PDA

View Full Version : Best racquet maker!!!!

sc0tt2288
09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Okay now I'm not too common on gamma and volk and some other brands but what brand has the best quality of raqcuet and which raqcuet do you like the best that they make and why ?

film1
09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I think a few are good and fischer is one of, if not the best.
They are very well made, I don't like the little logo stickers on the throat but
the quality is top notch.

Jack Migger
09-02-2009, 07:29 PM
You're asking for a lot of personal opinions of Yonex probably has the best quality in terms of quality control on their racquets.

My favorite Yonex is their RDX 500MP which is sadly no longer in production. I think they had me in mind when they designed it, such a buttery feel when you hit it...

The_Question
09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Eh...not another "BEST" thread...

MesQueUnClub
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
The best quality on a frame that I have seen to this day is Kneissl. I have a couple of redstars and they are beautiful. I do like the quality of fischer and volkl as well.

diehard6.0
09-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Yonex and Volkl

jwbarrientos
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
1) VOLKL
2) Gamma
3) Head
5) Yonex
6) Wilson

DunlopDood
09-02-2009, 09:15 PM
DUNLOP!!!!

No but seriously, asking which manufacturer makes the best racquet is like asking who makes the best pencils.

fattsoo
09-03-2009, 12:01 AM
DUNLOP!!!!

No but seriously, asking which manufacturer makes the best racquet is like asking who makes the best pencils.

ahhhh, the best pencil maker thread...I vote for CARAN d'Ache

wyutani
09-03-2009, 12:05 AM
no one said babolat?

Eros
09-03-2009, 12:33 AM
imho little brand's frames are better in quality: better materials, better constructivity and no to tollerance in the specific (I think at Volkl, fischer, yonex, pro kennex).

but big brands have the better engeneers (babolat, wilson, head), thier problem is that the quality of retail market frames is low.

in example, you can find in two head frame also 10 gr heavy difference, fisher have no tollerance policy; but the most of players like head more than fischer, cause head have a better feeling

jwbarrientos
09-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Eros, great post!!!

I am not expert in these issue, but heard many people, those who use 5/20 raquects (same model obviously) complaining about differences, colours, weight, etc.

Mostly of them (people I know) suggest to buy all frame at the same time, just to avoid those differences, anyhow they complain.

What you say make perfect sense for me, small companies with tradition are more quality control oriented.

PimpMyGame
09-03-2009, 03:43 AM
1) VOLKL
2) Gamma
3) Head
5) Yonex
6) Wilson

Head and Wilson better than Dunlop? I hope this is a joke...

Oh wait, Head is above Yonex - it must be a joke.

zapvor
09-03-2009, 05:05 AM
its too bad that the big makers can sposnor all the big names even though their quality isnt as good

Eros
09-03-2009, 05:20 AM
15 years age racquest was very expensive (almost here in Italy) but the retail frames were almost the same (or very similar) to the proís ones. Quality was better and life of product war longer...
today big brands invest in sponsorship and advertising, research and development (I suppose) are the same but retail production had became worse. Now we have cheaper racquest, but worse quality.
And than brandís marketing office release new models every years (not ever better than the old ones)...
And we (mad 4 tennis) buy always new racquets

10s4fun
09-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Volkl, Yonex

1st Seed
09-03-2009, 10:29 AM
YONEX,The japanese make the best graphite,highest quality of them all.All of there sticks leave the factory exactly to spec.Wilson and Babo make slap on's.Check out the paint on a RDiS,stunning.

Superspin_AT
09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Today I would say Head, Babolat, Yonex and Tecnifibre.
In former times I would have said Prince, Wilson and Head.

film1
09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
YONEX,The japs make the best graphite,highest quality of them all.All of there sticks leave the factory exactly to spec.Wilson and Babo make slap on's.Check out the paint on a RDiS,stunning.

Dude, Japanese is the appropriate nomenclature

fattsoo
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
YONEX,The japs make the best graphite,highest quality of them all.All of there sticks leave the factory exactly to spec.Wilson and Babo make slap on's.Check out the paint on a RDiS,stunning.

dude, you got to watch what you type here...you might offend a lot of people with that :mad:

1st Seed
09-03-2009, 03:54 PM
To all my Japenese friends Very sorry won't happen again.
Brain fart on my behalf!

iscottius
09-03-2009, 04:32 PM

dude, come on clean it up--edit your post.

SVP
09-03-2009, 04:35 PM

What, they letting the KKK post here now? Pretty soon we'll be seeing "n-word" references.

1st Seed
09-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Done.
10 Characters

Mr.Brightside
09-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Dude, Japanese is the appropriate nomenclature

Are you making a reference to The Big Lebowski?

tapatio
09-03-2009, 06:55 PM
MesQue Un Club,
I agree 110 % with you, Kneissl and Fischer.The best quality on a frame that I have seen to this day is Kneissl. I have a couple of redstars and they are beautiful. I do like the quality of fischer and volkl as well.

jmmtn4aj
09-03-2009, 07:18 PM
imho little brand's frames are better in quality: better materials, better constructivity and no to tollerance in the specific (I think at Volkl, fischer, yonex, pro kennex).

but big brands have the better engeneers (babolat, wilson, head), thier problem is that the quality of retail market frames is low.

in example, you can find in two head frame also 10 gr heavy difference, fisher have no tollerance policy; but the most of players like head more than fischer, cause head have a better feeling

Yonex is a 'little brand'? I was under the impression that they were huge, their racquets dominate the badminton sport..

schu47
09-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Yonex and Volkl, in no particular order. IMO, they consistently turn out racquets with the best quality control.

