PDA

View Full Version : How long until a racket loses power, stiffness, etc.?

LubbockAg
09-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Or do they? Let's say you have a racket you really like. The new lines come out, and you still prefer your old one. You have now played with the same racket (2 of the same actually) for almost three years. Has the racket lost any of its power, stiffness, etc. or is there really no noticeable change?

meowmix
09-02-2009, 03:26 PM
You wouldn't know unless you picked up a brand new frame.

Even then, with all the control variances, you'd be very hard pressed to tell. IMO, unless you're RF using the same racquet for three years, you'd be hard pressed to find losses of stiffness.

Nanshiki
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
You have to check them on RDC machines if you *really* need to know. A difference of four stiffness points from when the racquet was new is considered to be the limit...

Aces09
09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I loved my k6.1 16x18, I'd gotten it summer of '07 and used it for a whole summer, then took a month off, then used again for almost a year. Then switched away to a different frame. I restrung it recently and it had lost all of it's crispness, all of it's pop. I had made sure to never leave it in the sun or in the trunk of my car, but I guess every racquet has it's lifespan. I can't even touch it anymore, just because it makes me sad to think of how great it used to be. :-(

Classic_Obsession
09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I loved my k6.1 16x18, I'd gotten it summer of '07 and used it for a whole summer, then took a month off, then used again for almost a year. Then switched away to a different frame. I restrung it recently and it had lost all of it's crispness, all of it's pop. I had made sure to never leave it in the sun or in the trunk of my car, but I guess every racquet has it's lifespan. I can't even touch it anymore, just because it makes me sad to think of how great it used to be. :-(

Unless modern rackets are indeed VERY low quality...which I hope not, I don't think your racket changed but your preference in your racket.

I play classic rackets (lots of lots of different ones also) and never found one that was dead. IMO rackets do not change much from years of use unless treated badly.

Kevo
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I played with a cracked ProKennex Asymmetric frame for quite some time. It still played well. I would have bought another one if I could have found one, but I was unable to.

I thought even with the crack it was better than a lot of the new racquets I tried. I doubt a properly made modern frame will lose very much of it's playing characteristics from normal use.

If you are a serious high level junior, college player, or trying to go pro and you play for several hours a day of hard hitting, I could see needing to buy a few frames a year maybe, but you'll probably want that many just to keep enough fresh strings around, so it's probably not a worry for many players.

Danstevens
09-03-2009, 07:41 AM

Stupid question, I know but are you sure you restrung it/had it restrung with the same string setup and tension that you did previously?

Anyway, I find that even with how much I play, the decrease in racket performance is negligible. The drop in performance is so gradual, nobody could really pick it up unless they were to compare a heavily used racket with a brand new one.

Aces09
09-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Stupid question, I know but are you sure you restrung it/had it restrung with the same string setup and tension that you did previously?

Anyway, I find that even with how much I play, the decrease in racket performance is negligible. The drop in performance is so gradual, nobody could really pick it up unless they were to compare a heavily used racket with a brand new one.

I like how everyone seems to think it's my mistake that caused the racquet to lose stiffness. Racquets lose stiffness every time you string it, toss it on the ground, or leave it in the heat. I didn't change anything, the racquet lost stiffness as it got older. Please stop insulting my intelligence. I know tennis racquets just like you guys do.