows you to hit more spin on a consistent basis. I can hit pretty much the same amount of spin with a wood frame. The problem is that fatal mishits occur more often. The natural consequence of more mishits is to tone down the spin on average. With a larger frame you can spin all day long. That leads into strings designed to deal with the consequences of spin, namely durability. After that comes maximization of spin.

I don't think luxilon had anything special to do with changing the game. They just happened to be around at the right time to take advantage. I think they had a good product that happened to fit a need at the time, but I don't think anything would be different today if Lux was never around.

bad_call
06-16-2010, 05:23 PM
The reason most don't try vs team 17g is the price. The reason most hate polys/copolys is tension loss, (for me, 1hr.) which gut is great at, better than any other string. Vs team can be left in the mains, and the crosses cut out, when the cross goes long on you. Blackcode as cross with vs team 17g is a great feel. Just keep the mains in place and restring the crosses.

then they picked the wrong copolys. have more tension loss issues with multis than copolys.

matchpoint7
06-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I think it's an evolution. The most important piece of the puzzle was going to larger frames IMO. That allows you to hit more spin on a consistent basis. I can hit pretty much the same amount of spin with a wood frame. The problem is that fatal mishits occur more often. The natural consequence of more mishits is to tone down the spin on average. With a larger frame you can spin all day long. That leads into strings designed to deal with the consequences of spin, namely durability. After that comes maximization of spin.

I don't think luxilon had anything special to do with changing the game. They just happened to be around at the right time to take advantage. I think they had a good product that happened to fit a need at the time, but I don't think anything would be different today if Lux was never around.

So, if it's just a pretty good product (give you the benefit of the doubt, and say above average), that happened to be around at the right time, then why is it that 80% (rumored) of touring professionals use it? In fact, according to Luxilon, there are numerous top pros, NOT sponsored by Luxilon, who purchase their strings at retail prices. Okay, so maybe I got a little carried away with the whole tension theory, but seriously, Luxilon has something (CO-Poly) very special going that cannot be denied.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
06-16-2010, 06:25 PM
So, if it's just a pretty good product (give you the benefit of the doubt, and say above average), that happened to be around at the right time, then why is it that 80% (rumored) of touring professionals use it? In fact, according to Luxilon, there are numerous top pros, NOT sponsored by Luxilon, who purchase their strings at retail prices. Okay, so maybe I got a little carried away with the whole tension theory, but seriously, Luxilon has something (CO-Poly) very special going that cannot be denied.

they had it; now everyone's catching the RPM blast fever

ClubHoUno
06-18-2010, 12:27 AM
How on earth do you make the polyester crosses break when you have 17g natural gut in the mains?

1. I can hear you haven't played with nat gut mains and poly crosses :D
The poly in the crosses is often the string that breaks first in a nat gut - poly hybrid. VS Nat gut is a lot stronger than you think it is. Based on ignorant rumours, also in here, VS nat gut basically should break just by hitting one single top spin shot with it.... It is in fact a stronger string in a hybrid with most poly's.

2. Kiteboard cuts the poly out from the crosses, he does not necessarily break it first, he just cuts it out, when the poly does dead. The nat gut still lives in the mains, so he just strings a new poly in the crosses, while keeping the old VS nat gut in the mains.........I think he does this 2-3-4 times until the nat gut dies/breaks :)

TennisCJC
06-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I'll jump in. Lot's of pros use lux because lux pays them and it was the 1st good poly on the market. It seems most pros don't tweak their equipment unless someone pays them a lot to tweak it. Nadal was using cheap duralast poly until the recent switch to the overpriced rpm blast.

Lux makes several good strings: rough, flouro, ... but Tecnifibre (Blackcode) and Signum Pro (SP Hyperion) make similar strings for a lot less money.

I am currently playing Bab Tonic Gut 16G in the mains with SP Hyperion in the crosses. I get about 3-4 weeks playing 3-4 times per week. I string my 2nd racket with NRG2 16G in the mains and the same polys in the crosses.

If you don't like poly, don't play it. If reduces the power of a racket contrary to all the marketing hype and cool names. Nadal and Blake use all poly because they can swing like maniacs and control the ball. They don't use poly because poly speeds up the ball off of the string bed - it doesn't.

I like poly in a hybrid as it does give a touch more spin and control. I like the fact that the strings stay in place and I at least have the feeling that this helps with directional control. But, it is a little bit harsher on the arm than most nylons - there are some exceptions but not many.

kiteboard
06-18-2010, 01:20 PM
1. I can hear you haven't played with nat gut mains and poly crosses :D
The poly in the crosses is often the string that breaks first in a nat gut - poly hybrid. VS Nat gut is a lot stronger than you think it is. Based on ignorant rumours, also in here, VS nat gut basically should break just by hitting one single top spin shot with it.... It is in fact a stronger string in a hybrid with most poly's.

2. Kiteboard cuts the poly out from the crosses, he does not necessarily break it first, he just cuts it out, when the poly does dead. The nat gut still lives in the mains, so he just strings a new poly in the crosses, while keeping the old VS nat gut in the mains.........I think he does this 2-3-4 times until the nat gut dies/breaks :)

Exactly. You have to put the stick in the stringer, without cutting the crosses, stress the hoop as much as you can, lock it down, then cut out the crosses, and restring only the crosses. Vs team 17g retains almost all of its tension this way, and it's remarkable in that respect, better than any other gut or poly I've tried this technique with. I have restrung the stick 4 x this way, and it feels great each time, for a short time, as the poly goes dead fast on me, due to my hard hitting.. The cross will also retension the mains as well.....

Blade0324
06-18-2010, 02:08 PM
To the original topic of this thread I absolutely hate Luxilon string. I find that of the 5 or 6 different types of Luxilon I've tried that they all are just aweful.

To the topic most recent here, I know that are a number of people that do cut out crosses while the racquet is mounted in the stringer and re-string just the crosses but as a stringer and one working on my MRT I would never suggest doing this.
Sorry but I just don't find Nat Gut mains with any Poly to be a good hybrid. It's too powerful for my liking and the gut moves around a great deal which I cannot stand.

As a side note if Kiteboard does this as a normal practice that is just one more reason why to not by a frame from him as he is putting much unnecessary stress on his racquets.