PDA

View Full Version : Just curious, what do you do if you've got a cold?

meowmix
09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
My family is Asian, so when I get a cold/the flu, my parents give me Chinese medicine, along with some random things like Motrin or Robitussin (sp?). I'm just curious as to what you take when you've got the flu.

flyinghippos101
09-02-2009, 02:35 PM
My mom gives me this soup she brews that she forces me to drink every night, usually the same stuff she gives me to treat "yeet hay" But either than that, it's just time in the bed and cold medication.

Claudius
09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Some hot, spicy ramen always breaks up my cold.

YULitle
09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I take DayQuil, or some other anti-runny nose medicine, for the day time and then I drown it with NyQuil at night.

Cold = NyQuil's bit**. ;)

If it's more than a cold, like dizziness or extreme songestion, I do the same thing, but I stay home. :(

LuckyR
09-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Do whatever makes you feel better and consider zinc.

StuckInMalibu
09-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I think a cold starts with a sore throat then to runny nose and finally a cough.

I usually drink warm and salty soup (noodles, or chicken soup) during the sore throat phase. I keep tissue handy during the runny nose phase. I cover my mouth and wash my hands during the coughing phase.

pabletion
09-02-2009, 05:04 PM
mmm really try not to take too much of anything, dont really like pills and stuff, and it is known that all those cold medicines are not very good for you, plus they dont actually cure you, they just make you feel better. A cold (the virus) is active for about 5-10 days or so, then it deactivates or something and your cold is over by its own. I only take cold medicine if I really feel like crap. Then again, tricks? Drink lots of water, hot soup and rest a loooot.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
What works for me:

-LIGHT exercise on the treadmill
-Sauna
-Steam room
-Jacuzzi

35ft6
09-03-2009, 02:03 AM
Drink a lot of water and eat chicken soup.

PimpMyGame
09-03-2009, 02:06 AM
Chicken phaal.

I usually fight off colds, because I'm living on adrenalin when working. When I go off on holiday, it's guaranteed I start getting a cold within 24 hours.

mikeler
09-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Do whatever makes you feel better and consider zinc.

+1 on the Zinc. You can buy a product like Coldeeze which has it.

adams_1
09-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Drink water and deal with it :P

YULitle
09-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Aren't they saying now that those zinc products, like Zicam, can lead to permanent loss of smell?

mikeler
09-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Aren't they saying now that those zinc products, like Zicam, can lead to permanent loss of smell?

I have not heard that but I'll definitely look into it!

Power Player
09-03-2009, 05:43 AM
I drink a gallon of water or more a day. I also take 3-4,000 mgs of Vitamin C. If I feel a cold coming on and still have some energy, I go exercise and the sweating has stopped it from developing many times before.

albino smurf
09-03-2009, 07:54 AM

There was def a recall on those.

Chicken soup and load on the vitamins.

YULitle
09-03-2009, 08:08 AM
There was def a recall on those.

Chicken soup and load on the vitamins.

Yeah, it was for the ones that are applied directly to the nose. I don't know if it included the oral variety.

fantom
09-03-2009, 08:21 AM

Yep. I used that stuff for my last 3 or 4 colds with good results, but threw the box away when that came out. It was 1-2 months ago when they released that news.

boredone3456
09-03-2009, 08:49 AM
DayQuil/Nyquil. Orange juice/water, and if possible rest. But I'm the type that rarely gets sick and when I do it lasts seemingly forever so I usually just go about my life as best I can and fight it off in due course.

120mphBodyServe
09-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Drink rosehip tea.
Works everytime I get the sniffles/flu.

LuckyR
09-03-2009, 10:26 AM

Yes the nasal sprays did, but the original work was done with lozenges. Trouble was the zinc tased terrible so they tried to get the same effect with sprays and some folks overdid it (as is common with OTC meds). Now they have a swab you put in your nose so it is harder to OD the amount to your smeller.

CaptainInsano
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Lots of FRESH squeezed lemon juice tea with lemon (like 4-5 glasses a day).

Lemons are terrefic to fight cold. Honey makes the drink drinkable.

David_Is_Right
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
My family is Asian, so when I get a cold/the flu, my parents give me Chinese medicine, along with some random things like Motrin

There aren't any proven medicines or treatments to cure or shorten the duration of a cold. You can only treat the symptoms. I'd be interested to know what the Chinese "medicine" consists of?

Motrin is just a brand name for Ibuprofen, a basic analgesic like Paracetamol.

dont really like pills and stuff, and it is known that all those cold medicines are not very good for you

You base this assertion on what, exactly?

I usually fight off colds, because I'm living on adrenalin when working.

What do you do? Adrenalin won't do anything to fight off the virus; it probably just makes you forget about it temporarily.

meowmix
09-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I have no idea what's in them. I know that they're traditional medicine based, but as to what's in them... beats me. My mom got her doctor's degree (when she still lived in China) in Traditional Medicine, so she obviously has some idea what these do. All I can say is that the hot drinks she mixes up taste absolutely horrible. :)

Edit: according to my dad, these medicines are a lot less effective today than anything they had when he was a kid. There's this one thing, called Ban Lan Geng (which is that hot drink I mentioned earlier) that, apparently when he was young, could stop a cold with just two or three cups. He says that it's a lot weaker now and there's too much honey in it...

As for the Motrin thing, I'm aware. Depending on what's on sale, that's what I get. Somehow, it's almost always motrin...

And, apparently, Ban Lan Gen is also called isastis root (spelling?)?

FlamEnemY
09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Tea with honey (natural) and a lemon juice. Delicious and incredibly healthy, yummy.

Edit: It probably only makes me feel better. But for me, there's nothing better than this recipe:)

Steve Huff
09-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Zinc (I suck on the zinc throat lozenges, sometimes 10/day), lots of VitaminC, and lots of fluids.

LanEvo
09-03-2009, 07:32 PM
My mom gives me this soup she brews that she forces me to drink every night, usually the same stuff she gives me to treat "yeet hay" But either than that, it's just time in the bed and cold medication.

yep that soup stuff and the green pills "zhong san yin"