PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone watch the Women at US Open if they were not peg to the men?

F10
09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
I know I would not watch any of the women if they were not force upon us by the TV scheduling of ESPN. The only time that I watch women's Tennis is whenever they are playing a match before the mens. Every time that that happens it seems like the their matches take forever and I just want it to end so we can see the real show.

I have nothing against women tennis but I would ever watch it was not peg with mens tennis. If you like women's tennis thats fine but don't make me watch it just because they went to three sets and are pushing the mens matches starting time.

Do any of you out there feel that way?

Sentinel
09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I feel exactly like you. But there are a couple of exceptions: Henin, Mauresmo and now Carla Navarro (basically love to see onehanders).

I think I'd like to see Sharapova, too.

edit: tbh, there are a lot of passive, baseline bashers in the Mens that i find awfully boring, too. Even in the ATP there a very limited pros i can actually watch for 3 sets without distraction.

hollywood9826
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
for some reson in Womens matches they get close and its not a matter who is going to win. But its a matter of who is going to choke less than the other opponent. Girl had match point last night and doubled, yet Ivanovic found a wy to choke more.

Womens tennis where you can DF on match point and still have your opponent choke more.

F10
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
I feel exactly like you. But there are a couple of exceptions: Henin, Mauresmo and now Carla Navarro (basically love to see onehanders).

I think I'd like to see Sharapova, too.

edit: tbh, there are a lot of passive, baseline bashers in the Mens that i find awfully boring, too. Even in the ATP there a very limited pros i can actually watch for 3 sets without distraction.

I agree with that there some exceptions. Henin and Cljsiters were to women that i would enjoy watching. By the way think god for Tennis Channel they are showing men tennis while ESPN is showing the women! (At least right now)

Lee James
09-02-2009, 09:46 AM
I loved watching women's tennis back when the likes of Martina Hingis, and Steffi Graf were playing. Even moving closer to the current era, I'd enjoyed seeing Lindsay Davenport, Capriati, Henin, Clijsters, and the Williams sisters competing. I think the problem right now is that there's just too much of a chasm between the best and the rest. There aren't enough competent competitors and or contrasting styles of play. It just seems like everyone is into the whole mindless ball bashing these days.

F10
09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
You can Oudin to the list. She is very young and just beat #4. So she is very exciting, reminds me of a mini Clijsters.

NickH87
09-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I would only watch them if it was two hot players and nothing else on tv.

Xisbum
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes, I watch women's matches, and I'm male. It's still tennis, and they can hit shots most of us only dream about.

MO, of course.

35ft6
09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
If the women grand slams were separate, they would really suffer.

F10
09-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Yes, I watch women's matches, and I'm male. It's still tennis, and they can hit shots most of us only dream about.

MO, of course.

Well if that is you argument then we could have mens challengers tournaments on TV and they would also hit "shots that we would dream about" and would be better quality than the women.

samej07
09-03-2009, 09:39 PM
idk if you guys were watching today, but the commentators on ESPN were talking about how womens tennis of today is unbelievably passive. Mary Joe said that back in the day when people like Steffi played you knew they were going to go out and go for shots and hit winners. now all of the girls out there know that all they have to do is play passively and allow the other player to completely choke and go away. Like some one said above, its has turned into a game of who can keep from choking, not who can beat their opponent. IMO thats why the womens game sucks now.

and in answering the OP, I think the womens tour would completely flop if it wasnt for being attached to the mens tour at the slams. look at the major events for them outside of the slams. I watched some of Toronto (or maybe Cinci, I cant remember exactly) this year and there were like 8-10 people in the stands at the end of the court that was in camera view, and two of the big name women were playing. that should be proof enough in itself.

ok, end of my rant. hahaha :)

BreakPoint
09-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I would watch more women's tennis if the WTA banned two-handed backhands, screaming and shrieking and loud grunting, and backing back to the baseline once you've crossed the service line. Also, a good rule would be a player can hit a maximum of only 10 groundstrokes per point. This will force the women to attack the net and finish the point off with a volley before they get to 10 groundstrokes. :shock: :)

magmasilk
09-04-2009, 05:12 AM
for some reson in Womens matches they get close and its not a matter who is going to win. But its a matter of who is going to choke less than the other opponent. Girl had match point last night and doubled, yet Ivanovic found a wy to choke more.

Womens tennis where you can DF on match point and still have your opponent choke more.

I think in wta return > serve ... Without that weapon to rely on it's tuff to hold serve. In the ATP when men feel under pressuren 2nd serve the DF follow ...

As for who I prefer to watch it's more style of play and whomever is playing on HD.

drakulie
09-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Unfortunately, I agree. Women's tennis has gotten desperately bad.

Too bad henin retired, and mauresmo who also had a beautiful game isn't in the picture anymore.

EDI Ken
09-04-2009, 05:57 AM
You know, up to this US Open, I agreed w/ all the above. Men >>>> women. But I'm burnt out watching mens tennis. It's a foregone conclusion who is going to win a match most of the time.

w/ the women, there is drama in that the outcome is in doubt way more often. I watched the Oudin/Dementieva match and was glued to it.

Sentinel
09-04-2009, 07:09 AM
I would watch more women's tennis if the WTA banned two-handed backhands, screaming and shrieking and loud grunting, and backing back to the baseline once you've crossed the service line. Also, a good rule would be a player can hit a maximum of only 10 groundstrokes per point. This will force the women to attack the net and finish the point off with a volley before they get to 10 groundstrokes. :shock: :)
Thank God you only suggested this for the WTA. There'd be no Nadal if this were enforced in the ATP :twisted:

SoCal10s
09-04-2009, 07:19 AM
the other day I watched Kim C. vs. Bartoli... very entertaining ... the UTSA web cam is pretty good on my computer ,ESPN show too many boring matches.. the Witten match was also fun to watch... Oudin ,,, boring..

BreakPoint
09-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Thank God you only suggested this for the WTA. There'd be no Nadal if this were enforced in the ATP :twisted:
I'm suggesting it for the ATP also. Nadal's knees will thank me. :)

Xisbum
09-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Well if that is you argument then we could have mens challengers tournaments on TV and they would also hit "shots that we would dream about" and would be better quality than the women.

I'm not arguing, just answering the OP question. It's strictly my opinion and I would never assume it's the only way to go.

mtommer
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't know if I would watch the women or not. Regardless, women's sports don't get a lot of recognition and if it means that women's tennis has to piggy-back on men's tennis then so be it. I see it as a chance to watch more tennis, not less. One of the best matches I've ever seen was a singles womens match a K College woman (I think it was Hope College). The two girls had absolutely no power in their game whatsoever. Most people would consider the match boring no doubt. However, they were both making the effort to run down every ball and they were really trying their hardest out there.

I think that's what made the match such a blast to watch, they were both clearly trying so hard. It was a great show of consistency and strategy. Both girls were moving each other around, trying multiple shots like drop shots, volleys, DTL etc. Each point was EARNED! In the end the K girl won and she was sooooo happy!