PDA

View Full Version : KFactor 90 vs. NCode 90

FedererClone
09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I found an older thread titled the same as this, but not much info there. Anyone else compare these sticks? I love the Ncode, happened to hit with the K95 and did not like the experience at all. I see ncode has hyper carbon in the regular graphite/kevlar mix that the k90 lacks. Could this be why it has a wonderful feel?

furyoku_tennis
09-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Not really sure, but IMO its a matter of preference. I actually like the K90 more than the N90. The N90 for some reason felt more demanding than the K90.

FedererClone
09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Thx furyoko...will demo k90, probably tomorrow when I pick up some restrung frames, side by side w/an n90. If not will try Sampras 88.

Thought this might make for some interesting comparisons in recent Wilson racquet technology; n90 hyper carbon + graph/kev vs k90 graph/kev vs KPS88 "100% [K]arophite Black" (what is that anyways?? Isn't modern technology essentially different ways of placing the reliable graphite & glass combo together in a frame since the days of old?)

Noisy Ninja
09-03-2009, 05:56 AM
I've played with both the K90 & N90. The K90 is much more manouevrable and offers better feel compared to the N90. The muted feel of the N90 was a big turn-off for me; the K90 has that old school racquet feel that I prefer.
I haven't tried the KPS88...but all reviews I've read indicated it's a beast in the manouevrability department.

FedererClone
09-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks Noisy. Care to mention any old school frame as a 'crisp' K90 comparison? This is interesting as I hit and enjoyed the N90 before selling and going 'old school' with a wad of wilson 85s from the 80s. Wonder if I will now prefer the K over the N??... Anyhow, I'll post my results over the next few days when i get to hit w/the stix...

any ncode 90 lovers who have creative comparisons? Anyone validate my quandary w/ the K95 (thus a tad pensive over K90)? And anyone have a K90 w/ a N90 paintjob!?!?!?! (just kiddin')

stormholloway
09-03-2009, 09:12 AM
The hyper carbon seems to add a slightly harsher feel. The problem I have with the K90 is that it feels like all the weight is polarized at the ends of the racquet, whereas the T90 and 85 center the mass at the throat, which is what I prefer.

I didn't notice much difference in terms of feel between the K90 and the 88. The 88 obviously has the weight differences but the feel was similar.

FedererClone
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
The hyper carbon seems to add a slightly harsher feel. The problem I have with the K90 is that it feels like all the weight is polarized at the ends of the racquet, whereas the T90 and 85 center the mass at the throat, which is what I prefer.

I didn't notice much difference in terms of feel between the K90 and the 88. The 88 obviously has the weight differences but the feel was similar.

T90 = PS TOUR 90?

Playtimefun
09-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi there... I used to play with the old Prostaff 6.0 85 and gave away 7 racquets when my shoulder started to bug me (yeah I know... dumb move).

I moved to the Wilson Tour 90 (bought 4) and wasnt satisfied in comparison to the old PS 85. I then went to the Ncode Tour 90 (bought 4) and found that I enjoyed the volleying ability of it. Then I bought a few of the new K90s based on the hype of this was supposed to be so close to the good old PS 85.

In the end here is what I found. I volleyed the best and had the best touch with the Ncode 90. To me there was a distinct touch advantage with the Ncode. I did not find that K90 had the same level of control or touch. I could put a lot more spin on the ball when serving with the K90. I cant hit as nice a forehand with the K90 as I can with the N90 but I can hit better backhands with the K90.

Since I own my own stringing machine, I was able to ensure that the racquets didnt have any weird strings or tensions in them. I kept trying various tensions to see if that was part of the problem. But nope, just slight differences in the feel of the racquets.

If I could find some more of the old Prostaff 85s, I would be back to playing with them in a heartbeat. But for right now, I am finding that I am looking on **** again for a few more of the Ncode 90s. I just seem to be able to volley better with them.

I am a solid 4.5 player who specializes in men's doubles and mixed. I generally string my 90's with 18 gauge prince string at 58 pounds. I hit a big american twist serve, but I can also hit the flat serve to the corners. I can hit pretty big power on the forehand, have a poorer backhand and am a very solid volleyor.

A month ago I had to play with one of my K90s as I broke strings in the two N90s that I had brought with me to the tournament (I threw it in the bag as a "I wont need it, but just in case..." thought). I ended up having to play with it and realized that while there are some minor difference between the two racquets, you can make the same shots, you just need to commit to one racquet or the other. You will develope the sense of touch with either. Just takes time.

Tim aka playtimefun