PDA

View Full Version : KPS88 Clay Courters

FedforOne
09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes, I do realize this is about the 100th thread about the K88.

I play on a clay court and have been using the KPS88 and has been very enjoyable. I dont know if there are many clay courters out there using this stick, as it is heavy and has a small headsize.

Any clay courters using this stick. if so, how has your experience been and please list your stringing info.

akybo
09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I guess no one plays with KPS88 on clay :)
I play on clay with a K90,it's not the same yes,but the heaviness of the KPS I dont think it's a problem on clay,the ball is much slower than hardcourts.
Even with high topspin balls,I dont know but I dont have problems with K90,I just step aside and get the ball from bellow.
The only problems I got with the K90 on clay is to my one hand backhand and high spinning balls,I can not whip it's head like other racquets to get my topspin 1hbh so I only slice that kind of balls.

FedforOne
09-03-2009, 11:14 AM
thanks for the reply akybo.

what is your string setup akybo?

i made the wrong decision in stringing the KPS at above 60 (x one biphase 17g) . and there is absolutly no power without taking a massive cut at the ball.

akybo
09-03-2009, 11:10 PM
I strung the K90 at 23kg with MSV Hex 1.10mm,I think this is about 50lbs;I like to have power and depth with my normal swing.

wyutani
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
hmm..thats weird, i though the KPS88 is more for hardcourts. i hear the racquet is so heavy, its near impossible to hit a WW forehand with a weak arm. It also hard to hit a western grip with it.

akybo
09-04-2009, 01:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27vS012u7HY
This guy plays now with a pure drive team+ but he swich from his PS85;look at his forehand,no WW type,his grip is eastern and I can tell you that he hits the ball with much topspin with his PS85 too.
The KPS88 is different,my point is that you dont need western grip or ww forehands to survive on clay.

Meaghan
09-04-2009, 02:12 AM
theres actually not that much difference in headsize between a 88" and 95" even 100". I havent hit with the 88 but my friends 90 is no problem to hit top spin with a full western. Its all a matter of timing whether on clay or hard court, I mean Feds not bad and his tour 90 measures 88"!
As for the bloke above, he may produce good topspin but with a short, flat swing style that muscles the ball, this wont be as effective in creating topspin compared to a full swing that uses rotation.

drakulie
09-04-2009, 05:31 AM
I primarily play on clay these days, and hit with the 88. No problems. The frame provides great spin, so one could either play back and topspin all day, or hit flatter and be more aggressive.

FedforOne
09-04-2009, 06:23 AM
whats your tension and string drakulie?

drakulie
09-04-2009, 06:31 AM
^^^Tension is always in the mid 60's. (around 65)

Strings:

I've been using all sorts of strings, but my favorite so far on this frame is full job of Luxilon Big banger alu power spin 17 guage.

Also, the babolat vs gut full job was amazing. However, this frame is a string eater, and at 40 bucks per set, cant' justify having a set of strings on my frame for one week.

also, am currently trying a full set of pro supex maxim touch. I've used this string before in other frames, and it is awesome. Will see how it performs tonight. Strung it last night at 65 using a Pro Stringing Pattern used by Roman Prokes of RPNY.

Gaucho and/or Global Natural gut also provide a lot of power/spin, and good comfort.

FedforOne
09-04-2009, 06:39 AM
^^^^^Im trying high tension x one biphase 17g (62). but it has very little power. I dont know if it was a fluke or its suppose to be like that cause i heard high tension X one was good.

Do u find ample power with high tension or have u had an instance were it was the strings?

drakulie
09-04-2009, 07:13 AM
FedforOne, I don't have problems generating power at high tensions. I strung a ps85 at 70 lbs with kevlar hybrid, and was hitting serves at 110. Quite frankly the whole argument of lower tensions generating more power is a myth.

For example, if you could hit a serve at 100 mph with a frame strung at 60, and lowered the tension to say 50, you *may* hit serves at 101. This has been proven with research.

What you actually get with lower tension is the ball leaving the string bed at a higher trajectory, and as a result you hit the ball higher over the net and deeper, which gives the illusional you are hitting with more power.

As for strings, I believe they give differnet feel, which results in better power/spin/control.

Best thing is always to try things out for yourself, as everything in this game is relative.

lodeen
09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I've been using the ps85 since the 1990's but I've demo and bought kps88 this year. The string setup on my kps88 is the same like my ps85:
1. Kirschbaum Pro Line I 17L strung at 66 when I feel like top spinning baseline bashing,
2. Gamma TNT2 Pro Plus 17L strung at 60 when I need to serve & volley more and dropshot more and touch shots.

I haven't added lead to the kps88 yet but I am going to lead it up to 14 oz just like my ps85, and I'm going to make it balance more head light like my ps85. I have never gotten tennis elbow and the weight is no prob...I have big fast loopy strokes,use full western fh and 2hbh...can hit topspin,flat, and slice groundstrokes.

The kps88 is the only new stick currently on the market that I like. So many new sticks are too stiff and light. The kps88 feels good and similar to ps85. It is good for my game and I like the feel of the racquet. So many people keep saying it is hard to produce topspin with the ps85 and the kps88 because the heads are so small, but I generate tremendous amount of heavy topspin with both sticks all the time. And I hit the sweet spot almost 99% of the time! ;-)

asianxtreme
09-05-2009, 08:53 PM
i use the KPS88 on clay. I actually think it's superior to the K90 on clay cause the ball is slower. the KPS88 is all about have good strokes and having plenty of time to set it up which definitely goes well with clay. If you have good strokes the KPS88 is really rewarding. It think it's easier to rip the ball or crush winners on clay with the KPS88.
I use Xcel vs. Hurricane Tour at around 54 lbs

a-naik.1
09-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I've hit on clay with my KPS88s and find it quite fun to hit with... Its a good different feel. I have a very long swing so I have a different set up to each ball, but boy hitting my slice is very, very enjoyable :)

FedforOne
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
hey drak. i was going over some old posts on the KPS88 and was wondering if your 88 is bumperless

drakulie
09-06-2009, 07:12 PM
hey drak. i was going over some old posts on the KPS88 and was wondering if your 88 is bumperless

No. However, when I first got the frame and completed my initial review, I then completed a step by step post of how to drastically cut down the weight, swing weight, and make the frame more headlight. I included photos as well to detail the entire process.

Kirko
09-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I primarily play on clay these days, and hit with the 88. No problems. The frame provides great spin, so one could either play back and topspin all day, or hit flatter and be more aggressive.

I play on clay which I don't really like and the K-88 it has it down in spades topspin only adjust the tension lower if this is the surface you like. wilson did an outstanding job with that frame.

FedforOne
09-06-2009, 07:30 PM
did you play with the bumperless racquet? i love the racquet but i cant take the swing weight over a long match. would the bumperless guard effect the longevity of the racquet ?

drakulie
09-08-2009, 06:01 AM
^^yes, I played with it a few days. Didn't like it as much as the heavier one. Not the same plow.

That said, it was magnificent, and the swing weight was much lower.

drakulie
09-08-2009, 06:20 AM
FedforOne, here is a link that will show you photo by photo with a review of how we brought the frames static and swing weight down: (It starts on post # 2612-2616)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=227312&page=131

we brought the strung weight down from 12.9 to 12. 2. More importantly, we brought the swing weight down to 324, and made it 8 pts head light, instead of the stock 6 pts HL.

Enjoy!