PDA

View Full Version : Meeting College Coaches-Questions you wish you asked?

10isRocs
09-02-2009, 03:18 PM
For those who have/are playing college tennis. What questions did you "not" ask a coach before committing...that you wish you had? I know the basic questions but if you had to do it over again, what would you have wanted to know prior to signing?

Thanks

tennismom42
09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
For those who have/are playing college tennis. What questions did you "not" ask a coach before committing...that you wish you had? I know the basic questions but if you had to do it over again, what would you have wanted to know prior to signing?

Thanks First there's an old saying, "you can't learn anything if your mouth is open." So I suggest you do a lot of observing when you get there. Take a notebook and make sure the coach sees you writing in it! Write your questions there when you think of them. Odds are they'll be answered in the coach's spiel or via your observations.

What you're looking for: a good fit
what coach is looking for: a good fit

You just can't prepare too much for that.

One thing, I THINK, that you should not talk about is scholarship money, at the first meeting. Either you want to go or not. Either they want you or they don't.

Know yourself and what you need. i.e. some kids grow up in a hot weather state and then go to a cold weather state for college. Suddenly they have to play indoors for the first time & their game goes in the toilet. They're out of their element.

One thing most players fail to do is research the team enough. Look at how many seniors & juniors they have. Are they a team of 7 or 15? Will you get to play? Is that crucial for you the freshman year? You will compete against teams outside your conference, so find out who it will be?

One thing we looked for was a university withOUT a football team. It makes for a really different environment. Classmates and fans actually show up to your matches, etc. I think there's more NCAA $ to go around too.

BTW, all coaches will tell you that everyone teammate gets some scholarship $$. Maybe it's true, may be it's not. It's got to be the most painful thing for coaches of mens teams. (Womens teams have so much more scholarship money.)

a-naik.1
09-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I think the most important thing that you should probably concern yourself is the education aspect. Call me old school, but that's what I concentrated on when speaking with coaches of university. Not everyone is going to go pro, your mind is going to travel further than your skills in tennis ;). Also, if you concentrate on other aspects than tennis, the coach will like that and like your character, just a heads up :)!

goran_ace
09-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Depends...have you already been offered?

10isRocs
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Depends...have you already been offered?

No, just starting to meet with coaches now. School is most important, I have no delusions of going pro.

goran_ace
09-04-2009, 10:30 AM
If you are just starting to meet with coaches now, I would stick to the basic questions and do a lot of listening/observing. If you don't have an offer, you need to still need to sell yourself. Your rankings/results will speak for themselves, you need to give off the impression that you are someone they can rely on and someone they wouldn't mind spending hours with in a van or sharing a hotel room with.

After you have an offer in writing, you can ask the coach the tougher questions and ask current players for the inside scoop on how things really are.

GRANITECHIEF
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
And whether the teamates would be able to handle the extreme topspin during workouts.

Joeyg
09-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Nice post, GC.

GRANITECHIEF
09-24-2009, 02:55 PM
HAHA funny stuff. How's the lineup lookin this year?

Kick_It
09-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Ask to meet and/or talk with guys on the team. You'll spend a lot of time with them if you make the team.