PDA

View Full Version : Stringing a Wilson Staff 750 St??

jimbobian
09-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi,

Just got a racket from a client and it is a very old Wilson frame. Can't find the stringing pattern anywhere on the internet and don't trust the previous stringer's pattern because it has 6 knots??? I figured out why it has six knots, and it seems that instead of restringer the whole racket the previous stringer has simply 'patched up' the broken string and the two next door when the string previously broke. I doubt this is a conventional way of doing things and as so don't want to copy his patter or not placing.

So two questions:
1. The string pattern and knot placement for A Wilson Staff 750 St
2. Can this 'string patching' be done or is just the previous stringer not hafving a clue what he's doing and saving himself lots of money??

Cheers in advance

Jimbo

Danstevens
09-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Here are all of the Wilson Staff rackets in the ERSA stringers' digest. Two of the Staff tennis rackets have 750 in their name but all of the Staff ST rackets seem to be for squash. Perhaps by looking at the headsize and string pattern you'll be able to find out if any of these are suitable. I've attached a picture of the search results I got - hopefully one of the Staff rackets in the ERSA Stringers' digest is the right one.

http://i27.tinypic.com/ng963o.png

As for patching up a stringjob, that really isn't a good idea and shouldn't be done. Once one string breaks, you should cut them all out and restring the whole racket. I think you knew that already though.

jimbobian
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks very much, that was a great help. The stringign pattern/tension range fitted the Staff 600, 750 95 line, and I did everything right except the tying off of the Mains in 1pc stringing. I tied off at 6T, whereas the digest recommends 11T, will that make too much of a difference??

Also I will be asking where he had his previous racket strung so I can enquire about their methods!!

Thanks again, Jimbo

meowmix
09-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't always tie off where the manufacturer recommends, because sometimes the string just doesn't fit (graphite matrix). I'm not a pro stringer, but IMO, it just looks more professional if you tie off where you're supposed to. According to some posters on this board, pro stringers don't even look at recommendations when tieing off- they just look at where there's an enlarged grommet (usually works for me...). Also, tieing off closer to the final main reduces the tension lost on that string.