PDA

View Full Version : Serve/Volley Strings?

Mini Roddick
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I was wondering what strings anybody would use for a serve and volley/aggressive game. I want to put a poly on the mains and a multi on the crosses. I have been using Prince Lightning on a Dunlop Aerogel 4d 300 Tour strung at 58 lbs. Thanks for the help :-)!

stanfordtennis alum
09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
one of the students i coach is a serve and volleyer and has had a lot of sucess with the pro supex matri hybrid... any poly with a soft multi should work well

smack that
09-03-2009, 07:17 AM
nAtty gut would work

Lefty78
09-03-2009, 07:37 AM
^Yep, as a whole bed or even with a poly cross.

Aces09
09-03-2009, 01:55 PM
GUT
that's not even a question, use gut. Great juice on serves, and perfect silky smooth touch on volleys. I use full Babolat vs 17 on a KPS88, serve and volley on hard courts and I'm never going back. If you must use a poly, at least try full natural gut once. i'm begging you, spend the money and get some quality string and you'll be happy. If you don't like full gut, then try poly crosses and gut mains.

naylor
09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I'd go along with trying all-gut, I had an AG100 strung with it (tight, towards the top end of the range) and it was a nice serving stick - and it got better as it settled slightly looser. Still, I found that as the S&V improved with the extra power, I started spraying my groundies a bit too long (I tend to hit them a bit too flat).

I now use an all-poly set-up, MSV Hex 1.10, on my AG100s. It's one of the new softer polys, shaped for extra spin. I'm also experimenting by progressively stringing towards the low end of the range. I'm finding I get some very good action on both first and second serves - I play lots of doubles, which is all S&V and serve placement (rather than outright power) and in my last 12 competitive matches I dropped serve just once. And I can rip my returns and still keep them in.

Mini Roddick
09-03-2009, 04:20 PM
GUT
that's not even a question, use gut. Great juice on serves, and perfect silky smooth touch on volleys. I use full Babolat vs 17 on a KPS88, serve and volley on hard courts and I'm never going back. If you must use a poly, at least try full natural gut once. i'm begging you, spend the money and get some quality string and you'll be happy. If you don't like full gut, then try poly crosses and gut mains.

Although it sounds funny, I am reluctant to use a natural gut string because I am vegetarian. Would a synthetic gut work as well? I am thinking of using a poly on the cross so which synthetic gut and poly would you recommend and what tension would you put them at? Thanks for the help.

TonyB
09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd keep the poly in the mains and put the syn gut in the crosses. Or even a multi in the crosses might be better.

Aces09
09-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Although it sounds funny, I am reluctant to use a natural gut string because I am vegetarian. Would a synthetic gut work as well? I am thinking of using a poly on the cross so which synthetic gut and poly would you recommend and what tension would you put them at? Thanks for the help.

Really? That's interesting. The closest multi I've found to gut was Babolat x-cel. I've used the 17 gauge but I think the 16 would be fine too. Wilson's nxt is also a very good string

If I were you, I'd go X-cel 16 mains at 60 and Luxilon ace 18 @ 62 lbs. If you don't like ace, try Luxilon Alu power flouro 17. It's a very good poly.

duusoo
09-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Try Wilson K-Gut 17, full job, or cross with Wilson Sensation. Tension the same on X and Cross.