PDA

View Full Version : head youtek radical oversize review

brosamj
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I am a 4.5 player that is a backcourt player for the most part. I have been using the Microgel Radical Pro and I like it quite a bit. I was curious to try out the Youtek Radical Oversize and here my thoughts:

Pros:
I like the size of the racket (107) and it has a nice sweet spot. It is a bigger sweet spot than the Microgel Radical Pro has and that was appreciated.

Good power...you feel like you can really drive the ball.

I liked the overall look of it as well and I enjoy the new absorb grip that Head uses.

I liked it at the net...it felt like I could get to more balls with my reach that would hit cleanly and with some power.

Cons:
It had a weird feel and I am not quite sure how to describe it. When I hit the ball, it seems like the racket is a bit hollow. It doesn't have the regular solid feel when I hit the ball. As I said, I am not sure how to explain it...but it just never felt really good hitting the ball.

Loss of control--I know that is somewhat inherent in an oversize racket...but my shots were one of two things--either right at the line or at the service line. Nothing in between. I usually go for the back lines (probably too much) but I was out by a few inches throughout the match...tough to dial in where I wanted to hit the ball. That would probably improve over time but for now, it was rather frustrating.

Serve--felt OK, not great. It seemed like I had lost a bit of the control...improved the speed of the serve possibly, but a bit more erratic.

Overall--Not a bad racket by any stretch...but I will stick with my Microgel Radical Pro for now.

Jinx
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
thanks for the review, but shouldn't you be comparing your MG Rad Pro to the YT Rad Pro instead of the YT Rad OS?

brosamj
09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
thanks for the review, but shouldn't you be comparing your MG Rad Pro to the YT Rad Pro instead of the YT Rad OS?

Yeah, i should have. Thats why, I tried not to make it really a comparison review...but how I felt about the racket as it was. You are right though, that would have made a much better overview...but I was curious about the OS.

JackB1
09-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Does the OS have more pop than the Pro?

ollinger
09-02-2009, 05:20 PM
The racquet of course IS hollow, but a racquet that has to spread only 11 ounces of material over a 107 sq.in. layout is going to be REALLY hollow.