PDA

View Full Version : Lead tape for 4D 300

redfred
09-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey guys.im trying to amp up the ball striking of my new dunlop.If any of you have added lead tape to this stick.please tell me where it is most effective to place on the racquet.thanks alot guys

sciwriter
09-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Hey guys.im trying to amp up the ball striking of my new dunlop.If any of you have added lead tape to this stick.please tell me where it is most effective to place on the racquet.thanks alot guys

I put lead at 3 and 9 and it really made a difference.

1hbhBUX
09-03-2009, 05:41 AM
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. In addition to 3 and 9, add some at 12 if you want power.

Alec78
09-03-2009, 07:02 AM
As long as it doesn't decrease swing speed, even lead at 3 and 9 will increase power by putting more mass behind the ball. The magic combo for me was five grams at 3 and 9 (2.5 g per side), plus 4 grams at the bottom of the throat and a leather grip to make the frame about 5 pts HL (it's 4 pts stock). The result is a solid headlight racquet weighing about 11.6 oz with swingweight about the same. I really notice the power increase on serve when I strike the ball near the top of the frame and get a stable ball with good pace.

AndreFan
09-03-2009, 10:45 AM
I guess I don't understand why players put so much lead on a racket that you increase it's weight by 3/4 ounce or more sometimes.

It doesn't make sense to me. With the 300 4D, why not just go to the "tour" version or even go to the 300 4D?

I think the non-tour 300 4D is plenty powerful and stable in stock form if you are a 4.5 player and above, can generate good swing speed and use the right 17 guage string with the right tension.

There are so many rackets on the market. Why lead up a stick to such a degree that you completely alter its swingweight, feel and maneuverability?

Grizvok
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I guess I don't understand why players put so much lead on a racket that you increase it's weight by 3/4 ounce or more sometimes.

It doesn't make sense to me. With the 300 4D, why not just go to the "tour" version or even go to the 300 4D.

I think the non-tour 300 4D is plenty powerful and stable in stock form if you are a 4.5 player and above, can generate good swing speed and use the right 17 guage string with the right tension.

There are so many rackets on the market. Why lead up a stick to such a degree that you completely alter its swingweight, feel and maneuverability?

Because a "stock" racquet isn't perfected for a singular player. The real question is why WOULDN'T you add lead tape to alter the swingweight, feel, maneuverability, and power of a racquet to meet the specifications that YOU want.

AndreFan
09-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Somewhat true, but too much lead provides, in my opinion, an "artificial" enhancement for the racket. It interferes with the overall feeling you get from the composite makeup of the frame.

To each his own, but I think it's crazy to add so much lead to a frame when there's another one (usually with the same company!) that will meet your specifications.

Grizvok
09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Somewhat true, but too much lead provides, in my opinion, an "artificial" enhancement for the racket. It interferes with the overall feeling you get from the composite makeup of the frame.

To each his own, but I think it's crazy to add so much lead to a frame when there's another one (usually with the same company!) that will meet your specifications.

Not often is that the case. Some people prefer a racquet more headlight, some prefer a racquet more head heavy depending on their preferences and type of game. I don't feel anything artificial at all with my leaded up i.Prestige. It feels like the same great racquet with a little more heft and let me tell you that the extra weight made my game that much better. Would I rather have a custom i.Prestige made for me that was molded to my exact specs without lead tape? Yes, but it isn't going to happen.

But you are right, to each his own. If you don't like adding lead then you don't like adding lead.

James L
09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I used to play with the prostaff classic 6.1 until it finally died. I then upgraded to the k6.1 95, but I did not like it as much as my old stick.

Now, I have the 4D300Tour with lead at 3 and 9 and it feels even better than the ps classic to me. I have two overgrips but might add some lead on the handle later.

James L
09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh, my gf tried the 4D300T and she liked it as well. Except, she wanted something lighter.
I'm trying to get a 4D300 non tour version and I think I'll keep that stock. It would not make sense to add lead on it for her.

So as other poster have been saying, to each his own.