In the old days, when I was young(er), I really think that Yamaha and Donnay had great racquets.

DownTheLine
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
You guys are complaining that much when someone says jap? LOL

Xtreme
09-03-2009, 09:52 PM
IMO Dunlop and tecnifibre have good if not great QC whereas Head, and Wilson's QC make me sick

stevewcosta
09-04-2009, 07:01 AM
They are all pretty much the same. Spec. variance all over the place (including Yonex). Of the ones that seem to have "no tolerance", their frames are either too soft or have awful grip shapes or both.

drakulie
09-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Let's see. fed and sampras have 29 slams between them. The both played with Wilson.

I would say Wilson is the best. :)

GinoGinelli
09-04-2009, 08:12 AM

jmmtn4aj
09-04-2009, 08:25 AM
How much percentage deviation from stated weight is acceptable tolerance?

PimpMyGame
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
How much percentage deviation from stated weight is acceptable tolerance?

I think 3% is acceptable for most hackers on these forums, myself included. What isn't acceptable is poor weight distribution which ultimately messes with the balance point more than 1pt either way. This is where Wilson and Head fail, if you read about the crap some posters have had to put up with.

JavierLW
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Eh...not another "BEST" thread...

We should have a "BEST" thread on which one of the threads is the "BEST" of all of the "BEST" threads.

Silly youngsters have nothing better to do, they are not happy unless they've defined something that is pretty much undefinable.

(which is ironic since they are basing it on popularity which is not a logical gauge of anything.....)

jmmtn4aj
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I think 3% is acceptable for most hackers on these forums, myself included. What isn't acceptable is poor weight distribution which ultimately messes with the balance point more than 1pt either way. This is where Wilson and Head fail, if you read about the crap some posters have had to put up with.

Actually this makes me curious, how exactly is the balance of a racquet controlled? I was under the impression that the weight was completely contained by the frame materials, so in order for the balance to deviate the frame would have to be a noticeably different shape right..? Do manufacturers control balance by other methods, like putting lead tape inside the frame?

SVP
09-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Haha, someone better tell this lot!

http://www.japfest.co.uk/features.html

P.s can I call people who call me a "Brit" racist now? :twisted:

When 1st Seed posted "Done," I was ready to let this matter rest.

But since Mr. Ginelli insisted on resurrecting this thread, I feel I must respond.

I would challenge anyone to contact a representative of the Japanese govt. (embassy, whatever) and ask if "Jap" is an acceptable term. It is not. When I was growing up in this great country of the USA, I got my face pounded in many times for my Asian features and for being called a "jap" when I was going to school in even though I am not Japanese. "Jap" is not a complimentary term, believe me.

Calling someone a "Brit" in and of itself is not an objectionable term. But calling someone a Brit-redneck-stupidass-peckerwood-****** I think would be offensive. And this is what is the issue at hand. Jap carries a lot of negative meanings. The term "Brits" carries a classy meaning in the USA. So don't try to analogize "Brits" to "Japs", please.

gameboy
09-04-2009, 02:13 PM
All it takes is one racist SOB to ruin a site...

SVP
09-04-2009, 03:41 PM
All it takes is one racist SOB to ruin a site...

Amen, brother.

ClubHoUno
09-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Let's see. fed and sampras have 29 slams between them. The both played with Wilson.

I would say Wilson is the best. :)

Please DO NOT compare Wilson Tour frames with Wilson off the shelve frames. They are two completely different worlds............. :shock:

Yonex and a few other brands, like Fischer and Volkl, specialize in making all their frames live up to certain standards (balance, swing weight, overall weight etc.) whether it's their off the shelve frames or their tour frames.

Wilson and a few other of the big ones do not have such high quality control on their off the shelve frames :mad:

GinoGinelli
09-04-2009, 11:14 PM

GinoGinelli
09-04-2009, 11:25 PM

PimpMyGame
09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Actually this makes me curious, how exactly is the balance of a racquet controlled? I was under the impression that the weight was completely contained by the frame materials, so in order for the balance to deviate the frame would have to be a noticeably different shape right..? Do manufacturers control balance by other methods, like putting lead tape inside the frame?

This, and other methods of increasing weight at point of manufacture, have been known to happen.

In addition if a mould becomes worn or the moulding process is not as good as planned there will be a lack of material moulded which, if not picked up by QC, will lead to a mis-balanced racket.

BigHitterSE
09-05-2009, 12:32 PM
ProKennex - The company once manufactured 70% of the frames on the planet and now focus only on ProKennex - Quality Control is through the roof. What else would you expect from the company that invented the graphite racquet...

SVP
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
By the way, I was going to post a private message to apologise but I can't work out how!

It's okay Gino, your response was enough.

I am impressed by how this thread continues despite a hiccup.